Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 11-22-08, 12:02 PM   #46
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
what irritated me is that you talked of "reviews", and in plural. To my best knowldge, so far there is no review for SF.
yeah, how could I have forgotten the german PRECISION in the use of terms?

That's what happens when you talk in english in a forum with a german moderator. Verdammt! :p

EDITED:

No WAIT!!!! I caught you!!! You said:

Quote:
Yes I know these previews
But at least one of them is a REVIEW, the other is a PREVIEW!

See what I was talking about? You are german and by ta¡king in english you also made imprecise use of the language

Die deutsche Sprache ist eigentlich die beste wenn es zu Genauheit kommt

Last edited by Hitman; 11-22-08 at 12:05 PM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 05:09 PM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Messing with the moderator, eh?

There are two sticky threads, one on TvT, one on SF. Originally I had listed previews on TvT, but when the reviews came, I replaced the previews with the reviews.

So far there is no review on SF (as long as it has not been released today, I was busy and haven't searched the net this afternoon and evening).

And it is "Die deutsche Sprache ist eigentlich die beste wenn es um Genauigkeit geht."

P.S.
Tracking status of my order of SF has advanced from "processed" to "completed". Think it should arrive in the first half of next week - I'm living around 60 km from the Dutch border...

Last edited by Skybird; 11-22-08 at 05:20 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 05:19 PM   #48
Skybird
Soaring

Here is the "review" by Zipuli that Lieste has mentioned.

Zipuli is no unknown in the Steel Beasts community, he has done some clever scenarios and seems to know some background stuff on tanking.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...ad.php?t=12589
Old 11-22-08, 06:20 PM   #49
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
And it is "Die deutsche Sprache ist eigentlich die beste wenn es um Genauigkeit geht."

Mein deutsch ist zu eingerostet.....(Ich spreche es nicht häufig seit fast 15 Jahre)
Old 11-22-08, 07:25 PM   #50
Skybird
Soaring

You speak more German than I speak French, not to mention: Spanish.
Old 11-23-08, 08:00 AM   #51
Lurchi
Planesman

Downloads: 34
So i played Steel Fury a little bit this weekend. I think i am really going to like it: Performance is really good on my medium-sized 2,66GHz, Nvidia 9600, 4 Gig, Vista 64 System.

I cannot say so much about the realism and AI behaviour so far as my experience with tank simulations is rather limited. The last one i played intensively was an SSI game named Tank Commander or similar.

Of course the usual thing happened too: Obvious bugs that i found out after the first hour of playing such as missing target reticle in the Panzer IV (fixed by a patch) or Tanks loosing their tracks all the time (caused by an error of using the "T" key which is obviously used for Track repair but also turning the periscope).

I will never understand how a game can be sold with such obvious bugs. But this is only minor stuff and i think that SF is pretty good and will be even better after the first patch.
Lurchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-08, 08:28 AM   #52
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurchi
I will never understand how a game can be sold with such obvious bugs. But this is only minor stuff and i think that SF is pretty good and will be even better after the first patch.
Both bugs seem to affect the German version only, and are not known in the russian version, as I understood the disucssion. It is a localisation issue. At least it already is fixed by the community, and is said to get treated in a first unofficial quick patch as well.

Wowh, for my usual unforgiving attitude regarding obvious bugs, I sound surprisingly tame this time!
Old 11-23-08, 06:21 PM   #53
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Preordered it now, there are pretty much only positive feedback so far, and this is great news. I really hoped it would be good.
Old 11-23-08, 08:06 PM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

a blogger's review here:

http://sfkharkov.blogspot.com/

And this, in another forum one of the developers said that the work on the addon "Fall Blau" is not just underway, but already is completed.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-23-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 09:46 AM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

Got it, ten minutes ago, when the door bell rang.

Engaging testing mode now.
Old 11-26-08, 04:52 PM   #56
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Got it, ten minutes ago, when the door bell rang.

Engaging testing mode now.
I'm quite curious what you have to say about it....dont feel rushed now
Old 11-26-08, 06:08 PM   #57
Shiplord
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

I have my version now since the weekend and I must say a good game, but not the big hit. I'm playing at the highest level of realism and I find the missions are to easy, ok I have only played the German campaign so far but my feelings are it is like an advanced arcade game that tries to be a full tanksim. It is somehow a little of both, but both not correct in a way it meant to be. It's sometimes funny to see the broken AI, when your friendly units don't know where to move and performing a tank ballet in the russian desert.

I hope the modders can furnish this game and make it a way more hardcore, with better AI, more enemy units and better campaigns.

...back to SBP for now
Shiplord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 06:19 PM   #58
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiplord
I have my version now since the weekend and I must say a good game, but not the big hit. (...) my feelings are it is like an advanced arcade game that tries to be a full tanksim
That sums up well my first impression after just four missions played. That I am not seriously disappointed is because I honestly did not expect anything much different from what I now have gotten.

Until here i think more in terms of "game" than "simulation".

I will do an unofficial review, not like with SBP or Tokyo Express, but like I did for Condor.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-08 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 11:38 PM   #59
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

A bit harsh? Or have everything changed since the demo?
Old 11-27-08, 03:38 AM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
A bit harsh? Or have everything changed since the demo?
Not harsh, just unhyped and trying to be realistic. My views on the demo here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143670
The final game sees improvements over the demo, but not to the degree I meanwhile learned to hope for after reading the feedback and two previews at simHQ and Armchair General. It seems that many people are so desperately waiting for a solid WWII-based tank simualtion, that they are willing to forgive a lot when talking SF up (or TvT, for that matter). Main problem with SF is the terrible AI and the way in which the mission (=gameplay) unfolds. It always seem to be the same hail mary pass and then all is rushing forward, no matter what. Once in the objective zone, tanks start to zigzag back and fourth and left and right like in a stockcar race, not knowing about anything and where to go and what to do. Force cohesion is an alien term, taking hull-down positions I still wait to see, no defensive cover taking seem to ever happen. waypoints or mission obkjectives in the map seem to dominate over healthy reason when to expose your flanks and rear, and when better not (and that you better avoid always!) For an "epic" battle simulator, the tank forces I saw this far were relatively small in size, not even company sized, maybe in later missions there is greater forces to see. Target selection during a storm assault is - sit down and shake your head for a while, thats what target selection is like. The infantry 5 meters in front of you gets it with the main gun , the tank 200m away gets ignored. I have 5 missions now, but tactical finesse, any raffinesse at all, I'm looking for in vain. The interface is sub-optimal.

I've started to make first notes and drafts, there does not seem to be much more to discover, I unfortunately have to say - and I am already loosing interest. In schoolnotes, and taking the print on the box serious that says "an epic tank battle simulator", I am currently at a C- or D+ or D, something in that range. Not a desaster, but then again - also nothing so good you would call it a must-have. As an action game, it is acceptable and then combines the WWII-theme nicely with uncomplicated mission playing (but a complicated interface). seen that way, you could rate it as a B-, C+ or C.

And no, I do not talk it down in favour of SBP. I will compare it to SBP as well - if you want to judge a new tank title, you need to compare it to the standards set by the benchmark there is, it's only natural - but in a strictly separate chapter.

That's it for the moment, and i am already rushing ahead. No more word on SF from me until I'm finished.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-27-08 at 04:05 AM.