Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-19, 02:33 AM   #1
Piction
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 steam WoS mod need help

I cant seem to get this mod to work. ive done everything I was told on the instructions and yet it still just runs the base game.
Piction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 07:02 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Just an idea: If your harddrive or folder is write-protected, then the mod will or not install correctly or not play out correctly. You must have total computer privileges on your computer. Try starting the game with Admin rights, set the game shortcut accordingly. This will however not work if your game folder is write-protected.

What I would try with the Steam version - and which will probably not work (a reason why I don't buy games on Steam that need modding) is: Once you have installed the stock game in Steam, copy all game files from the Steam game folder into another - free accessible - folder. When starting the TWOS install, point to that folder. After the install, copy back all files in the Steam folder and create a shortcut with SH5.exe that you start with Admin Rights.

This will likely not work for DRM reasons, but worth to try anyway. All I can say is: I have heard from Steam game owners that it is POSSIBLE to play TWOS with the Steam version of the game, so hopefully some of these players will join in here !

Then another tip: If you legally own a game or software, you can use any means you deem useful to make that game or software working, the reason you did buy it in the first place. This can be done.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-09-19 at 07:13 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 07:40 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piction View Post
I cant seem to get this mod to work. ive done everything I was told on the instructions and yet it still just runs the base game.
Quote:
Step 1:
Download The Wolves of Steel _SH5 Expansion Pack_vx.x.x_Full and install the archive to your main Silent Hunter 5 install folder (e.g. "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5"). Make sure to specify the correct path when asked!
Are you sure? Double check your game/mod installation path...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 11:57 AM   #4
Piction
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Are you sure? Double check your game/mod installation path...
but I have tried both. ive put it in the steam folder and ive put it in the uplay folder and neither worked for me. both times I reinstalled the whole game and deleted the mod files.
Old 04-09-19, 12:05 PM   #5
Piction
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Just an idea: If your harddrive or folder is write-protected, then the mod will or not install correctly or not play out correctly. You must have total computer privileges on your computer. Try starting the game with Admin rights, set the game shortcut accordingly. This will however not work if your game folder is write-protected.

What I would try with the Steam version - and which will probably not work (a reason why I don't buy games on Steam that need modding) is: Once you have installed the stock game in Steam, copy all game files from the Steam game folder into another - free accessible - folder. When starting the TWOS install, point to that folder. After the install, copy back all files in the Steam folder and create a shortcut with SH5.exe that you start with Admin Rights.

This will likely not work for DRM reasons, but worth to try anyway. All I can say is: I have heard from Steam game owners that it is POSSIBLE to play TWOS with the Steam version of the game, so hopefully some of these players will join in here !

Then another tip: If you legally own a game or software, you can use any means you deem useful to make that game or software working, the reason you did buy it in the first place. This can be done.
how do I make it not write protected? can I even do that on steam? ive tried looking it up and cant find anything
Old 04-09-19, 12:11 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
but I have tried both. ive put it in the steam folder and ive put it in the uplay folder and neither worked for me. both times I reinstalled the whole game and deleted the mod files.
You should know where your SH5.exe is located. That's where you should direct your mod installation...

Last edited by vdr1981; 04-09-19 at 12:22 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 12:19 PM   #7
Piction
Swabbie

Quote:
You should know where is your SH5.exe is located. That's where you should direct your mod installation...
ya its in the steam folder. I changed it to the steam folder
Old 04-09-19, 03:08 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

When you start game after installing TWoS, what happens? How do you start game exactly, with a shortcut on desktop? After starting, can you see the intro image labeled:
"The Wolfes of Steel" ?

If only the stock game starts as you say, you must have another folder with the game files, a double install. Delete the game shortcut on your desktop, then go into the Steam folder (where you say you have installed TWoS). Inside you should see 7 different folders, 1 with the name TWoS_Parts, exact? Find the SH5.exe and create a shortcut to desktop. Then double-click this shortcut with Admin Rights to start game. If this is all correct I don't think you will start the stock game...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-09-19 at 03:26 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 10:24 PM   #9
tomandre81
Watch

Downloads: 47
Default Re:

Sure you read everything in the install tutorial PDF?
From my experience only about 10 % manage to read an entire tutorial guide. (worked with IT support).

Try reading it again. You might have skipped some important info.
tomandre81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 10:23 AM   #10
Piction
Swabbie

Quote:
You should know where your SH5.exe is located. That's where you should direct your mod installation...
ok so Im going to put it in my steam file. I put it in my silent hunter 5 file in steam. does it need to be in a specific file in there are no?
Old 04-10-19, 11:57 AM   #11
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
ok so Im going to put it in my steam file. I put it in my silent hunter 5 file in steam. does it need to be in a specific file in there are no?
Please write instalation path of your SH5.exe