SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-18-14, 01:08 AM   #1
midnightrider1818
Soundman

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0
Default late war sensors

hey guys. I accidentally installed the late war sensors on my mod list. I read now that I should have waited to do that till they become available in my upgrade list. will this effect anything. im only in jan 1940. I know on my boat I have the round circle looking antenna that rotates but I don't know if that mod added it or if I am suppose to have that lol.
midnightrider1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 08:05 AM   #2
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

The round loop is a radio direction finder and is used for detecting radio transmissions and provide a rough estimate to what direction it came from. Several boats at sea at different locations could triangulate with some accuracy where the radio transmissions came from and home in. That is how they hunted U-boats at times.

Standard issue item on boats. Not a late war sensor.
Old 11-18-14, 11:49 AM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

As far as I know, the late war sensor thing is not graphics but just tweaks to the way sensors work. Just take it out of your mod list for next patrol, and you're good!

And yes, the spinny thing is the standard DF loop.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 12:42 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rconch View Post
The round loop is a radio direction finder and is used for detecting radio transmissions and provide a rough estimate to what direction it came from. Several boats at sea at different locations could triangulate with some accuracy where the radio transmissions came from and home in. That is how they hunted U-boats at times.

Standard issue item on boats. Not a late war sensor.
Otherwise known as DFing or Huff-Duff-a serious killer of overly communicative U-boats An early use was by the RAF Fighter Command as part of the Dowding system of interception control, while ground-based units were also widely used to feed information to the Admiralty to locate U-Boats. By 1942/43 smaller units were widely available and became common fixtures on most Royal Navy ships. It is estimated that huff-duff contributed directly or indirectly to 24% of all U-Boats sunk during the war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_direction_finding In looking up any of several U boats their final cruises (including U-666) are plotted to their destruction sites as they gave position reports on a daily basis...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 03:25 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
As far as I know, the late war sensor thing is not graphics but just tweaks to the way sensors work. Just take it out of your mod list for next patrol, and you're good!...
As that is clearly part of your boat's systems it would end up saved into the gamestate when you save I guess. Maybe even as part of the campaign state between patrols after these sensors have been added/improved. So I understand the precaution that midnightrider1818 has in removing the mod from JSGME and being wary of adding a crash cause. If it was just a graphics thing then it wouldn't be likely to harm. (but a 3d model addition could I suppose.)

I haven't used the mod yet, so I can't provide guidance in using it. Just know that the GWX manual states the reasons for using it.

Last edited by Pisces; 11-18-14 at 03:52 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote