SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-14, 07:07 PM   #1
GentExec
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
New to SH3/GWX3

Hi all,

I'm new to SH3 as I bought it in the Steam sale.

Everything was going ok at first working my way through the tutorials and also experimenting on single missions to break up the learning.

I'm having a problem where after I return to the surface I cannot put the watch office in his big face square and the only way he will go back to the conning tower is as a regular bloke.

This means he doesn't appear in the bottom left and I can't interact with him.

What am I doing wrong?
GentExec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 07:24 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Welcome GentExec Welcome aboard formallyAsk in the Forum 3/4/5 on the particular problem. No question too ridiculous-no problem unsolved! Happy New Year!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 07:28 PM   #3
GentExec
Swabbie

Thanks!

I'm confused, are you suggesting I post somewhere else on the forum?

I don't seem to be able to post anywhere but the subforums os SH 3/4/5.
Old 01-01-14, 07:49 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

This is the SH3 forum and you're in exactly the right place.

That is an interesting problem. Unfortunately I've never encountered it so I'm not sure what the problem is. There are a large number of seasoned experts here so someone who has a clue should be along soon.

As to the other, you can find the main Subsim index page here.
Old 01-01-14, 10:14 PM   #5
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Just a guess but, are you trying to put the full body P.O. watchman in the officer spot? That spot is for an officer who shows as just a face only. The P.O. and sailors move to the tower automatically, you have to drag and drop the officer there, usually from the forward crewrest compartment.
Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 10:28 PM   #6
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61

left click on the conning tower name, then right click your watch officer (big face), he should move automatically. If you need to move a lot of crew from one location to the next, left click on the compartment you want them to go, then right click the compartment name where they are, and they should automatically fill the other compartment. Do the same thing but right click on individual crew members to move them piecemeal.

Welcome aboard!
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:39 AM   #7
GentExec
Swabbie

Cheers guys. I was trying to drag him to the spot. I'll try this method as soon as I'm home from work.

It's probably a case of RTFM but there's a lot to read and naturally I've been a little intoxicated over Christmas.
Old 01-02-14, 02:50 AM   #8
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentExec View Post
It's probably a case of RTFM but there's a lot to read and naturally I've been a little intoxicated over Christmas.
Yeah it definitely helps to RTFM. Some folks spend a good amount of time writing it for you to read. Complaining about something not working and then admitting that you didn't RTFM will make people upset, and then you might have to walk the plank, or worse

Did you get intoxicated on Hamm's?
Old 01-02-14, 07:50 AM   #9
GentExec
Swabbie

Well i've only had it a few days and have not started playing in earnest yet.

You can drag the other officers just fine and in the auto watch officer mod thread it even states the point of it is so you dont have to drag him back to his slot.

i hope the method in the previous reply works however this is an interface "quirk" (bug) and knowing the other method i would probably still have asked the same question although it wouldnt have been so desperate to work out.

Cheers guys.
Old 01-02-14, 08:41 AM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

The "Lazy Watch Officer" is a well-known bug in the sh3.exe code. Because it is a bug, it is not mentioned in the FM. So RTFM, while always a good idea, would not have helped in this case. However, if you search thiis forum, you'll find it mentioned in old posts. Since it is a bug in the executable, it has never been resolved by any normal mod. But h.sie, in his V16B1-Patch-Kit, which directly patches the executable code, does eliminate this annoying immersion-killer. V16B1-Patch-Kit eliminates a lot of long-standing bugs and adds some great new features. It is compatible with any mod list and is worth adding.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 01:28 PM   #11
GentExec
Swabbie

Selecting bridge and then right clicking him adds him to the normal positions and not the officer position which is blank.

I'll give those patches a try. Will they work with the Steam version?

I'm still concerned that few people seem to be having the same problems as me. I'm running it with a modified dx dll so that I can have it in widescreen, I wonder if that is the problem.

I'll do some more research now I have this forum as a reference point.

Edit: I've got that patch and I'm just going to try it. "Lazy watch officer" seems to refer more to the fact that he doesn't automatically return to the bridge rather than he can't return as an officer so I wont hold my breath that this is going to work.
Worth a shot though, thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-02-14, 01:36 PM   #12
GentExec
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Just a guess but, are you trying to put the full body P.O. watchman in the officer spot? That spot is for an officer who shows as just a face only. The P.O. and sailors move to the tower automatically, you have to drag and drop the officer there, usually from the forward crewrest compartment.
Welcome Aboard!
Sorry I missed ur message. I am moving the dude who has the watchman qualification. Is that the wrong man?

Edit: FFS I'm a retard. Yeah that was the problem. Sorry all I wont post again until I have a better understanding of the game. At least now I can crack on with things though and I've learnt a valuable lesson too.

Fire me out of the torpedo tube. I was blaming the game when it was totally my fault.

Last edited by GentExec; 01-02-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 03:36 PM   #13
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentExec View Post
Sorry I missed ur message. I am moving the dude who has the watchman qualification. Is that the wrong man?

Edit: FFS I'm a retard. Yeah that was the problem. Sorry all I wont post again until I have a better understanding of the game. At least now I can crack on with things though and I've learnt a valuable lesson too.

Fire me out of the torpedo tube. I was blaming the game when it was totally my fault.
Don't beat yourself up! The forum is here to assist new skippers in their conquest for tonnage.

When I first started SH3, I had no idea how to even raise the scope! I was like "Torpedoes require a solution?!"

Don't feel bad. There might be some that'll jab ya in the ribs, but because I've had my ribs jabbed so many times, I'll save you the rib jabbing from my end
Old 01-02-14, 04:09 PM   #14
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Hamm's Bear for President!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 04:27 PM   #15
gi_dan2987
Weps