SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-17, 08:29 PM   #1
Windward
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Is Attacking Ships in Port Too Easy?

I have come back to Silent Hunter after an eight year absence in which I’ve forgotten everything I learned the first time, so I’m essentially a newbie. Proof of that is how long it has taken me to understand how the TDC and PK work.

I’m playing on medium difficulty with Webster’s GFO mod. On my second career mission I was ordered to insert someone near Qingdao. After doing that, I looked into Qingdao harbor and then sank three or four freighters and a subchaser with little challenge. I sank over 39,000 tons for the mission. For this I was awarded a Bronze Star and enough renown for a number of benefits, including SD radar.

I’m now on my third mission. Orders were to patrol near Hakkaido Island. I did that and then headed for the strait between Hakkaido and Honshu. I sank three freighters there and then decided to look into Aomori harbor. There were six freighters and two gunboats docked there. Having learned at Qingdao that gunboat fire is rarely accurate, I decided to attack with my deck gun. I sank four freighters and then used a torpedo to dispose of one pesky gunboat that manage to hit me, racking up a total of 18,400 tons in the harbor, to go with the 19,000 tons I had sunk in the strait. Then sonar picked up a convoy of six merchants and two warships approaching from the north at long range, so I left the harbor and headed north. There are still many hours of night and I have half of my torpedoes left (seven fore and one aft), so I expect to sink substantially more tonnage.

This success bothers me though. Harbors seem way too easy. In other computer games, I’ve always declined to exploit “gliches” that allow players to exploit programming oversight in order to rack up unearned benefits like experience and money. I’m starting to feel like attacking harbors is in this category. I’m not sure I want to succeed in this way.

So, I’m interested in what others think. I’d love to hear your opinions. Also, does this issue go away with some of the mega mods like Trigger Maru? I guess I’m seeking a balance between challenge and difficulty while I work my way up to higher difficulty levels and greater challenges.