SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-23, 04:31 PM   #1
D-Jones
Gunner

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
Default No sonar contacts with RFB 2.0

The title says it. I get no sonar tracking even when the Jap ship's right on top of me. This is the first time I've tried RFB. Takes getting used to after TMO and FotRS. My install is-RFB 2.0, RFB Patch 1, Patch 2, RSRD for RFB and RSRD patch. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
D-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-23, 05:45 PM   #2
D-Jones
Gunner

Belay that (not bad, huh?). I see that when I lower the scope it tracks. I like RFB! A lot of duds. Tough to bring a freighter down with the deck gun, etc. It does take getting used to though. Kind of minimalist in a way. I like that.
Old 12-01-23, 06:01 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Jones View Post
Belay that (not bad, huh?). I see that when I lower the scope it tracks. I like RFB! A lot of duds. Tough to bring a freighter down with the deck gun, etc. It does take getting used to though. Kind of minimalist in a way. I like that.
i was going to ask which boat you are driving and which target provides no hydrophone return.

the hydrophone on some boats will not be usable unless you are submerged AND i think there are targets that are not detectable for some reason. search the RFB 2.0 thread for a post on this topic.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-23, 10:22 PM   #4
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks. What submods do people use with RFB (aside from RSRDC and OTC)? Just curious.
Old 12-01-23, 11:28 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks. What submods do people use with RFB (aside from RSRDC and OTC)? Just curious.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\SH4_RFB\MODS]

1_RFB_2.0
2_RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
3_RFB_2.0_Patch_06June2019
4_RSRDC_RFB_V575
4_5_New Narwhal K v 1.8.5 (only for this career)
5_0_OTC RFB 2.0
5_1_Increased binoculars for RFB OTC
6_1_OTC_Gato Sonar Bearing Fix
6_3_SMMO for RFB 2.0
6_4_Clean and Quiet Map
6_5_Stop The Shouting
6_6_RFB_LocNames
8_0_Webster's 300' Underwater Visability for v1.5
8_1_3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)

LAA enabled
Old 12-03-23, 01:48 PM   #6
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks, KM.
Old 12-03-23, 04:28 PM   #7
D-Jones
Gunner

Been playing on and off all day. I haven't encountered a single merchant yet. I've run into a couple of warships that are too far away for me to do anything about, but no merchants--except one--a Dutchman. I wanted to sink him out of spite. Is this usual?

Also, playing with time compression at between 510 and 1024, I see an occasional contact fly by me without the usual "Ship sighted!" message. What are they? They're rubbing salt in my wounds.

I like this mod. One of the reasons I wanted to try it was that it has less frequent contacts to sink the entire Japanese merchant marine in one patrol, but none? I went through two patrols without encountering one merchant and very few if any warships in the Makassar straights, which is riddled with them in other mods. I'm just using RFB 2.0 + Patch, RSRDC + Patch and SMMO.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-23, 07:44 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Been playing on and off all day. I haven't encountered a single merchant yet. I've run into a couple of warships that are too far away for me to do anything about, but no merchants--except one--a Dutchman. I wanted to sink him out of spite. Is this usual?

Also, playing with time compression at between 510 and 1024, I see an occasional contact fly by me without the usual "Ship sighted!" message. What are they? They're rubbing salt in my wounds.

I like this mod. One of the reasons I wanted to try it was that it has less frequent contacts to sink the entire Japanese merchant marine in one patrol, but none? I went through two patrols without encountering one merchant and very few if any warships in the Makassar straights, which is riddled with them in other mods. I'm just using RFB 2.0 + Patch, RSRDC + Patch and SMMO.

Any answers would be appreciated.
early in the war you should see the entire japanese merchant marine sailing through the makassar straits.

not sure what the issue is.

LAA enabled
Old 12-03-23, 09:24 PM   #9
D-Jones
Gunner

That's the issue. With RFB there's nothing in the Makassar straits or anywhere else. I usually start on Jan. 19th, 42 (to give the other "aces" a head start). I'm almost always sent to the Makassar straits or close to them in the Celebes Sea. I wait for days, and nothing. Then there's the issue of seeing contacts fly by me on the Nav Map without any "Ship Sighted!" event, i.e., a ship's sighted and it automatically slows to ix. With RFB it just flies by. I don't know whether it's a friendly or an enemy.

My issue is, is it supposed to be this way, or is it just my download? Enemy merchants being somewhat scarcer is a good thing to me. Non-existent is another story.

I'll try starting at Cavite and see what happens.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-23, 07:28 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Early war, you could easily miss traffic in the Luzon Straits, since you don't have radar, but Makassar Strait is much narrower, and should be relatively easy to find traffic in, especially after 10-11 January and the battles for Tarakan and Balikpapan... You should find invasion forces during and after that time, and then eventually merchant traffic as the year progresses. Use JSGME and do an "Export active mods list" D-Jones, and then post that here. Also, did you delete the Save folder or use MultiSH4 to make a new one after activating the mod list you have?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-23, 11:37 PM   #11
D-Jones
Gunner

Tried it again starting in Cavite on Dec. 8th. I was sent to the Luzon straits. Nothing. I'm still trying to figure out what those fly-by contacts are too.

I have two installs of SH4, one Ubisoft and one Steam. I'm using the Steam install for this. I'll try the Ubisoft install also. I'll do a clean install and see what happens.

I always use JSGME, Prop. As to the multi-install thing, I just move or delete the save folders from File Explorer. That never causes problems with any other mod.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-05-23, 08:09 AM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You won't see anything in the Luzon Straits, starting on the 8th, for a while anyway. All of the invasion forces for Malaysia and points south were already by there. What you can do though is head north relatively close to Luzon, then cut across to Formosa and the Pescadores Islands. That's where the invasion forces that land in Lingayan Gulf on December 20 come from. Or, you could head for Camranh Bay Indo-China. I am reasonably certain lurker did both of those areas rather well. As for merchants, you won't see very much traffic, other than for military use, until mid-1942 when their traffic started flowing 'home'.

Those "flashes" you see are ships fleeing the Japanese advance - in theory. There is some neutral traffic in the stock game that is inappropriate, and most, but not all of it was not removed with RSRDC. High TC (anything over 512x in SH4) will result in missing contacts. Remember, 512 seconds is almost 9 minutes in real time... a lot can happen in that time frame. Also, you do have to submerge every once in a while and use the hydrophones to find "contacts" further out, then go chase them down, or stumble upon them visually.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-23, 10:37 PM   #13
D-Jones
Gunner

Thanks for the thorough answer, Prop. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me. I'm going to try an April 16th start. If I'm not mistaken, it should be easier to detect contacts at a distance while submerged with sonar than on the surface without it with RFB. I'm going to try that too.