Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 11-16-07, 12:07 PM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Even better protected than the M1A2 and the challenger 2 ?

Think so, but that is just me.

Hmm, the 2A6 don't have an reenforced roof doesn't it ?

Think not, altough the turret has a redesign in armour.

Every heared of the Leopard 2 PSO ?

Yes. special design for action inside urban areas.

Yes, but isn't the thermal imager installed right besides the scope in the peri ?

Don't know.

How is it now in SBPE ?

Units appear with variable time dealys for updates, to simulate the time radio comms take. It is a map dpeending on radio comms. It is not really a digital IVIS-kind of device.

you have so many detailed and special questions, I think it really is the time for you to move and get the sim. It's an investement for years to come.
Old 11-17-07, 07:18 AM   #32
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird

Think so, but that is just me.
That could be the case, judging by the weight but the M1A2 has depleted uranium protection, I am wondering whether the "green" tanks can match this somehow.

I can faintly remember one friendly fire incident in iraq where a Challenger 2 was mistaken by some M1's with an enemy and got saboted a couple of times from different sides from a farily close range, till they understood that it's an allie. Non of the penetrators had made it past the armour. At least that is what I remember.

And the DM53 ? What, it can penetrate through 1000mm RHA from 3000 meters away ???

Quote:
Hmm, the 2A6 don't have an reenforced roof doesn't it ?

Think not, altough the turret has a redesign in armour.
Oh really ? Is there a source somewhere. All sources that I have read so far mention that it got this extra armour plates on the front but nothing about a turrer armour redesign.

Quote:
Every heared of the Leopard 2 PSO ?

Yes. special design for action inside urban areas.
This secondary weapon station is sexy and what I always wanted to have!

Quote:
Yes, but isn't the thermal imager installed right besides the scope in the peri ?

Don't know.
It certainly is integrated into the peri. How else is it supposed to be able to cover 360° ?

Here we go:
http://www.kotsch88.de/f_leopard2.htm#PERI
http://www.zeiss.com/C1257088004A3F3C/EmbedTitelIntern/53_0110_e_PERI_R17A2/$File/53_0110_e_PERI_R17A2.pdf

So why doesn't it turn with the peri in SBPE ? What did the devs say about it ?

Quote:
How is it now in SBPE ?

Units appear with variable time dealys for updates, to simulate the time radio comms take. It is a map dpeending on radio comms. It is not really a digital IVIS-kind of device.
At least something. I remember now in that one video the enemy units being displayed as tactical symbols, instead of single units. How is it when an enemy platton gets destroyed. Does it appear immediately as destroyed on the map as well or dies this need confirmantion as well ?

What type of tanks are there now on the german side ?

So I see here a Leo2A4 an 2A5 and a Leo1A4, or what is it ?

Are there any other variants ?

Also do you know the armour values that are being used for this tanks in SBPE ?

Quote:
you have so many detailed and special questions, I think it really is the time for you to move and get the sim. It's an investement for years to come.
Bah, don't tease me. I better watch it from the distance and keep working on my sim.

Last edited by Deamon; 11-17-07 at 07:30 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 09:24 AM   #33
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Demon, I am no expert on tanks, they even do not interest me so much as some people maybe think because of my love for SBP. I love SBP mostly for two reasons only: it is a great way to play hide and seek, which is my favourite of all games there are, and it is immersive. What I know about tanks comes from things that I have snapped up by reading here and there, SBP, the eSim forum, and some healthy reason. That'S why I cannot give you detailed spoecial information. You better ask these things over the the SBp forums - plenty of real world tankers there.

That could be the case, judging by the weight but the M1A2 has depleted uranium protection, I am wondering whether the "green" tanks can match this somehow.

The German MEXAS armour is a multi-layer armour basing on the chobham armour design, that can be replaced in moduls. It is a special kind of steel that is only used by the Germans and is top secret. I read opinions that due to it's design and composition, it can rival American armour - it is said to be incredibly tough. The addition of Uran to the early M1 armour did not make the M1 something "über", but roughly brought it to the level of top armour in the world today. And the laminate armour the C2 and the Leo2A5/A6 use, also play in that league. Below a certain medium range, all these armours cannot stand the impact of a modern western SABOT, no matter what. In Iraq, Abrams got taken out with frontal shots by RPGs, not too mention the flank and rear...

Also, be careful with weight numbers when comparing - most often it is not mentioned if additional optional armour, skirts and such are being counted, and these skirts for example are not used in every tactical condition. the difference of "naked" and "armoured" Leos is in the range of several tons. The "fully" armoured Leo2A5 is around 70 tons, while usually it is listed with weights in the range of "only" 62-65 tons.

I can faintly remember one friendly fire incident in iraq where a Challenger 2 was mistaken by some M1's with an enemy and got saboted a couple of times from different sides from a farily close range, till they understood that it's an allie. Non of the penetrators had made it past the armour. At least that is what I remember.

Depends on ammo type and range. That a C2 survives several flank hits by an american SABOT of that time at "close range" I do not believe before I see it. Long range - possible. Medium range - problematic. Close range: no chance. there were some incidents in 91, though, were Abrams received Iraqi hits by T72s even at close range, and survived. however, since 2003 we have seen reports and pictures of not few M1A2s being taken out with frontal hits by RPG and the like.

Oh really ? Is there a source somewhere. All sources that I have read so far mention that it got this extra armour plates on the front but nothing about a turrer armour redesign.

If you mean that wedge-like frontal MEXAS armour, no, that did not come with the A6, but already with the A5. They changed some thing with the location of devices in the turret area for the A6, and new smoke launchers at least for the Swedish, I think, so they needed to redesign the turret flank as well. But I do not know the details.

It certainly is integrated into the peri. How else is it supposed to be able to cover 360° ?

Ask them, I do not know, and do not care. I am only interested in the features of SBP and in how far they represent reality, and if they say that the different viewing angles of TC's thermal poiting at 11 o'clock and the thermals of his at 3 o'clock, I am not in a position to question that. But the Leo2A5 is one of the main proects for their military customers. If they got it wrong, they would have been demanded from the first day on to correct that feature, since it is part of the primary training content.

At least something. I remember now in that one video the enemy units being displayed as tactical symbols, instead of single units. How is it when an enemy platton gets destroyed. Does it appear immediately as destroyed on the map as well or dies this need confirmantion as well ?

there are time delays. Individual vehicles, if i remember correctly, are sometimes displayed as well. Destroyed vehicles are always displayed as individuals, if a friendly has visual confirmation for the kill.

What type of tanks are there now on the german side ?

I listed the complete vehicle park in my review. Only the Swedish units must be added: Strv 122, CV9040 B and C. they came in form of the first addon.

So I see here a Leo2A4 an 2A5 and a Leo1A4, or what is it ?

Different variants of the Leo-1, yes: australian ones. difference for the main is in the sights equipment.

Also do you know the armour values that are being used for this tanks in SBPE ?

From the mission builder I can access tables for the ammuntion models, so I can see what values each weapkn system has, but the armour specifics are not listed. Which may be a secret even within their business anyway. Bt I can tell you that if you get hit in a Leo1, chances are you will not survive it. They are obsolete, i personally use them with as much tactical care as I operate an IFV. Or better, I play the sim almost exclusively from the seats of the 2A5, and only rarely the CV9040.

I'm not really in any need for new vehicles.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-17-07 at 09:38 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote