SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-19, 11:56 AM   #1
Kane9921
Swabbie

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0
Default Help to install Greywolves on sh3 on steam

downloaded the grey wolves 7 bins from Jimbunas mediafire site, put them in a folder on desktop.

Uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh copy of sh3 on steam version 1.4

double click on the greywolves exe file and set the path for the launcher to be steam/steamapps/common/silent hunter 3 and repeatedly I get a message there are mods in the destination folder. Am a noob trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Running windows 8.1, drivers are updated.........don't have a clue what to do now. You guys have a great site here, I just want to play grey wolves.

Thanks for any help

Don
Kane9921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 09:35 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Where do you have your Steam install? The default would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\"... which you don't want.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 11:31 PM   #3
Kane9921
Swabbie

Hey Prop

it is in program files, where do I need to put it

thanks for a response, new, trying to wade through to the right place here
Old 02-17-19, 09:58 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

How to do it all depends upon your computer set-up. If you have multiple hard drives, you can just add a new Library folder, through the computer's Steam app, on the other hard drive and re-install Silent Hunter there. If you have only the one drive, then it gets more complicated. You have to do it "by hand". The more games you have, the longer it takes. If all you have is Silent Hunter 3, it's not as big of a deal. About the best description of it can be found in the Steam Support section:

Moving a Steam Installation and Games

You can decide what you want to name the folder. I happen to have a "Games" folder on my laptop's "C:\" drive, and inside of that is "SteamApps \ common \ Silent Hunter 3". On my desktop, which has multiple hard drives, the path ends up a bit different, since I was able to use the Steam Library and created a folder in my Games folder there. Read up on that Steam Support link, and run through THEBERBSTER's thead SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <..., which is in the SH4 threads, but the Steam stuff applies almost verbatim for SH3 also. All of his Steam links are marked with an orange <-- STEAM User information designation, and are easy to find. One of the links refers to the old way of doing the move, which used to be easy, in that all you did was pick-up and move the folder of your SH3 install, but now Steam has a bit more security implemented and you need to do the move the Steam way so that their security links are maintained, else the game won't start.

The reason for having to move your Silent Hunter 3 install lies with the Windows UAC (User Access Control) and its "protecting" the user's files from potentially rogue apps. Silent Hunter 3 is from the "old" days of computing, and it's interface, and that of JSGME, are not compliant with the "new" security scheme of Windows, in effect since the Vista version. Part of that "security" involves not allowing changes to "system" folders, which includes the "Program Files" directories. When you activate a mod through JSGME, since it doesn't have a proper Windows interface with which to notify Windows of the changes, the changes to *.cfg files and a few other extensions are taken (by Windows) as un-authorized, and the OS rolls back those file changes to the old versions, resulting in a partially modded game that does not function as intended, and in fact, often doesn't run at all. De-activating the mod through JSGME usually - but not always - results in a restoration of a functional Stock game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 02:32 PM   #5
Kane9921
Swabbie

thanks so much for your help!
Old 05-10-19, 07:27 AM   #6
Tempestine
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 21

Same problem here... have steam + games installed to a folder other than program files and it says mods detected...
Tempestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 03:17 AM   #7
Blackswan1940
Bosun

Downloads: 0

You both got PM.