SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-09, 05:28 AM   #1006
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

:rotfl:
In HexEditor you can see your work in details ...

Sorry ... of topic ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 12:59 PM   #1007
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
ok, i will not change anything.

i'll just write it all down somewhere to use as a reference when i need it.
Tought I did that about a year ago:

[TEC] Shells.dat + Shells.zon Node Numbers in 1.5

Now in download section too.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 04:03 PM   #1008
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Hey skwasjer,
I want to change some of the in-game fonts but S3D crashes whenever I open an off file. I've tried both editing existing .off files and creating a new one, but whatever I try it just don't work
I've tried it on two different PC's, one XP and one Vista, but all I get is the following message (in Dutch but that shouldn't be a problem to you):
Quote:
Kan bestand of assembly Menu, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=17f8ca7d3b368c56 of een van de afhankelijkheden hiervan niet laden. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
I'm using S3D v0.9.4
I hope you can fix this or tell me how to successfully edit those files if it's not s3d related
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 05:49 AM   #1009
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

S3D does not look in the texture directory but the .dat's directory for the texture !!!

I had to create a new separate dir with the gun.dat and the occlu and texture to test the .dat...

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 10:54 AM   #1010
DarkFish
Sea Lord

weird... I always put custom textures in the textures\tnormal\tex folder. And I've never had any problem with textures not showing up.
Were you working in your normal game folder (...\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\....) or a different directory? Cause probably S3D can't find the textures folder if the texture folders are placed in another directory (e.g. ...\AnotherDirectory\Data\textures\...).
Old 04-01-09, 04:48 PM   #1011
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
S3D does not look in the texture directory but the .dat's directory for the texture !!!
There are different types of material. If you tell it to look in the same directory for the material, then it will. There are some system labels that it uses and replaces to get the directory, that's what the cfg_TXR and other such lables mean in the mateiral property. You can also have internal textures, that have the graphics contained within the .dat file and of course external textures. It will only look where you tell it :-).
Old 04-05-09, 02:24 PM   #1012
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
Hey skwasjer,
I want to change some of the in-game fonts but S3D crashes whenever I open an off file. I've tried both editing existing .off files and creating a new one, but whatever I try it just don't work
I've tried it on two different PC's, one XP and one Vista, but all I get is the following message (in Dutch but that shouldn't be a problem to you):

I'm using S3D v0.9.4
I hope you can fix this or tell me how to successfully edit those files if it's not s3d related
Hi DarkFish, it seems like I've mistakenly left out one DLL from the installation program which is required for editting the OFF files. Thank you for the information, I will fix this asap. I can not give you a quick fix right now, because I don't have a copy of the DLL anymore that works with 0.9.4 as changes have incremented over the past months resulting in an incompatibility. Stay tuned for a full fix in the next weeks.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 02:42 PM   #1013
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post

I had to create a new separate dir with the gun.dat and the occlu and texture to test the .dat...

keltos
It does, but the search routines are a bit different from the game because S3D also has to take into account your mod directory. However, the local directory where the .DAT resides takes precedence over the global texture folder. Not only that, S3D takes this into account:

* Search local folder in your mod: <MODS>\<Your mod>\Data\<Folder with Dat-file>
* Search local folder when MOD is installed in game: Data\<Folder with Dat-file from your mod>
* Search global texture folder in your mod: <MODS>\<Your Mod>\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex
* Search global texture folder: Data\Textures\TNormal\tex

Additionally, S3D obviously also looks for internal textures.

As you can see, it's a little bit more complex than it appears

Conflicts can happen when the material is not set up correctly, like Nisgeis indicates, or when textures with the same name are used (and worse, stored in more than one of the locations mentioned above), resulting in incorrect representation in the 3D viewer. There's more odd scenario's possible when mods are intermixed, enabled over eachother, etc. where you expect a texture to show up, but S3D can't find it because it's outside its search path, or if S3D finds another (old one) first.

A good example of unexpected texture loaded is the prop_black.tga which comes with each airplane. The game has that file in the global texture folder but also each plane has it as internal texture. Replacing the internal texture will not yield expected result as the global texture is still used (it takes precendence over internal textures, although it makes more sense if it didn't). Only after removing the global texture will you see the new internal one.

I tried to best match the game load behavior but since mods during design time generally reside in their own \MODS location, I had to deviate from the game it's method of loading and resolving textures. That and the fact that it's not documented by Ubisoft how textures are resolved, all I could do was guess/test and try to come as close as possible.
Old 04-06-09, 01:29 PM   #1014
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
Hi DarkFish, it seems like I've mistakenly left out one DLL from the installation program which is required for editting the OFF files. Thank you for the information, I will fix this asap. I can not give you a quick fix right now, because I don't have a copy of the DLL anymore that works with 0.9.4 as changes have incremented over the past months resulting in an incompatibility. Stay tuned for a full fix in the next weeks.
okay, thnx. I already figured it was something like that (what else can a missing assembly be?) but I had absolutely no idea what file was missing from where.
.off eding isn't exactly the most used function of S3D so I guess it's not hard to forget adding the .dll
BTW thanks for creating S3D, I've used it ever since v0.7 and it just keeps getting better and better! can't wait for v1 to be released!
Old 04-07-09, 07:43 AM   #1015
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Please could someone give me some tips on how to get a texture be applied on a 3D object.

ouside S3D I have an object with texture

On S3D when I import the object plus add its texture on the node it shows the object with the texture. But when I launch SH4 the object is black.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

S3D doesn't complain on object import and it shows the object with correct texture... so why SH4 doesn't show the correct texture?

Help!!!

Thanks

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 08:39 AM   #1016
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro View Post
Please could someone give me some tips on how to get a texture be applied on a 3D object.

ouside S3D I have an object with texture

On S3D when I import the object plus add its texture on the node it shows the object with the texture. But when I launch SH4 the object is black.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

S3D doesn't complain on object import and it shows the object with correct texture... so why SH4 doesn't show the correct texture?

Help!!!

Thanks
There are a number of things that could cause this. 1st, are you sure the uv2-map is textured right? just enable ambient occlusion map in S3D model preview to check this. maybe it's just the O01 texture that's causing the blackness.
2nd: SH4 doesn't seem to like it if the index of the texture is higher than the object's index. Look if the texture is placed above the object in the S3D tree (as it should) or below.
I've had this problem a number of times and usually it's one of these 2 problems that causes black textures.
Old 04-07-09, 01:54 PM   #1017
skwasjer
The Old Man

Correct
Old 04-07-09, 06:25 PM   #1018
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

here are the pictures

Now the above 3D object appears black on SH4... what I'm missing here? Thanks

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 08:53 PM   #1019
skwasjer
The Old Man

Your material has the same texture linked for the lightmap (ambient occlusion map) which is wrong. The lightmap is always a different texture, which contains lighting/shading info. Secondly, do you even have the texture coordinates for the lightmap (uv2) on the model? If not, then you should remove the 'yellow bulb' chunk, so the game can render the model with only a diffuse pass. If you do, then the 'yellow bulb' chunk should point to a proper ambient occlusion texture, for the ambient occlusion pass to work. If not, well, black...

Note: S3D behaves a little differently in some scenario's.
Old 04-09-09, 07:45 AM   #1020
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Import problem

I have build a simple box in 3ds Max 9 and assigned to it a Multi/Sub material with 3 map ID's (red.tga, blue.tga, green.tga). The box is devided in 3 parts and the faces in each part has a material ID (assigned from top -> 1, 2, 3) and a uvw mapping in map channel 1, so in Max it looks correct.

I export the model to the obj format and open it in a different app which can read obj files and it also looks ok.

Now I import the obj model into a DAT file. The DAT contains the 3 textures (red.tga, blue.tga, green.tga) as separate materials and these materials are assigned to the box node but the preview is not correct and also not ingame (SHIII).

If I export this model again and import it into 3ds Max 9, the material ID's are re-assigned as in S3D and the uvw mapping is corrupted.

Requires each material its own mapping channel or does S3D not support the import of Multi/Sub material in one mapping channel in a correct manner?

Here is the MTL file of the box exported by 3ds Max 9
Code:
# Max2Mtl Version 4.0 Mar 10th, 2001
#
# Multi/Sub 01_-_Default (3) to come 
#
newmtl Material__25
Ka  0.5879999995 0.5879999995 0.5879999995
Kd  0.5879999995 0.5879999995 0.5879999995
Ks  0.8999999762 0.8999999762 0.8999999762
d  1
Ns  0