SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-17, 01:39 PM   #1
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default How to alter Deck Gun Damage values?

Playing with TWoS Mod and loving it!

However, it just took me almost my full stock of 62 HE shells and over a dozen AP to finish off a tanker hit by 1 torp...

I'm finding that the DG is a little too nerfed for my liking in this Mod...

I want to be able to finish off a torp'ed tanker with a dozen or so HE shells as was done in RL... (I'm assuming that's why deck guns were mounted in the first place!).

How do I alter the DG damage values and what are the settings?

Thanks!
Charlie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 03:32 PM   #2
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

you probably can finish off that Tanker with 10-15 well placed rounds....but it might take longer than you expect. Have you tried that and just waited for it to sink? I've waited a couple of hours a couple of times.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 05:22 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Charlie
You might find this useful
Compatible with TWOS.
Critical Hits v 1.2 For The Deck Gun > Enable JSGME

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 05:30 PM   #4
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
you probably can finish off that Tanker with 10-15 well placed rounds....but it might take longer than you expect. Have you tried that and just waited for it to sink? I've waited a couple of hours a couple of times.
I've noticed that as well but never saw the sinking ship ICON on the NAV Map so I figured it was never going to sink.
Charlie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:07 AM   #5
Sauroketh
Mate

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie901 View Post
I've noticed that as well but never saw the sinking ship ICON on the NAV Map so I figured it was never going to sink.
Same thing, something is messed up with map marks. I recall them remaining there for eternity, then, can't tell when exactly, they either do not appear, or DISAPPEAR along with my notes and lines and circles. Grid map, pen and paper by my side are as useful as ever.
Sauroketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:09 AM   #6
Sauroketh
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Charlie
You might find this useful
Compatible with TWOS.
Critical Hits v 1.2 For The Deck Gun > Enable JSGME

Peter
Thanks, sir,
I'm meddling with the same setting in Silent Hunter IV currently...
Your hint is extremely usefull...

P.S. But still, how do I find the appropriate ID for the ammo string for THE deck gun equipped? There are about 100 shell types in the shell.zon file...

I take it, shells.DAT has the clue, just say if I'm digging in a right direction or no...

Last edited by Sauroketh; 04-16-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:10 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauroketh View Post
Same thing, something is messed up with map marks. I recall them remaining there for eternity, then, can't tell when exactly, they either do not appear, or DISAPPEAR along with my notes and lines and circles. Grid map, pen and paper by my side are as useful as ever.

It depends wether you save and reload your journal. To keep marks (only supermarks and destroyed ship marks!), save journal before you quit game, and always reload journal when you load a save. Without doing this it can happen that all your marks are concentrated somwhere on the map, at the wrong position, but this is just a memory effect of TDW files, the marks should not be there at all. To correct this, quit session and delete all draggable TDW files in your main game folder, they will be re-created at new game start and ghost markers are gone on your map.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:23 AM   #8
Sauroketh
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
It depends wether you save and reload your journal. To keep marks (only supermarks and destroyed ship marks!), save journal before you quit game, and always reload journal when you load a save. Without doing this it can happen that all your marks are concentrated somwhere on the map, at the wrong position, but this is just a memory effect of TDW files, the marks should not be there at all. To correct this, quit session and delete all draggable TDW files in your main game folder, they will be re-created at new game start and ghost markers are gone on your map.
So THAT'S the thing... I've got to save TWO saves - one at a time - the saved game, a general "state of things", and the journal separately?
Old 04-16-19, 11:05 AM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauroketh View Post
So THAT'S the thing... I've got to save TWO saves - one at a time - the saved game, a general "state of things", and the journal separately?

Yes, AFAIK you must save the journal separately and always load it after loading your savegame. I don't know if this can be made automatic, Veko (aka vdr1981) knows this for sure.
Old 04-17-19, 01:15 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie901 View Post

The mod suggested by Peter 'THEBERBSTER' will do a fine job for you, but I notice that in TWoS it can take a considerable time until a ship sinks. In one of my attacked convoys, a damaged ship that went away at 6 knots exploded later, 3000 yards away while I was escaping underwater. So it really can take awhile.
Check on the NavMap if there is the detroy ship icon, but if you play RN or with reality settings you may not see this. In essence: the ship is already destroyed but takes long to sink. Charging it with the deck gun will not change situation I think.
On the other hand: with bad weather a damaged ship can sink due to the weather and high waves, in this case, too bad, you won't get credits for it...

In all cases, keep a ship in visual or sonar range until it sinks to get credits for the sinking, once ship is out of sight you won't be credited.

Hope this helps! Cheers,

XS
Old 04-17-19, 05:18 PM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

@Sauroketh,

I have new information about saving the journal:

You do as I describe above, that's right, but addionally if you activate your journal in the Main Menu of TWoS it will automatically use and update the journal when you continue your career, so you don't need to reload the journal every time you load your savegame.
Just save a new journal in-game during a new career, and also activate it in the Main Menu, it will stay activated there until you close it. TWoS will take care of everything else.

I hope this helps you

Good hunting!