SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-19, 01:25 PM   #1
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 onkel neal's sig's wisdom meets reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal's sig
Good hunting and don't forget to close the hatch!
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/india-did-major-damage-new-3-billion-submarine-leaving-hatch-open-52292
Quote:

The modern submarine is not a simple machine. A loss of propulsion, unexpected flooding, or trouble with reactors or weapons can doom a sub crew to a watery grave. Also, it’s a good idea to, like, close the hatches before you dive. The incident is also quite an embarrassment — and strategic concern — for the Indian Armed Forces. A Russian Akula-class attack sub modified to accommodate a variety of ballistic missiles, the Arihant represented a major advance in India's nuclear triad after its completion in October 2016. (India in 1974 became the 6th country to conduct a successful nuclear test.)
Indeed, the Arihant's ability to deliver K-15 short-range and K-4 intermediate-range nuclear missiles was envisioned as a powerful deterrent against India's uneasy nuclear state neighbor, Pakistan.
"Arihant is the most important platform within India's nuclear triad covering land-air-sea modes," the Hindu
reports. Well, it's important if it works— and it probably helps to make your submarine watertight.
This is just some sloppy, dangerous seamanship, and the Indian Navy better get its act together fast. Either that, or perhaps follow the Royal Navy's lead and
install the 2001-era Windows XP as an operating system on all your most vital vessels. That way, you can blame the blue screen of death instead of "human error" for the next critical foul-up. Although even outdated software probably knows enough to dog down on all the hatches.
the big WOOPS meets K.I.S.S.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-19, 07:54 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

It seems like Rudyard Kipling could make some wonderful comment on this.

Quote:
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
When you leave the bleedin' hatch up, Gunga Din!
Old 04-28-19, 08:17 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
It seems like Rudyard Kipling could make some wonderful comment on this.
Indeed!...as in: "you're not a better man than I, Gunga Din!"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-28-19, 09:00 PM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Except for Jim's hero:

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-19, 04:59 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

OOPS!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-19, 10:14 AM   #6
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Yes, this did happen: https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...ear-submarine/

Quote:
An Indian Navy ballistic missile submarine whose job is to carry nuclear weapons was forced out of service for 10 months after someone reportedly failed to properly close a hatch on the submarine, which led to extensive water damage.

It was reported that the nuclear-powered INS Arihant became flooded with saltwater and suffered extensive damage.
But it also happen back in the late 1950's when the USN gave turkey an old WWII fram II submarine and they took it out for sea trials, but forgot to close the after engine room hatch. They surfaced and it is reported that they hung the sailor that forgot to close the hatch.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-19, 12:33 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 Sea trials and error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Yes, this did happen: They surfaced and it is reported that they hung the sailor that forgot to close the hatch.
well, considering the nature of the beast...at least one sailor was..."well hung" and I ain't jus talkin' turkey!!