SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-18, 04:31 PM   #1
Taki1980
Gunner

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Is there any chance i come up again?

Playing Vanilla game with latest Patch and Difficulty "Realistic"

Just hunted down a Landing Force on Norway when i chased 2 Alligator LSH and got Bombed with Depth Charges in Time Compression.

Now im laying on the Ground. Hull is 83% and 1 Section is fully under water.

Is there any chance i can get back to the Surface?

Any way to use Time Compression even with flooding?
Taki1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-18, 09:03 PM   #2
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Have you tried to pump out the department?

Are you above 600 ft. of water? in less than 600 ft. of water you can abandon ship and hope to get rescued.

I use big wireless headphones to listen...for whatever I can listen for.

As a cheat, I have noticed that the depth of the sea floor tends to be at certain numbers in shallower waters. When running at flank speed and time compression I stay 120 ft. off the bottom and am watching the screen fairly closely. I have run into the bottom a few to many times.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 05:55 PM   #3
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

1) Set prop turns to 0 as soon as you know you're going to bottom out. Try to touch down level, with no forward momentum and as softly as you can.

2) Get the repair crews working in the flooded compartment as soon as you can after doing #1
3) Don't sit too long, it seems like the sub sinks into the muck over time
4) Blow ballast and wait 20-30 seconds

If you begin to rise, great. If you don't...

5) Set dive planes to +5
6) Slowly increase prop turns, 1 knot, 2, 3 etc. If this is going to work, it will work before or at 5 knots. More planes won't help as it just drives your rudder into the muck. Sometimes Davy Jones' Locker isn't closed quick enough to keep you in.

*** Don't let yourself sink to the bottom. Before then, boost forward speed and increase dive plane angle to counter the sinking. Blow ballast and and do the opposite - use speed and negative planes to stay submerged. I've been able to keep a badly flooded sub off the bottom - handles like a wet sponge but coming to a stop or trying not to cavitate would have been the end. Rather be hit by a torp than to sit on the bottom tapping the hull with a wrench.

My crew must be incompetent. I'm managing an engagement and not a single sailor out of more than 100 can be bothered to mention the floor is getting wet...

Last edited by CDR DPH; 08-01-18 at 06:07 PM.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 06:49 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I played for a long time, but still don't know: Can you implode by going too deep with damage? I was damaged and as far as 1000 deep I think... by hitting the wrong keys
I remember it was a hard time to stabilize at 200+ by equaling the flooding between compartments, then once going to 200 the flooding eventually stopped. Going below 250 would again start flooding. But this was in 1.06 and may not reflect gameplay in current version.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 01:22 AM   #5
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
I played for a long time, but still don't know: Can you implode by going too deep with damage? I was damaged and as far as 1000 deep I think... by hitting the wrong keys
I remember it was a hard time to stabilize at 200+ by equaling the flooding between compartments, then once going to 200 the flooding eventually stopped. Going below 250 would again start flooding. But this was in 1.06 and may not reflect gameplay in current version.
You do implode if you get too deep with flooding. Though my implosion was quick and spectacular as I took a torpedo amidships while trying to dodge
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote