SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-19, 10:16 AM   #466
chipsranger
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 759
Uploads: 0
Icon9 incomplete

My incomplete missing buttons in the left menu do not have numbers of torpedoes in the selector

chipsranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 12:23 AM   #467
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Default A few personal changes to this wonderful mod

Recently got a bigger 32" monitor to replace my 7 year old 27" monitor....
...and it was so sharp (non-4k) that all the 1024x mods were no longer playable.

So here I am now permanently in the wide-screen environment.

My personal tastes were always to use some Hitman type of optics as they represented the proper 1.5x and 6x zoom settings on periscopes so very well. I also use that method of effort. Read the mils on the scope. No AOB wheel or anything.

Ahnenerbe wide screen mod is (like Manos efforts) pure artwork and amazing for all that.

However I was never able to get the zoom/perspective settings right.

Example: something that is 25 meters tall, showing 50mils, with the 6x power setting should be about 2000 meters away. I was unsuccessful making this work with the stock Ahnenerbe mod. Again, I don't use an AOB wheel I just read the mils.

So I made a few minor changes to suit my tastes with changes to the camera dat file and replacing the 900x900 pixel mask used for the periscope reticules.

I went to Manos wide screen mod which would not boot up in my NYGM mod (odd as this always works in GWX).
...and borrowed an optional scope mask from the Manos mod as a quick kludge fix as seen below. I also had to resize it to make it fit inside Ahnerebe's 900x900 pixel setup (for both scopes).

This got me back on patrol and am enjoying Ahnenerbe's mod greatly in NYGM.

When I have time I will have to do it the proper way and make up some reticules for a 900x900 pixel mask that are more accurate and appealing than my crude fix.

Other changes I made.
1. No zoom choices in binoculars and UZO.
2. UZO to 10x and FOV different to where you can only see the crosshairs (similar to Hitman GUI)
3. Binoculars to 7.5x

Future changes:
1. Remove the AOB wheels as I don't use them.

Again, these are ONLY my personal tastes to what is in stock form, a stellar mod.

It would be impossible to thank people like Manos, Hitman and Ahnenerbe enough.

Their efforts have given me hours of enjoyment.

Side note on Ahnenerbe's wide screen mod, even at 100 percent realism, if you or a friend just want to do a beer and pretzel game, you can still ask the attack officer for all the fire control solutions. Which makes it nice for anyone that wants to do that.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 04-07-19 at 12:50 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 01:37 AM   #468
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Recently got a bigger 32" monitor to replace my 7 year old 27" monitor....
...and it was so sharp (non-4k) that all the 1024x mods were no longer playable.

So here I am now permanently in the wide-screen environment.

My personal tastes were always to use some Hitman type of optics as they represented the proper 1.5x and 6x zoom settings on periscopes so very well. I also use that method of effort. Read the mils on the scope. No AOB wheel or anything.

Ahnenerbe wide screen mod is (like Manos efforts) pure artwork and amazing for all that.

However I was never able to get the zoom/perspective settings right.

Example: something that is 25 meters tall, showing 50mils, with the 6x power setting should be about 2000 meters away. I was unsuccessful making this work with the stock Ahnenerbe mod. Again, I don't use an AOB wheel I just read the mils.

So I made a few minor changes to suit my tastes with changes to the camera dat file and replacing the 900x900 pixel mask used for the periscope reticules.

I went to Manos wide screen mod which would not boot up in my NYGM mod (odd as this always works in GWX).
...and borrowed an optional scope mask from the Manos mod as a quick kludge fix as seen below. I also had to resize it to make it fit inside Ahnerebe's 900x900 pixel setup (for both scopes).

This got me back on patrol and am enjoying Ahnenerbe's mod greatly in NYGM.

When I have time I will have to do it the proper way and make up some reticules for a 900x900 pixel mask that are more accurate and appealing than my crude fix.

Other changes I made.
1. No zoom choices in binoculars and UZO.
2. UZO to 10x and FOV different to where you can only see the crosshairs (similar to Hitman GUI)
3. Binoculars to 7.5x

Future changes:
1. Remove the AOB wheels as I don't use them.

Again, these are ONLY my personal tastes to what is in stock form, a stellar mod.

It would be impossible to thank people like Manos, Hitman and Ahnenerbe enough.

Their efforts have given me hours of enjoyment.

Side note on Ahnenerbe's wide screen mod, even at 100 percent realism, if you or a friend just want to do a beer and pretzel game, you can still ask the attack officer for all the fire control solutions. Which makes it nice for anyone that wants to do that.
very interesting work Leoz! ... I have a question .. sended you to pm if you can help me.
Old 04-08-19, 06:53 AM   #469
Leoz
Ensign

OK... my plan...

Using the program "Inkscape", I will create a 900x900 pixel image and put the grid on that shows pixel position.

I will create the reticule's in that, convert to bitmap (TGA) (rework a bit in GIMP) and test some of them.

I will then post some of them for people to use as they see fit.

My ideas.

Option 1:
Attack scope, older vertical mils in 20mil increments like what you see in the attack scope of Das Boot (movie assumption of U-96) and the actual, official propaganda video of the U-48 (a VIIb).

The Observation scope will be like a C9 (no whizwheels, stadimeters nothing) as seen in that propaganda film (hey one of the older B model VII boats upgraded to '41 'ish optics by late '41) as well as seen in a variety of Kaleun's using their C9 scope (Topp) and others.

Option 2:
Attack and Observation scope much like Hitman GUI (same reticule for both scopes), again nothing but that, no wheels or stadimeters)

Option 3:
Early war boats? Maybe something similar to Option 1 for the attack scope and the Observation scope is like the very old Ujag mod. Which assumed a multi-eye piece early war scope.
Example: Remember SHIII can't really simulate a multi-optic scope well but UJag gave the flavour of it. One eyepiece for stadimeter, One eyepiece for coloured graphic, one eye piece for normal view.

My assumptions (opinions) no attack scope will have AOB wheels as I have not been able to find any photos that showed them that way.

However, I am only going to create the reticules so what anyone does with them is fine if they want to create an AOB wheel to match.

All, 1.5x and 6x zoom.

Again, my personal goals are to make mils match as the example given in the previous post: a 25 meter tall object at 50mils and 6x should be 2000 meters away.

I will also post range charts (Original made by Hitman for Height) here is my redo of an original German chart for guessing by width:

(The ol' C2 medium cargo (about 140m long) looking at it from 90AOB
at 10 marks of width on the scope is about 810 meters away at 1.5x
and 3240 meters away at 6x)

Much of my motivation is Hitman himself and also this website:

http://www.tvre.org/en/aiming-with-the-periscope

Last but not least of course, it is only a game and to have fun.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 04-08-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 10:07 AM   #470
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
OK... my plan...

Using the program "Inkscape", I will create a 900x900 pixel image and put the grid on that shows pixel position.

I will create the reticule's in that, convert to bitmap (TGA) (rework a bit in GIMP) and test some of them.

I will then post some of them for people to use as they see fit.

My ideas.

Option 1:
Attack scope, older vertical mils in 20mil increments like what you see in the attack scope of Das Boot (movie assumption of U-96) and the actual, official propaganda video of the U-48 (a VIIb).

The Observation scope will be like a C9 (no whizwheels, stadimeters nothing) as seen in that propaganda film (hey one of the older B model VII boats upgraded to '41 'ish optics by late '41) as well as seen in a variety of Kaleun's using their C9 scope (Topp) and others.

Option 2:
Attack and Observation scope much like Hitman GUI (same reticule for both scopes), again nothing but that, no wheels or stadimeters)

Option 3:
Early war boats? Maybe something similar to Option 1 for the attack scope and the Observation scope is like the very old Ujag mod. Which assumed a multi-eye piece early war scope.
Example: Remember SHIII can't really simulate a multi-optic scope well but UJag gave the flavour of it. One eyepiece for stadimeter, One eyepiece for coloured graphic, one eye piece for normal view.

My assumptions (opinions) no attack scope will have AOB wheels as I have not been able to find any photos that showed them that way.

However, I am only going to create the reticules so what anyone does with them is fine if they want to create an AOB wheel to match.

All, 1.5x and 6x zoom.

Again, my personal goals are to make mils match as the example given in the previous post: a 25 meter tall object at 50mils and 6x should be 2000 meters away.

I will also post range charts (Original made by Hitman for Height) here is my redo of an original German chart for guessing by width:

(The ol' C2 medium cargo (about 140m long) looking at it from 90AOB
at 10 marks of width on the scope is about 810 meters away at 1.5x
and 3240 meters away at 6x)

Much of my motivation is Hitman himself and also this website:

http://www.tvre.org/en/aiming-with-the-periscope

Last but not least of course, it is only a game and to have fun.
Hi Leoz thanks for pm answer
how did you copy the hitman reticules on your periscope?
This important for me...

EDIT: Solved

Last edited by hauangua; 04-08-19 at 01:23 PM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 04:03 AM   #471
Leoz
Ensign

I have not copied those into Ahnenerbe at all. Those screenshots are from Hitman and the old UJag mod respectively and only used to illustrate what I want to do with my Ahnenerbe setup.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 04-09-19, 04:37 AM   #472
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I have not copied those into Ahnenerbe at all. Those screenshots are from Hitman and the old UJag mod respectively and only used to illustrate what I want to do with my Ahnenerbe setup.
Old 04-13-19, 08:40 PM   #473
Leoz
Ensign

Default Graphics

Here is the first draft for the 3 eyepiece observation scope on old boats.
The overall image composition is inspired by UJag's Old periscope mod from many many years ago.

This graphic is done in Inkscape ( much like Corel Draw or Illustrator-- a vector-based graphics program).

Again, it is only a first draft....

As mentioned.... SHIII doesn't really simulate 3-eyepiece periscopes well.

So, we compromise, like what is shown in the old UJag Mod or the wonderful efforts of OLC / ACM authors.

In the old scope you had a crosshair on one lens for general observation. Another eyepiece was to get a graphic representation of scale and aspect of the target (which is this coloured graphic)... then another eyepiece for the stadimeter (which also is hard to represent in SHIII).

In the game, this colour graphic would appear when you activate the AOB wheel or whatever the gray circular slide rule is called. (The greats: UJag, OLC,AMC and Manos were able to show this well).

THESE are great teaching tools to learn about the ratio of height and width of a ship as it pertains to distance and angle on the bow. The knowledge I gained from all these mods over the years was what made me really good with the Hitman mods later which had none of this; which, represented newer scopes after the war started.

Again, the goal of this current effort:
1. The super high resolution of Ahnenerbe Wide Screen made the lower resolution graphics in the old mods obsolete.
2. From my work, one can convert the vector graphics to high resolution TGA files for use in mods

Modders will have tools available to use as they see fit.

When I am done with all the scope reticules I will zip them up into a package and upload them.

As time permits maybe I can create a few different packages that work in JMGME. But, I am at the lower end skill of that. We are talking training wheels.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 04-13-19, 11:28 PM   #474
ericlea
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 109

Hi,

I follow your work ! When finished, we should place your reticles in ARB widegui too :-)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232178

ericlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 07:15 AM   #475
Leoz
Ensign

Additional to above, when ever I do the final for the above coloured graphic, I will probably mate it to the inside of a graphic in this mod called the AOB inner disk. That way when you click on the AOB disk, the coloured graphic will appear.

Again though, observation scope only.

Which brings up another problem with the Ahnenerbe WideGui.

Need a modified AOB graphic for 6x power.

Example: on that slide rule disk, with 6x, a target 25 meters tall at 50mils does not read out at being 2000 meters away.

A challenge, but workable.

Also, maybe the coloured graphic for OLC/AMC is the way to go... the diagonal line is reversed...starting at the bottom inside. Makes more sense, when you think about it. ... I will make up a fresh one of those...

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 04-18-19, 05:16 AM   #476
Leoz
Ensign

Spent a lot of time reading 11 year old forum threads by Hitman, Makman and others on periscope optics, milirad assumptions, etc. very illuminating. And a big help.

Here is the draft for the older, early style Attack scope as I assume it.

Will work on the observation scope next.

Then a more unified setup where the graphic for the attack and observation scope are the same....

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 04-19-19, 01:02 AM   #477
Leoz
Ensign

Had a bit of a break through.

The AOB wheel was driving me nuts in this mod but was really my fault.

It is after-all, just a relational slide rule.

See the attached image.

One should be able to find the distance to target (assuming a 6x power scope) in this example...

#1 matching a 25 meter target to 10 (where this is really for the purpose of this slide rule exercise the 100 mils mark.

Then go to #2 and read the distance.... where 10 for this purpose = 1000 meters away.

Checked out against various numbers with Hitman's chart supplied with his first periscope mod.

My problem not understanding this Mod and the AOB wheel was because:

In the old UJag Mod and Manos Mod.... one would start out at number #3 and get the result at #4.

Still some work with this as it is like any slide rule, search for the right relationship of numbers to substitute.

So, once we get the mills right for the scopes (for 6x) we should be on easy street.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 04-19-19, 11:05 AM   #478
bluebird1965
Swabbie

Downloads: 164

Hello,
Is there a manual explaining where the tools are and how they are used?
Silent Hunter standard is clear.
bluebird1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 11:37 AM   #479
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird1965 View Post
Hello,
Is there a manual explaining where the tools are and how they are used?
Silent Hunter standard is clear.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...93&postcount=1
Anvar1061 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 11:43 AM   #480
bluebird1965
Swabbie

Downloads: 164

Thank you very much!
Greetings from Karlsruhe / Germany
bluebird1965 is offline   Reply With Quote