SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-13-18, 01:50 PM   #5896
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default Stumbled on this Re: Battery's

The info in the two graphs linked below reflect values in the pre-WW II submarines, however the TAMBOR class is also pre-WW II and is included in this data. As you know, diesel electric boats had two, then four diesel engines, plus the aux 'Hotel' engine.

Of course the electric engines powered the prop's.

HNSA sure has changed and much of their info is no longer available like the battery tables CCIP (and I) had seen before. These websites are disappearing fast (so grab what is of interest when you find it)... however I was able to find info on HyperWar that may be of interest regarding battery's:
Quote:
HyperWar:
Current Doctrine Submarines
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...oct/index.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...SS-Doct-1.html

Plates:
Page 5
Maximum Time Submerged and Cruising Range vs. Submerged Speed Knots
Figure 1
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...SS-Doct-p5.jpg

Page 7
Submerged Speed Percent of One Hour Rate
Figure 2
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN...SS-Doct-p7.jpg
Also may be of interest:

"1125. Submarines may be expected to submerge in less than 60 seconds."!!!
I don't think they could go on patrol unless they could submerge in less than 60 seconds. This is not an issue in FOTRSU but I had made that statement many times.

I'll go back to re-reading Silent Victory now : )

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 06:11 PM   #5897
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Nice find aanker. I've been on that site quite a lot lately, and never saw that. There are a lot of nooks & crannies there. Of course, it helps if a person comprehends what they read

Silent Victory is very nice (I'm on my 3rd read already), but even it leaves out some details that I'd like to find...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 04:38 PM   #5898
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953
Uploads: 0

when can the next version be downloaded?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 04:49 PM   #5899
propbeanie

We are hammering on it now, trying to meld the different parts into a cohesive whole (not "hole"). We have had to drop some of what we wanted to change, due to other issues being found, but there is still a lot of "new" in this. We have to assemble it and see if it works, then release it here for further "beta" testing... As they say in programming parlance: "Soon", but that might mean a several weeks or longer, especially if things don't go smoothly...

Old 04-15-18, 07:47 PM   #5900
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We are hammering on it now, trying to meld the different parts into a cohesive whole (not "hole"). We have had to drop some of what we wanted to change, due to other issues being found, but there is still a lot of "new" in this. We have to assemble it and see if it works, then release it here for further "beta" testing... As they say in programming parlance: "Soon", but that might mean a several weeks or longer, especially if things don't go smoothly...
Polling team members now to see that their latest work is ready for assembly. I'll let CapnScurvy talk about a change in direction for the main mod that's pretty darned important. He's the engine behind it and deserves the credit and deserves the right to announce it. I'm excited about it.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 09:47 PM   #5901
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

sounds like good news
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 09:20 PM   #5902
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I've noticed this mentioned before so I thought I'd mention it. I've been playing a career out of Brisbane. Came back in from a patrol to the Bismarck Sea and was offered a new command which I accepted. I was transferred to Pearl from Brisbane and took command of the USS Balao on Nov 28, 1942. One more thing I was ordered to drop off a Australian coastwatcher in the Solomons and I'm stationed at Pearl Harbor now. Weird!!!

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 08:30 AM   #5903
propbeanie

We are trying to find the source of the Balao assignment. Your report is at least the third. Two questions though cdrsubron7, what boat did you have prior to the Balao? Does it look like the Balao has appropriate gear for Dec. Of '42?

If you end up getting transferred back to Fremantle or Brisbane, a trip to Truk or the Solomons would be appropriate. Otherwise, that is a bit odd, though Guadalcanal was a 'special circumstance', as far as the 3/5 fleet versus 7th fleet boundary line was concerned, in the use of carriers & amphibious forces went... Certain folks didn't want MacCarthur having the authority to use them, being afraid he'd abandon Guadalcanal and use them elsewhere. Hence the boundary line was moved so that Guadalcanal ended up in the CenPac...

Old 04-19-18, 01:58 PM   #5904
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
We are trying to find the source of the Balao assignment. Your report is at least the third. Two questions though cdrsubron7, what boat did you have prior to the Balao? Does it look like the Balao has appropriate gear for Dec. Of '42?

If you end up getting transferred back to Fremantle or Brisbane, a trip to Truk or the Solomons would be appropriate. Otherwise, that is a bit odd, though Guadalcanal was a 'special circumstance', as far as the 3/5 fleet versus 7th fleet boundary line was concerned, in the use of carriers & amphibious forces went... Certain folks didn't want MacCarthur having the authority to use them, being afraid he'd abandon Guadalcanal and use them elsewhere. Hence the boundary line was moved so that Guadalcanal ended up in the CenPac...
I was commanding a Gar class submarine before I got the Balao. As for the equipment, I'd have to look into that.

One more question, I've noticed lately that the deck gun can only be put on behind the conning tower. I've chosen the bow deck gun numerous times 0.63 and I never get the deck gun on the bow. What gives?

Old 04-19-18, 02:52 PM   #5905
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I think Japanese ship building is getting a little hurried. They didn't even finish the one above.

Old 04-19-18, 05:11 PM   #5906
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Yeah well don't forget there's a Whac-A-Squirrel Special on May 19.... I just thought I'd remind you
Old 04-20-18, 03:35 AM   #5907
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post

I think Japanese ship building is getting a little hurried. They didn't even finish the one above.
o'er... it's transforming into a.... Something.

I'm looking at the zon & dat files now - I think i have it narrowed down to the dat file..

NKMSS_Ansyu - Node 10 - 3D model / Node 81 - 3D model....

Last edited by s7rikeback; 04-20-18 at 05:51 AM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 08:15 AM   #5908
propbeanie

Quote:
I've noticed this mentioned before so I thought I'd mention it. I've been playing a career out of Brisbane. Came back in from a patrol to the Bismarck Sea and was offered a new command which I accepted. I was transferred to Pearl from Brisbane and took command of the USS Balao on Nov 28, 1942. One more thing I was ordered to drop off a Australian coastwatcher in the Solomons and I'm stationed at Pearl Harbor now. Weird!!!
Quote:
I was commanding a Gar class submarine before I got the Balao. As for the equipment, I'd have to look into that.

One more question, I've noticed lately that the deck gun can only be put on behind the conning tower. I've chosen the bow deck gun numerous times 0.63 and I never get the deck gun on the bow. What gives?
Good Morning cdrsubron7! Say, let me ask you this concerning your acquiring the Balao... Did you happen to start at the beginning of the war in Manila? Which boat? ... and you transferred to Surabaya? Which boat? ... and then you went to Fremantle? ... which boat (sorry, again... ) and then you had a Gar somewhere in there, and transferred to Brisbane - maybe??... I'm trying to follow the tangled web they wove for the Asiatic sub fleet. I'm going to guess that you had the Gar prior to being transferred from Fremantle to Brisbane, probably just after or during May of 1942? Then, your score probably is what got you the new boat, since the Gar does not transfer out of Brisbane... ?? Thing is, the Balao isn't available (supposedly) at Brisbane until June 1943, and at Pearl until March 1943... To top it all off, the Balao's "definition" in the game begins on January 1st, 1943... In theory, you shouldn't be able to be assigned one until 1943... I'm looking through old posts in the TMO, RDRDC, and RFB threads to see if I can find any similar reports in those mods. I'll also compare boat dates in those mods.

I forgot to mention the deck gun the other day as well... CapnScurvy found the issue with that, and the next update should have it to where you can have the deck gun at either mount point - it's gonna cost ya though (renown, that is)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Yeah well don't forget there's a Whac-A-Squirrel Special on May 19.... I just thought I'd remind you
Definitely not to be missed... the rest of my life will ~have~ to go on hold beginning May 19th... m u s t - h a m m e r - s q u i r r e l s...

Old 04-21-18, 12:38 PM   #5909
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Good Morning cdrsubron7! Say, let me ask you this concerning your acquiring the Balao... Did you happen to start at the beginning of the war in Manila? Which boat? ... and you transferred to Surabaya? Which boat? ... and then you went to Fremantle? ... which boat (sorry, again... ) and then you had a Gar somewhere in there, and transferred to Brisbane - maybe??... I'm trying to follow the tangled web they wove for the Asiatic sub fleet. I'm going to guess that you had the Gar prior to being transferred from Fremantle to Brisbane, probably just after or during May of 1942? Then, your score probably is what got you the new boat, since the Gar does not transfer out of Brisbane... ?? Thing is, the Balao isn't available (supposedly) at Brisbane until June 1943, and at Pearl until March 1943... To top it all off, the Balao's "definition" in the game begins on January 1st, 1943... In theory, you shouldn't be able to be assigned one until 1943... I'm looking through old posts in the TMO, RDRDC, and RFB threads to see if I can find any similar reports in those mods. I'll also compare boat dates in those mods.

I forgot to mention the deck gun the other day as well... CapnScurvy found the issue with that, and the next update should have it to where you can have the deck gun at either mount point - it's gonna cost ya though (renown, that is)...

Definitely not to be missed... the rest of my life will ~have~ to go on hold beginning May 19th... m u s t - h a m m e r - s q u i r r e l s...
Below is the itinerary for my current career.

1st Patrol

Base: Manila Bay
Command: Sargo class
Patrol Start: Dec 9, 1941
Base Change: Dec 24, 1941 Surabaya
Patrol Ends: Jan 10, 1942

2nd Patrol

Base: Surabaya
Patrol Start: January 28, 1942
Patrol Ends: February 24, 1942

3rd Patrol

Patrol Start: February 27, 1942
Base Change: February 28, 1942 Perth-Fremantle
Patrol Ends: April 8, 1942
New Command: Gar class

4th Patrol

Command: Gar class
Patrol Start: April 23, 1942
Base Change: April 23, 1942 Flotilla moved to Brisbane
Patrol Ends: June 24, 1942

5th Patrol

Command: Gar class
Patrol Starts: July 17, 1942
Patrol Ends: August 21, 1942

6th Patrol

Command: Gar Class
Patrol Starts: September 9, 1942
Patrol Ends: October 4, 1942

7th Patrol

Command: Gar Class
Patrol Starts: October 14, 1942
Patrol Ends: November 27, 1942
New Command: November 28, 1942 Balao Class
Transferred To Pearl Harbor

8th Patrol

Command: Balao class
Patrol Starts: December 17, 1942 Pearl Harbor
Patrol Ends: January 27, 1943

There you have the particulars of my current career, pb. Any other questions, please let me know.

Old 04-21-18, 02:38 PM   #5910
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
o'er... it's transforming into a.... Something.

I'm looking at the zon & dat files now - I think i have it narrowed down to the dat file..

NKMSS_Ansyu - Node 10 - 3D model / Node 81 - 3D model....

Ok, i've found the route cause, as mentioned above... Working on a fix now.
But his has also raised alarm bells on two other units. And these will also need to checked as they get hit..

NKMSS_Ada
NKMSS_Aden