SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-18, 05:31 PM   #1
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Nvidia graphics: Lottsa flickering and blackscreen

Okay, so I have a new PC, complete with a Nvidia graphics card (see below). "Haaa," methinks, "can't wait to load and play SH4 WOTP...yeeeh...argghhh!!"
Danged if I haven't got all sorts of problems with b-baaad flickering and blackouts.

A secondary problem is that the disc needs to be loaded before I can play (didn't happen on my old PC), plus the new game won't recognise saved games that I copied and transferred from my old PC.

Anyway, I have spent some time poring through these forums, hoping to find some solutions - eg: how to configure the Nvidia Control Panel to cater for SH4 - but can't seem to find anything that helps.

Any suggestions?

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 07:23 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSharkbait View Post
Okay, so I have a new PC, complete with a Nvidia graphics card (see below). "Haaa," methinks, "can't wait to load and play SH4 WOTP...yeeeh...argghhh!!"
Danged if I haven't got all sorts of problems with b-baaad flickering and blackouts.

A secondary problem is that the disc needs to be loaded before I can play (didn't happen on my old PC), plus the new game won't recognise saved games that I copied and transferred from my old PC.

Anyway, I have spent some time poring through these forums, hoping to find some solutions - eg: how to configure the Nvidia Control Panel to cater for SH4 - but can't seem to find anything that helps.

Any suggestions?
Well, first thing I would tell you is that transferring old saved games from your old computer to your new one won't work, they won't be compatible anymore.

2nd thing is that your graphics card is getting a little long in the tooth. You might consider upgrading to a newer graphic card.

And last but not least, what version of SH4 are you using?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 08:09 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
... And last but not least, what version of SH4 are you using?
Quote:
A secondary problem is that the disc needs to be loaded before I can play (didn't happen on my old PC)...
I'd say he's got a v1.3 (or earlier) disk... and that he needs to consult THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <... thread near the top of the page for the Windows 10 Problem Solving...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 03:46 AM   #4
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
2nd thing is that your graphics card is getting a little long in the tooth. You might consider upgrading to a newer graphic card.

And last but not least, what version of SH4 are you using?
Howdy cdrsubron,

firstly, that my graphics card is "getting a little long in the tooth" is irrelevant: I am asking if anyone has found a way of fixing the problems I am experiencing right now, with the card that I'm using, right now.

One thing I forgot to do was install the v 1.4 patch, so I have uninstalled SH 4 and reinstalled, with the patch - of course, I can now run the game without needing the disc... and the saved games are now recognised and playable...

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
Old 10-22-18, 03:54 AM   #5
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'd say he's got a v1.3 (or earlier) disk... and that he needs to consult THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <... thread near the top of the page for the Windows 10 Problem Solving...
Ahoy propbeanie, I have gone through THEBERSTER's tutorial, plus CapnScurvey's Windows 10 thread - while useful, none of it has resolved the central problem:

I am still getting lots of flickering and blackscreen, so, I ask again, does anyone have some useful advice on configuring my current graphics card, so that I can play SH4?

Old 10-22-18, 08:44 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I see that you also list Ubuntu as your OS platform. BarracudaUAK and Rockin Robbins are probably the two members most familiar with using a Linux flavor with SH4, and BarracudaUAK (and others) did have issues with Wine and video, and with audio. For some posts around here on the general subject:

Rockin Robbins' Getting ready for Ubuntu
Reece with Ubuntu Linux questions
BarracudaUAK on WINE or How to run your Windows game on Linux
Caption_Ranker questions Silent Hunter 4 on Wine, No sound Effects?

As for Win10... re-read THEBERBSTER's post linked above, and make certain that Windows 10 has not done dirty deeds done dirt cheap, and trashed your display. Make certain that you have DirectX v9.0c that came with the SH4 game installed. Make certain that
1. You know your display monitor's "Native" resolution
2. You have Windows and the nVidia card set to that same resolution ("recommended")
3. Set the game to that same resolution - if possible
If you can't satisfy #3, then try to find a "multiple" setting, such as a 16:9 widescreen setting or a 5:4 setting, or whatever ratio your display is. You might have to right-click on the SH4.exe file, choose "Properties", click on the "Compatibility" tab, and click on "Run as administrator", though that's usually only necessary for SH3. Or you might have to tick the "Disable display scaling on high DPI setttings", or you might have to clear the tick if it is already set. One last thing that I always seem to forget to mention, is use LAA, as CapnScurvy describes in his thread you read. Make certain that the SH4.exe is set to "True"... Beyond that, THEBERBSTER will probably come along before too long, and have some specific advice for your set-up. One thing he would probably like to know about your computer, is which "build" is your Windows 10? That'd be under the System info somewhere, but I'm on Win7 and can't remember the Win10 "modern" way of finding that (maybe that "v1803" you show??)... Good luck with it. It can be frustrating, but you'll get there!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 04:05 AM   #7
NZSharkbait
Seaman

wolf_howl15

Problem solved with new graphics card, so cdrsubron7 was right and apologies to cdrsubron7 if I came across as a little tetchie.

As it is, I have a little more spare time to play for the next month or so: right now, I am in USS Greenling, shuttling between Saipan, Guam, Tulagi and the Bismarck Sea...

Old 12-11-18, 10:14 AM   #8
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSharkbait View Post
Problem solved with new graphics card, so cdrsubron7 was right and apologies to cdrsubron7 if I came across as a little tetchie.

As it is, I have a little more spare time to play for the next month or so: right now, I am in USS Greenling, shuttling between Saipan, Guam, Tulagi and the Bismarck Sea...

No offense taken, NZSharkbait. Happy to hear that you got things working again. Sink'em all.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote