Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 12-19-08, 10:36 AM   #121
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

simHQ's review by Magnum is out.

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_116a.html

Those of you hating me for saying it is a good game but a not convincing sim, and with too many problems and shortcomings, will love to hear that Magnum treats it more gentle than I did.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-19-08 at 10:37 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 01:40 PM   #122
Magnum50
Armor combat editor

Downloads: 0
lol

Thats because Magnum don't know poop about what a WW2 tank was capable of, he doesn't know how thick the front armor was and what type of round at what range it could be penetrated, he doesn't know how much lead you need at what angle and speed to engage a enemy tank, and which of the 5 different types of rounds to use... (well actually I do, the AP one, lol)...

What Magnum does know is that Steel Fury is a GREAT game for 40 bucks, with some problems and issues, and with so few WW2 armor sims out their this is a must buy...

What Magnum does know that reviews are opinions, and opinions are like.... lol, nevermind... but we all have one.

Magnum believes that a review of a game should be mostly, whats in it, what works, and what don't, and lite on the personal opinion.

Magnum is also more concerned about readers opinions on this game review then any other he has reviewed, because of his lack of knowledge in WW2 armor, and the passion of simmers.

And finally Magnum can't stand talking in third person... lol...

Seriously... Thanks for the link share, don't expect all to agree, especially persons looking for a true hardcore type simulation... thou with all the realism options on, I'd say it's hardcore enough.
Old 12-19-08, 03:51 PM   #123
Lieste
Soundman

Well I read both and got the same impression from both... Nice to look at, some sound issues, AI occassionally loses the plot completely. Not truely 'Epic' in scale despite the hyping, a fun game, and worth $40.

I assessed it as being a title to follow the progress of, but I personally can use that $40 more usefully elsewhere 'today'.

Maybe something got a bit lost in the translation somewhere as unless I'm mistaken Skybird is a non-english as a first language kind-of-guy.

I did think the TvT review was probably a touch over-enthusiastic though (yep I know not either of you guys).
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 04:04 PM   #124
Skybird
Soaring

Magnum, it was a well-written, fun-to read review, and we agree when saying it is a good game, you said it that way at the end of your review, and so did I at the end of mine. We just disagree in our levels of forgiveness for some other shortcomings. So, if your ironic tone is a sign of anger about me mentioning you "treated it more gentle" - no need to be that, I think. It was not meant to minimize your review, just to say you judged some aspects of it by more forgiving standards than I did.
Old 12-20-08, 05:02 AM   #125
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

Thank you Skybird and Magnum for your reviews. I have already bought the game, but usuallly I like to wait until after reviews appear, and then it's good to read diverse opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of the game.

I am quite happy with Steel Fury in its current form (after the unofficial patch). I think Steel Fury does a good job at simulating tank combat, thanks to the excellent terrain and the combination with AI infantry and artillery. I don't know much about armour penetration values etc, but it "feels" OK to me, and that's usually realistic enough for me . For me the realism of SF lies in the possibilities to use combined arms tactics and the feeling of "being there" when I see the infantry guys ducking for cover in their trenches.

One thing though that needed more attention in both reviews, I think, is the poor quality of the game manual. It's badly translated English, which can be very confusing, and it does not clarify some essential game functions.

Last edited by EAF274 Johan; 12-20-08 at 05:05 AM.
EAF274 Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 02:24 PM   #126
Pillar
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

After spending some more time with the game I think there is loads of potential here, and generally it's a good tank sim. The AI does need work, but that's a decent problem to have because it is one that can be overcome. Part of the problem with infantry is not their "Tactical AI" subroutines but the scenario design. When you see mobs of infantry running over the open, for example, that is scenario design. If you want them to take covered routes to their objectives, you need to build your own mission for that.

If you could somehow go into map mode and actually issue orders to any unit, like movement and target directives, including movement type and speed, the game might even be revolutionary for WW2 tactical games in general. (Hint.)
Pillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 04:14 PM   #127
Skybird
Soaring

I agree on the chances of modding - if the AI can be adressed by modders, else modding would be limited to cosmetical changes like skins, models, visual FX, that does not improve gameplay. Also, sounds are in urgent need to be adressed (volume corresponding to range is essential, dynamic sound travelling would be desirable). And finally, pathfinding routines, and behavior/manouvering under fire: that has little to do with mission design, but is touching the issue of AI micromanagement of units - and there is need for improvements.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-20-08 at 04:20 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 09:40 PM   #128
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

hmmm, you know, could there be a chance that one can put the fully modeled tiger for T-34 Vs. Tiger into Steel Fury? I mean, would the two games be similar enough to cross-mod?
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 02:21 AM   #129
zvlad
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAF274 Johan
Thank you Skybird and Magnum for your reviews. I have already bought the game, but usuallly I like to wait until after reviews appear, and then it's good to read diverse opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of the game.

I am quite happy with Steel Fury in its current form (after the unofficial patch). I think Steel Fury does a good job at simulating tank combat, thanks to the excellent terrain and the combination with AI infantry and artillery. I don't know much about armour penetration values etc, but it "feels" OK to me, and that's usually realistic enough for me . For me the realism of SF lies in the possibilities to use combined arms tactics and the feeling of "being there" when I see the infantry guys ducking for cover in their trenches.

One thing though that needed more attention in both reviews, I think, is the poor quality of the game manual. It's badly translated English, which can be very confusing, and it does not clarify some essential game functions.

Thanks for opinion on game.
We (developers of Steel fury) did not do the English version of game.
The legal owner did an English translation.
From news:
We update our site - www.graviteam.com
Including resources on game of "STEEL FURY:Kharkov1942"

homepage:
http://graviteam.com/games/steel-fury-kharkov1942.html
forum
:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0
review
:
http://graviteam.com/games/steel-fury-kharkov1942.html?action=reviews

Company GRAVITEAM congratulates ALL
With Christmas and coming New Year!!!
http://graviteam.com/assets/images/screenshots/new_year_2009-1.jpg

With the best regards
Vladimir Zayarniy

Last edited by zvlad; 12-22-08 at 02:22 AM.
zvlad is offline   Reply With Quote