SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-10, 04:36 PM   #31
Fr8monkey
Captain

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

I do believe that there is a lot going for SHV. If UBI would have polished it up a bit, listened to fans input and got rid of the damn DRM, it would have been better. Now, like most games, the company pushes out an un-finished game and now we fall back on the all powerful and loving mods to fix it. And so far they are doing an excellent job.

AT&T's budget in 2011... $20 billion.
Result: Still can't get any signal from my bathroom.
Fr8monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 04:40 PM   #32
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
You know what would be funny and pretty cool too ? SH6 being an online game where everyone is part of the crew, this having 30-40 people connected at once, doing various tasks around the sub... my guess is we wouldn't even leave the port before sinking because the Helmsman went afk but oh it would be so funny
You know what? That actually has the potential to be quite awesome, hopping on a server and taking the reins of a u-boat position, either driving the sub or manning the TDC, hydrophone, or some other skill-demanding station. Having the AI call out to you "depth charges in the water!" is one thing, but to sit there with actual people around you in the sub, using VOIP and text chat to communicate to you that the torpedoes are ready to fire, that there is a destroyer making an attack run, or that there are merchants off the starboard bow... that'd be something else. Especially if they implement getting wounded or killed.

Even though I fear that it'd often be a bunch of headless chickens running about, Battlefield series-style, than an organized, well-functioning crew.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 04:42 PM   #33
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

I can just see it. People "bunny hopping" up and down the boat during silent running.

Do nothing which is of no use.
BlackSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 04:50 PM   #34
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Or standing in front of the deck gun, so they can 'punish' you for a team kill.
Old 03-26-10, 04:51 PM   #35
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSpot View Post
I can just see it. People "bunny hopping" up and down the boat during silent running.
Not to mention stabbing/shooting one another for certain positions in the boat.
Old 03-26-10, 04:52 PM   #36
ERPP8
Commodore

Downloads: 161

I would love a modern nuclear sub simulator.
BUT NOBODY ELSE DOES!!!!!
ERPP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 05:02 PM   #37
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
You know, we have Silent Hunter III with the truly excellent Grey Wolves Expansion mod. We have Silent Hunter IV and the excellent mods to both the fleet boat game and the U Boat game. Now we have Silent Hunter 5, which by the end of the year will be a heavily modded and very playable game.

I personally wouldn't mind at all if we didn't see another WWII sub sim for 3 or 4 years. At that point, either Ubisoft could release another one, hopefully having learned something from the SH5 fiasco, or there may even be a new interested Publisher by then.

I think the last thing we need is 'Silent Hunter 6 Fiasco in the Pacific' about 12 months down the line.
No, whats needed is not another WW II subsim.
Whats needed are core improvements to the gaming experience of WW II subsims. And this is NOT ABOUT GRAPHICS. How about freaking improving multiplayer ? Giving the ability to several players to man a sub ? Or how about having a new destroyer command ? Human controlled destroyers protecting AI convoys against human controlled wolfpacks.
Ubisoft has clearly demonstrated that they could care less about improving the product than milking it to its death. Thats what they've done with SH 4 and SH 5. The giant quantum leap between SH 2 and SH 3 has not been replicated either with SH 4 or Sh 5. And even so, SH 2+ Destroyer Command is a step up in terms of multiplayer experience over Sh3/4 and 5. There is only so much you can do against a stupid AI. Even a clever AI at the end is predictible, something a human player is not.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:08 PM   #38
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERPP8 View Post
Well I just don't think patrolling around for months on end with no enemy and no war sounds very fun.

COLD War means no shooting.. you would need fiction as a starting point to make it interesting, and that bodes ill for a "simulation".. just look at SHV 1.0

That is ignoring the fact that alot of what is in a modern nuclear sub is still classified, so the simulation itself would be less then true to life.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:13 PM   #39
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
Well I just don't think patrolling around for months on end with no enemy and no war sounds very fun.

COLD War means no shooting.. you would need fiction as a starting point to make it interesting, and that bodes ill for a "simulation".. just look at SHV 1.0
Well, it would have to be a 'what if' scenario, as with many flight sims. It could work, but I'm not sure how popular it would be, especially when compared to that of U-boats.

Quote:
That is ignoring the fact that alot of what is in a modern nuclear sub is still classified, so the simulation itself would be less then true to life.
Exactly. We have a rough idea, but the details are somewhat sketchy.
Old 03-26-10, 06:34 PM   #40
ERPP8
Commodore

Downloads: 161

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Well, it would have to be a 'what if' scenario, as with many flight sims. It could work, but I'm not sure how popular it would be, especially when compared to that of U-boats.

Exactly. We have a rough idea, but the details are somewhat sketchy.
It's just the limit of technology is so much I wish more new concepts like homing torpedoes, harpoons and missiles.
ERPP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 06:42 PM   #41
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Oh, I don't know about that I lost countless hours of my teenage years in Microprose's Red Storm Rising, it seemed pretty engaging to me.

It was the kind of game that you would sit down with, thinking five minutes had passed when it was actually six hours, the true mark of playability and engagement in any game.

I think what we really need now is a new surface game in the mold of Destroyer command or the classic and much loved Microprose title "Task Force 1942"
Old 03-26-10, 07:10 PM   #42
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8

Hmmm, well isn't "Dangerous Waters" a modern sub warfare game? Even if a might dated by comparison.
http://us.boonty.com/download/dangerous-waters.html
Old 03-26-10, 08:10 PM   #43
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

We all know what the perfect subsim should be and Ubi will never do it. I would love to see SH6 PTO, but not as a new game, but a future mod. Hopefully DRM will be dropped in about 6 months when the game no longer sells...

My guess is the next addon will be to finish the war with Uboats, then maybe a game in the future. Hopefully it will work by then and I will buy it.

I would love to think the modders can do a fleetboats with SH5..correctly
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 08:36 PM   #44
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
I think what we really need now is a new surface game in the mold of Destroyer command or the classic and much loved Microprose title "Task Force 1942"
If done right, I am surely in for that. But it needs a good campaign mode, and not only a single AO with little going on...
Old 03-26-10, 08:54 PM   #45
CWorth
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERPP8 View Post
Your not the only one.

I would love to see a real good modern submarine simulator come out.

To be honest as fun as SH3 and SH4 are I am getting tired of WW2 based sims.After awhile it just gets to become more of the same ole same ole we had before just fancier graphics.
CWorth is offline   Reply With Quote