SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-18, 11:01 AM   #1
Aviv
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0
Default How do you positively ID ships at night/long range?

Compared with SH4 where most of the freighters in your patrol zone will be friendly, how do you ensure that a given ship is enemy when you can't make out the flag on the mast? How do you know if it belongs to a neutral or friendly country when it's night and stormy?

In my current campaign it's September 1940 and I am having a hard time finding targets I don't want to pass up the chance to add to my puny tonnage.

Any tips?
Old 01-23-18, 11:50 AM   #2
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv View Post
Compared with SH4 where most of the freighters in your patrol zone will be friendly, how do you ensure that a given ship is enemy when you can't make out the flag on the mast? How do you know if it belongs to a neutral or friendly country when it's night and stormy?

In my current campaign it's September 1940 and I am having a hard time finding targets I don't want to pass up the chance to add to my puny tonnage.

Any tips?
HI Aviv

You could turn your Gamma up in video settings its a little bit of a cheat that may make enough difference to see the flag.

Depending on what mods you use and setup Neutral ships show up as Green ,Enemy Red friendly Blue on the Nav map . I'm guessing you already know that

Sometimes some ship types are only built for certain countries but you would need an accurate ID for that, possibly by getting into position with the moon silhouetting the ship

I use Sh5 + WOS Mod there is periscope filters which can sometimes help brighten the image enough

Otherwise I think the only other option is to trail the ship(s) on the surface at a distance you can't be spotted until there is sufficient daylight. Just don't go too mad with the TC or you could loose contact or run to close and be seen, resulting with destroyers homing in on you

It all depends on how "real" you want to keep things

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: gif animated-union-jack-01.gif (7.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Cyborg322; 01-23-18 at 12:10 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 12:27 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

In the stock game I don't know, but in TWoS:

As optional TWos mod you load the

TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID

If you play with Manual TDC:
On your optics, you select target, ask weapon officer to follow target; then ask WO to identify target, it's the first icon on the left in the series of icons.

If you play with Auto TDC:
On your optics, you select target, ask weapon officer to follow target; switch off Auto TDC (click on the guy's face); then ask WO to identify target, it's the first icon on the left in the series of icons. Then undo the follow target and switch back on Auto TDC.

A lot of steps, isn't it?...

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-23-18 at 12:39 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote