SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-08, 06:34 PM   #1
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11
Default Need programming help

An unfinished portion of SH3 is the function of the medic. As Most of you know, he has no function and just sits around with his thumb up--you know where.
Also on long patrols, there are no illnesses, no accidents, no disabled or injured seamen. Most unrealistic.
Well, there is a fairly easy way to develop scenarios that make the medic indispensable, and randomly introduce an unlimited number or unexpected accidents, illnesses, deaths, and disabilities both treatable by the medic and permanent until the end of the patrol. It also allows the use of battlefield promotions and the awarding of injury medals neither of which is now possible. It also makes it possible for any SHIII Kaleun to develop and share his own scenarios.
I have no programming skills and cannot implement these improvements in the game, but I think the program necessary is relatively simple and requires only changing two files. If anyone can help, please contact me so we can work together to improve this wonderful game.
Old 08-14-08, 08:09 PM   #2
wdq4587
A-ganger

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Unless you can get the game source code, I guess there are no way to add these to the existing game. And I guess most player will not have interesting on that. They need forcus on other more important things.
wdq4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 09:58 PM   #3
Friction150
Gunner

Downloads: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdq4587
Unless you can get the game source code, I guess there are no way to add these to the existing game. And I guess most player will not have interesting on that. They need forcus on other more important things.
Quite the opposite mate. Most (not all) people here are all for realism. I too, have wondered why there were medics in the game when they have no use. I always thought that maybe people would get hurt in strafing runs, but the screen just gets blurry. Then you get hit with a bomb and they all die instantly... there's no medium there. But I do agree that it would involve a heap of work with coding and scripting to work.
Old 08-15-08, 04:18 AM   #4
wdq4587
A-ganger

Downloads: 10

Simply said about realism, there are many aspect you may want add. I think my idea to let the crew have more beard when they patrol long time is cool. But that can not be first list.

And about the medic, I agree you that's the unfinished part of the game. But in fact you can not hope medic can do much in such a little boat in such a big ocean. (I know many people have more confidence on medic in real life than me). And I disagree you with accident not by enemy and illnesses, caption can do nothing with that. Add such things will let the player fell discouragement. (Or you hope the caption decide return to base because one crew illnesses very bad?)

But this discussion is meaning less. As a programmer I can simply tell you is it seems no way to do that unless the developer open they source (may be 10 years later). Just like my beard idea. I don't know does SH3 has script or not (I mean executeable script), but the medic mostly like program in hard code layer.
wdq4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 04:54 AM   #5
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

somewhere (i do not know where) i read, that the fatigue of those crew members, which are in the same room with the medic, reduces faster than crew members, which are not in the same room. but i have not tested that.......
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 06:54 AM   #6
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
But this discussion is meaning less. As a programmer I can simply tell you is it seems no way to do that unless the developer open they source (may be 10 years later). Just like my beard idea. I don't know does SH3 has script or not (I mean executeable script), but the medic mostly like program in hard code layer.
Shut up if you don't know what you're talking about. I have discussed this with irish1958 and the concept seems completely doable if you have an application to modify the crew_config files. My recommendation was to leave it because of complexity and my previous experience with savegame modding, but not because it requires the source code.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 07:32 AM   #7
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Default Disability Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Quote:
Shut up if you don't know what you're talking about. I have discussed this with irish1958 and the concept seems completely doable if you have an application to modify the crew_config files. My recommendation was to leave it because of complexity and my previous experience with savegame modding, but not because it requires the source code.
I agree. SH3CMDR writes to these files, and they appear in the game. Also, when I write to these files manually, the changes appear in the game and act as I have said. The en_menu file (or fr_menu or de_menu) must also be changed. Again, when I write to this file manually, the changes appear in the game. Unfortunately, SH3CMDR has ceased development and is no longer offered or supported. Perhaps if someone knows the workings of CMDR, it can be added as a mod to this. The ideal way for the mod to function would be to be as an add-on to SH3CMDR so it would load when the game does. Alternately, it could be activated by adding it to the Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\ folder in the same way that SH3Weather is added.

With no programming skills or knowledge, I cannot go forward with this concept.

This is the SilentHunterIII Mod workshop. The purpose of this forum is to develop mods for SHIII, which is why I have broached this idea. iF it can't be done, so be it.
Old 08-15-08, 08:04 AM   #8
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

I am afraid that's the problem, it can be done but it requires programming skills. With no one in sight that is going to do that atm you could lay out your idea in the forum and see whether someone takes it up.

I have thought about whether it could be incorporated into Sh3Gen - and it could - but would be fiendishly complex to use and, since I have finished with this mod, I really don't think I will ever consider major updates like this.

It's still a great idea, but not so much if it stands on it's own. Have you ever thought about combining it with technical faults on the submarine?

Old 08-15-08, 09:49 AM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
somewhere (i do not know where) i read, that the fatigue of those crew members, which are in the same room with the medic, reduces faster than crew members, which are not in the same room. but i have not tested that.......
In GWX (2.1) manual, top of page 81. He's not useless. But that depends on the fatigue model you are playing with, and the amount of crew you have.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 10:50 AM   #10
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

GlobalExplorer wrote

It's still a great idea, but not so much if it stands on it's own. Have you ever thought about combining it with technical faults on the submarine?[/quote]

Yes, but the problem is that the disability would show up in the game without any explanation as to what is has happened. For this you need to read the en_menu file and write the explanation in the information box in the game.
Old 08-15-08, 10:55 AM   #11
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
In GWX (2.1) manual, top of page 81. He's not useless. But that depends on the fatigue model you are playing with, and the amount of crew you have.
That is true. In my tests I have found that the fatigue will resolve about twice as fast with the medic present. The same is true for the morale problem in the NYGM Mod. However, in game play with various fatigue models, I have found this to be not significant (for my style of play).
Old 08-15-08, 11:02 AM   #12
bracer
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

I know some basic programming, I'll try and see if it's something I could manage.
I'll PM you if I get any succes.
Sounds like a great idea!
/Bracer
bracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 11:46 AM   #13
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958
Yes, but the problem is that the disability would show up in the game without any explanation as to what is has happened. For this you need to read the en_menu file and write the explanation in the information box in the game.
It could also be made to appear in the war diary (.clg file in savegame).

Old 08-15-08, 02:29 PM   #14
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958
It could also be made to appear in the war diary (.clg file in savegame).
Thanks, I'll check into it and see if it works.

Bracer wrote: " I know some basic programming, I'll try and see if it's something I could manage.
I'll PM you if I get any succes.
Sounds like a great idea!
/Bracer"
Thanks
Old 08-15-08, 02:50 PM   #15
Friction150
Gunner

Downloads: 98

Quote:
Quote:
WDQ4587- Regardless if you are a programmer, it doesn't mean you know every program that's out there. I've written programs before, but I will fully admit that I don't know very much about SH3 programming. This conversation is not meaningless. I've seen many "meaningless" conversations and "dumb" ideas turn into gold on here.

I agree with GlobalExplorer. It could be done, the question is: Is it worth the time invested into it to do it. You would have to test alot of unseen aspects of the game, and you would have bugs to fix. It could possibly be done with crew config files, just like fatigue is. Just my 2 cents. I hate hearing that things can't be done without someone at least trying.