SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-06-09, 04:36 AM   #1516
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default ducimus

Here is where I am currently. I deactivated all mods and reactivated them. That did nothing. Next, I deleted the sim file as directed. I deactivated and reactivated all mods a second time. I added Werner Sobe's Optics2overTM mod, so I could see target's at night better. Those two exercises appeared to help.

The dds took significantly longer to hunt me down (quite a bit longer) on Hong Kong task force, a single mission. I had no hits, but was close. I was using the Easy AoB mod. I fired 10 torpedoes before the dds finished me off. I could see the target's better through the scope on this night time mission. My AoB solution was off, but the night vision and dds worked as they are supposed to.

Then I tried Solomon's Rush, a single mission. This is a daylight mission, with overcast skies. I was not spotted by dds, although a BB fired its guns at me as it approached my bow. I had two hits, one each on a BB and a following cruiser, using the Solution Solver by gutted. The cruiser never spotted me. I fired three aft torpedoes at another boat, but the torpedoes went in a circle and missed. One other shot at the BB was on on target but ran too deep. My misses were attributable to a targeting problem.

This looks promising. Before, the dds were too difficult. I could not even get a shot off before a flock of them were running me down regardless of what I did to prevent it. Also, I could not get a good silhouette of the target's at night.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 05:27 AM   #1517
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reed View Post
Ducimus, has anything been done in TMO 1.7.x (whatever the latest is for the 1.7 series) that reduces the range at which aircraft are rendered? I seem to remember in RFB that even small aircraft could be seen visually from the moment that you'd get the "Aircraft spotted!" message...sometimes even before. On patrols with TMO 1.7 I hear the callout and look on the bearing in question with the binocs and they don't seem to be rendered until practically right ontop of me...this makes it near impossible to manually engage them with the AA gun (I find the AI crew gunners are poor shots).

I honestly have no idea about this. I see them just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Here is where I am currently. I deactivated all mods and reactivated them. That did nothing. Next, I deleted the sim file as directed. I deactivated and reactivated all mods a second time. I added Werner Sobe's Optics2overTM mod,.....
Ummm. I suspect you have some mod conflict shennaigans going on in some shape or form. Either that, or im so used to looking at this game, that acutally playing it is trivial to me. In any event, make sure your running SH4 version 1.5 with the Uboat add on. Then TMO version 1.7 , as linked in the first page of this thread. If your not running the beta, run the hot fix linked in the first post. Then leave the thing AS IS. Don't touch a thing. Then go talk to Rockin Robins, i've come to the conclusion he's the submarine tactician around here and explains things very well.

Speaking of Beta...

Recompiled to version 1.8.4. with some changes to traffic files.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1863

still much more work to do. It's late, im tired, going to F'ing bed now. S'cuse me while i die for the next 7 hours.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 08:15 AM   #1518
Zonke
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

Hi!
Quite new to SH4, have been playing TMO for a while in this configuration (no other mods):
1.) TriggerMaru_Overhaul_17
2.) BETA_TMO_17_to_18
3.) Beta18_Patch1_Ver8_UPC
4.) Beta18_Patch2_ver4_GfxSnd
5.) Beta18_Patch3_SubSkins
6.) Beta18_Patch4_Ver4_Dats
Plus the metric nomograph and old environments from the support dir

Will give some general feedback (note that I hardly played the stock game, only a few hours..):

First and foremost, the mod is absolutely awesome!! Many thx for providing it for us!!

I've been playing in early years with the S-18 (and abit with the Porpoise) in the Asiatic and Asiatic div.2:

One thing I noticed is that it's very easy to raid some ports and get huge tonnage (Hue-Lien, Davao, two others on Formosa I can't remember the names of..). I don't know what's historical but it seamed way too easy I thinks...
On the other hand I later tryed to raid Surabaya Java after it was captured, but could'nt find a way past a destroyer patroling the bay so I had to back off.

I changed the airstrike.cfg a little to personal preference making it slightly easier on me (since I know how hard it is to hit a sub in IL-2 ).
Otherwise I think the enemy provides a good but reasonable chalenge.

All GUI changes are very nice me thinks, only graphical thing I did'nt like was whatever the "old environments bit from the support dir" changed back regarding the water color.. :P

I was about to post about discrepencies in the rec manual and mast heights but then I read somewhere that the red/orange mark on the ships is the height reference.. Correct?

That's it for now, will be trying out TMO18x with RSRDC v500 for a while now I thinks..

And again, thank you very much for this great mod!! Without it, SH4 would have been a short experience for me..

ps. I can confirm that I would'nt have bought the U-boat expansion if it were'nt for your mod. I'd say Ubisoft should give you a copy or two of SH5 as gesture of good will (and good marketing)
Zonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 09:32 AM   #1519
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

God bless you Duci!! You have created the best Mod for SH4 in my opinion.
Old 11-06-09, 10:20 AM   #1520
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Don't think it is a mod conflict

I doubt I have a mod conflict. My mods list is short. It includes (1) EZ Plot 1.0 (mod restores the tails and sensor information), (2) TGT Dials to PK FIX and (3) TGT DIALS TO PK FIX 1.5 (these are the Easy AoB mod and allow me to move the TGT dials on the upper right of the screen), (4) Webster's Better Air Patrols, (5) Webster's Reduced Radio Traffic for 1.4 & 1.5, (6) Radio Station Manager 1.2, and (7) Optics 2 over TM by Werner Sobe. I have also activated (8) TMO_Deckguns M32_Paint, and (9) TMO_ Stern_DeckGuns from TMO 1.7 to 1.8 (I think you know about the last two).

The screen shot that was posted in this thread above shows a night time periscope view. You can barely make out a target. I was getting the same view as I could barely make out targets. It appears the person who posted it and I had the same issue in that regard. I think I may have eliminated that issue with Werner Sobe's mod.

However, the more critical problem was that I was being identified and targeted by the dds with an extremely high rate of frequency and with commensurate, devastating consequences. Eliminating the sim file cfg data folder may have rectified that problem. I played Solomon's Rush again this morning and the dds did not locate me. A cruiser and BB fired at me, but missed. This is a good sign, as if dds do not locate me during a daylight patrol, they will likely miss finding me at night. I can live with that for now. At least I can launch some torpedoes, and it may be that the problem is solved. If not, I will try something else. I could not find the TMO training wheels post by the way.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 11-06-09 at 04:18 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 01:28 PM   #1521
Sevrin
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
God bless you Duci!! You have created the best Mod for SH4 in my opinion.

x2
Old 11-06-09, 11:05 PM   #1522
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I was going through some old pic's today, and i found this:

I have always loved that. But here's the rub:
If you use Post process filter (the graphics option that in the stock game gives the screen a grainy effect), it makes this dark atmosphere even DARKER.

Another rub is the argument that lighting this low isn't historically correct. Frankly the only argument all accept on this, is one straight from someone who served on diesal boats during or just after WW2. I'm not sure anyone really knows what the original lights were like. But... i like to sidestep these arguments by not doing anything that would make the argument come up in the first place... like acutally lowering the lighting like i was wanting to.

Just tossing the subject up for commentary.
Old 11-07-09, 12:08 AM   #1523
Hydra
Mate

Downloads: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Here is where I am currently. I deactivated all mods and reactivated them. That did nothing. Next, I deleted the sim file as directed. I deactivated and reactivated all mods a second time. I added Werner Sobe's Optics2overTM mod, so I could see target's at night better. Those two exercises appeared to help.
You might also want to try the lite fog mod. It helped me see better at night.
Old 11-07-09, 12:18 AM   #1524
Hydra
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Frankly the only argument all accept on this, is one straight from someone who served on diesal boats during or just after WW2. I'm not sure anyone really knows what the original lights were like.

Just tossing the subject up for commentary.
I served on WWII diesel submarines and your lights are too damned dark! It took me 45 minutes to find the head before they put the bright bulbs back in.
Old 11-07-09, 05:18 AM   #1525
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Default chain of command

another thing of interest for the TMO final
might be a chain of command mod, i'm currently
working on the animgraphs and it works like
this: (command: new course 280) OOD confirms as usual
"yes sir! new course 280"
helmsman: "new course 280 degrees yes sir!"
now would that be correct?
what basic confirmations would be an absolute must have?
i also added them saying degrees, knots, port, starboard back in.
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 11:39 AM   #1526
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
another thing of interest for the TMO final
might be a chain of command mod, i'm currently
working on the animgraphs and it works like
this: (command: new course 280) OOD confirms as usual
"yes sir! new course 280"
helmsman: "new course 280 degrees yes sir!"
now would that be correct?
That is my undertanding of it. Commands would be repeated to confirm that they heard the correct order.

Quote:
what basic confirmations would be an absolute must have?
Tough question! Being strapped for time, this is one of those things id toss on a back burner and never get to. If i had the time then id be all over it. So i guess my response is, if you have the time, be my guest. I certainly won't turn it down!

Quote:
i also added them saying degrees, knots, port, starboard back in
Wow i suck. I totally missed that. I thought something was missing (from Sh3 functionality), but couldn't quite place it.

I do have one request though, please use the files in the beta as a base. Aside from that, all i can say is thank tremendously for the generious offer!
Old 11-07-09, 01:53 PM   #1527
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I do have one request though, please use the files in the beta as a base
umm.. i've started this a long time ago (TMO1.6-1.7),
so what's changed in the newer graphs?
couldn't be too much hope.
..only because i can't remember everything what i've changed since then..
Old 11-09-09, 02:46 AM   #1528
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I corrected two files. One is the sonarmans graph file. added missing orders which being absent resulted in an endless loop of "Yes sirs". The other file being in the graph file i created for the XO when at battle stations in the conning tower. Its the graph where he faces you while your at the periscope. Animation fixes on that one.
Old 11-09-09, 06:26 AM   #1529
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I corrected two files. One is the sonarmans graph file. added missing orders which being absent resulted in an endless loop of "Yes sirs". The other file being in the graph file i created for the XO when at battle stations in the conning tower. Its the graph where he faces you while your at the periscope. Animation fixes on that one.
that's good, i didn't change these files.
i tried to let the TDC operator speak, for example when
you send the sonar bearing to TDC he should say something
like "target bearing acquired" but no luck as of yet.
there are some more nice speech files which could be used.
Old 11-09-09, 02:52 PM   #1530
Captain America
Planesman

@vickers & ducimus - Wow! I didn't know this type of stuff was being worked on. This is going to be a major improvement to the game!
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote