SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-14, 11:29 PM   #106
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Well, I don't see. Two problems; (1) if he gave a concise explanation of how it works and what sections in which files have what effect, then it would no longer be a MYSTERY. If it wasn't so mysterious we might be able to tweak it so it's actually useful, then where would we be?

(2) you have to have a fire for it to work even if it was tweaked enough to be useful, if you have a badly damaged BB or CV steaming off over the horizon with no fire you're out of luck.

Think I'll have better luck adjusting the "crash depth" in assorted BB, CV, and CA zon files, fire or no fire all that's needed is enough flooding to make it sink a little deeper and it will start taking "crash damage" losing 1 hitpoint every couple seconds. For some screwy reason they added that to all the surface ships and set it at 300. A surface ship at a 990 foot depth taking 0.5 hitpoints of damage per second that it remained below that depth would be somewhat pointless, I think it's already sunk. Someplace around 4 to 8 meters actually does something useful, a cruiser with waves lapping over the deck is 4-5 meters deeper than usual so starts taking hit points, sinks about 20-30 minutes later.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 05:48 AM   #107
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
Hi gentlemen,

for the same reason, i did 2 tests with the SH3 version of this mod, experimenting with the gunnery exercise of the naval academy. Approx. 10 to 15 shots on the nearest small coastal merchant till it began to burn on 3 places, and then - i started to wait. During this first test, i set TC to 32 and reset it from time to time, to check if it was still burning (because smoke wasn´t generated at that TC). Well, at 1 o´clock, more than 8 hours later, it exploded and went down!

The second try i did without time compression at all. The exercise always starts at 16.50. I fired on that merchant till it began to burn again (this was at 16.55) and yes, at 17.07: neutral unit destroyed!

So this mod seems to work really fine for SH3 but the sinking time may be dependant on the time compression!
Hi Leitender,

I guess that makes sense. At higher TC some particle generators stop working (e.g., the fire and funnel smoke). Thus, no depth charges are created anymore and no damage happens.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 05:48 PM   #108
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Hi LGN1,

nice to see you around here! And thanks to your "confirmation". I stumbled upon it when I was reading TDW´s statement:

Quote:
I hook onto two specific effects defined in particles.dat (for sea units). If those two effects are not defined in the unit's .zon file then this mod will not be 'active'.

The two effects from your (SH4) particles.dat are (for sea units):
- #Fire_small
- #Fire_big
Normally, smoke isn´t to be generated at a TC of 32 and above (at least in SH3, controllable by SH3 Commander). That´s why I had to slow down the TC because I couldn´t see if the fire was still burning. For me it seems to explain why some players couldn´t see significant results when testing that mod.

So it may be useful to test the mod at first without any time compression at all - with all that original values TDW´s has chosen and after that, we may talk about the balancing of the "burn down rate" and, e.g., the repair rate.

Regards,

Leitender
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 06:08 AM   #109
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488
Default damage

guys i tried that to silent hunter 3 and indeed fires slowly makes damage by exploding random parts of the ship BUT its not working at silent hunter 4...why? because i run a test mission about a freighter i light a fire on her and just sad about 1 hour just to see the flames burning......thats it.....any ideas?
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:57 AM   #110
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Are you using high TC?

I believe TC will negate the fire effects.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 03:18 AM   #111
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Default A

no nothing at all just the stock game....
Old 10-16-14, 07:03 PM   #112
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

It works for me. Been using it for a while. A damaged ship on fire will have secondary explosions after a bit. A fire started in one cargo hold will eventually spread to the others.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 01:10 AM   #113
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthos View Post
no nothing at all just the stock game....
High TC is not a mod; TC is time compression.

My understanding of the mod is that the effect depends on visual rendering of fire, and this will cut out at a certain point when time compressing.

Old 10-18-14, 05:43 AM   #114
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

no i never use time compresion
Old 06-12-15, 04:39 PM   #115
utops
Planesman

Downloads: 202
Default Dumb filefront. :P

Hi,

Filefront has location blockade so i can't download this mod. Mod file was also deleted from mediafire. Can someone upload this to subsim ?
utops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-15, 04:00 AM   #116
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Gamefront restrictions will need a proxy server to hide your isp so you can download from the site.
Here is a list of some of them, note it will take longer to access the site as you are being redirected through different isp's.
http://www.freeproxyweblist.com/
The top one works so just use the link in the OP and type or paste it in and click go.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 02:21 PM   #117
niwo
A-ganger

Downloads: 158

Quote:
I made this for SH5 but ported it over to SH4 and SH3.
Where is that File/Post/thread of the original SH5 file? I cant find it with the board search nor with google.

May it be the FX Update for SH5 0.0.22 ?
Old 07-24-15, 01:05 AM   #118
Raptor_Pilot
WORST. KALEUN. EVER.

Downloads: 68

This is a good mod, and it works for me, but I have noticed an issue.

If a ship is destroyed due to fire damage, you do not receive credit for sinking it. I first noticed this right after installing the mod, when I engaged a merchant with the deck gun. It caught on fire, then had a massive secondary explosion that ripped it in two. No notification appeared in the log, and I did not receive credit for sinking it.
I repeated the test three more times, engaging targets with the deck gun until they caught fire, then just following them around until they finally sank. In all cases I did not receive credit for the kills.

Just FYI, because the target is burning, don't stop shooting.
Shoot it 'til it sinks!
Raptor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 12:31 AM   #119
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_Pilot View Post
This is a good mod, and it works for me, but I have noticed an issue.
That's a pretty big issue. People usually want the credit.

Old 07-25-15, 02:08 PM   #120
Raptor_Pilot
WORST. KALEUN. EVER.

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
That's a pretty big issue. People usually want the credit.

Like I said, just keep shooting it 'til it sinks. If it sinks from flooding, you still get credit, the only time you don't is if the fire damage is what takes the last of the hitpoints, or health, or whatever the game has.
Torpedoes almost always give you credit, unless it touches off a big fire that sinks the ship before it floods.

Either way, I'm really glad I can light an aircraft on fire and know he's going to die eventually, and fire doing damage has made the deck gun slightly more effective against ships.

I was simply raising the awareness of the issue, but it's certainly one you can work around or live with, it only happens very rarely.
Raptor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote