SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-19, 03:50 PM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default This game just needs time

I see a lot of negative posts about this game, and I think that a part of the reason for that is that many people were expecting Silent Hunter 6. I think that this small Dev team has done an outstanding job in creating the game that they wanted to create. It focuses on managing the crew, which in my view is to the detriment of the atmosphere and drama associated with WWII sub games. That said, the game is in its early stages of development, highly moddable, and crew management can be minimized. The irony for me is that I believe that the changes that the modders will be trying to make, will in fact push the game to be more of what Silent Hunter 6 would have been. If they can create more realism and atmosphere on the action front, while keeping the crew management element that was missing in the SH series, we might end up with a great game. I think we need to give this game time. I vividly remember that it took four significant patches and some awesome mods to get Silent Hunter 3 where it needed to be.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 03:56 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Agreed TDK! This is NOT a subsim, its a different approach to an old genre, and it is much needed. Its a game i like to relax to, not take serious.

Serious to me is SH!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 04:07 PM   #3
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I see a lot of negative posts about this game, and I think that a part of the reason for that is that many people were expecting Silent Hunter 6. I think that this small Dev team has done an outstanding job in creating the game that they wanted to create. It focuses on managing the crew, which in my view is to the detriment of the atmosphere and drama associated with WWII sub games. That said, the game is highly moddable, and crew management can be minimized. The irony for me is that I believe that the changes that the modders will be trying to make, will in fact push the game to be more of what Silent Hunter 6 would have been. If they can create more realism and atmosphere on the action front, while keeping the crew management element that was missing in the SH series, we might end up with a great game. I think we need to give this game time. I vividly remember that it took four significant patches and some awesome mods to get Silent Hunter 3 where it needed to be.
Agreed, and they (the developers) seem more than willing to support their sim....how often does that happen? Oh! and lets remember theirs a set of modding tools coming soon as well...

no telling what this sim could become, but I'd bet money it'll be good.
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 04:11 PM   #4
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
I vividly remember that it took four significant patches and some awesome mods to get Silent Hunter 3 where it needed to be.
Oh yes, SH3 before mods was... well, an interesting experience. I think many have forgotten this, or have deliberately chosen to forget for the purposes of trashing every other submarine game which has come after. I also remember SH4 getting trashed when it first released, yet now those same folks will likely be singing a completely different tune!

People are fickle, and are too quick to write games off these days, which is partly why we don't get too many in this genre. No sane mainstream company is going to take the risk, not after the SH5 meltdown. It's now in the hands of indies, and we have to hope they can make a go of it, or else it's back to playing increasingly older titles and hoping they continue to work on modern systems.
Old 05-06-19, 07:50 PM   #5
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

I think Im getting burn out from the Uboat steam forums if I see oen more post about there not being swastikas Ill eat my keyboard,
Yeah some things have legal issues, like American Warbirds so we cant have PBYs and B-24s - you know majorly historically relevant U-boat hunters, but how many people post to complain about that? Zero!

But the swastika?, oh about 10 posts a week. Jesus, talk about selective.
Sorry went abit OT there.....
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 07:55 PM   #6
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

I don't know how much longer I can hold out though. I keep having to start games over due to groundbreaking (for me) bugs. My engineer is down with TB, yet no matter what I attempt to do, ie, dive or ballast pumps, it says he's at the valves or the pumps and I cannot turn them on or off. My last save, I couldn't dive because he was at the valves, yet he's in his bunk with TB.
I haven't gotten the chance to get another officer because I keep starting over.
Thought i could weather the storm, but...
Old 05-06-19, 08:32 PM   #7
qiaoyech
Watch

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

I'm just waiting for the modding tools to land so I can finally play!
qiaoyech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 12:42 AM   #8
SilentThunder
Swabbie

Downloads: 71

Also keep in mind the game is EA, which means it's essentially still in Alpha.

SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 09:53 AM   #9
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
I don't know how much longer I can hold out though. I keep having to start games over due to groundbreaking (for me) bugs. My engineer is down with TB, yet no matter what I attempt to do, ie, dive or ballast pumps, it says he's at the valves or the pumps and I cannot turn them on or off. My last save, I couldn't dive because he was at the valves, yet he's in his bunk with TB.
I haven't gotten the chance to get another officer because I keep starting over.
Thought i could weather the storm, but...
Do it like I did. Played the crap out of it before EA release, now I am waiting until the worst has been ironed out before I play again. Why? Because this way I will notice true progress without getting annoyed and burned out.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 07:18 AM   #10
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Would be nice if one day the game had a plotting station and options to turn off automagical target course plotting. I also know I can ignore the option of having crew work out the targeting solutions, but would still like to have that as a checkbox realism setting that I can enable or disable for the career.

I bought it to support the devs... As it is now, I don't really like it. Not gonna request a refund though. So hoping it continues to grow into something wonderful eventually. Then again... maybe it's an opportunity for me to dust off some old code and build a little something that I can play with on the side?
Old 05-08-19, 07:30 AM   #11
falcon1823
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemonkie View Post

no telling what this sim could become, but I'd bet money it'll be good.
For sure, if there was an investment mechanism for EA games where one could get a return on investment if the game ends up being awesome in the long run, this is one I'd invest in.
falcon1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 08:11 AM   #12
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
I think Im getting burn out from the Uboat steam forums if I see oen more post about there not being swastikas Ill eat my keyboard,
Yeah some things have legal issues, like American Warbirds so we cant have PBYs and B-24s - you know majorly historically relevant U-boat hunters, but how many people post to complain about that? Zero!

But the swastika?, oh about 10 posts a week. Jesus, talk about selective.
Sorry went abit OT there.....
Totally agree some of them are fixated on swastikas. Then again there is quiet and element on there with horrible views.
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 08:15 AM   #13
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadiver View Post
Totally agree some of them are fixated on swastikas. Then again there is quiet and element on there with horrible views.
Well, people are also fixated with turning the game into SH3 2.0, which was never the intention for this game. It's funny what people will obcess over!
Old 05-09-19, 12:40 PM   #14
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

A lot of Nazi's in here! Everyone wants swastikas! Who wants to hold a book burning party?

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 01:29 PM   #15
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
A lot of Nazi's in here! Everyone wants swastikas! Who wants to hold a book burning party?
Depends on the book, I can think of a few I'd like to get rid of for the betterment of humanity. Those teen vampire novels will be the first to go!