SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-13, 01:47 PM   #61
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Uploads: 0

Hello, TDW.

Here is a FREE online Almanac: http://www.tecepe.com.br/scripts/AlmanacPagesISAPI.dll

At the bottom you can input any WWII date. It will give you The Greenwich Hour Angle for any navigational star, planet, moon or sun, as well as the Declination.

The same site offers all the visible celestial bodies for any Lat/Long.
It will give each body's REAL altitude (Hc) calculated. You could use this as a reference.

Your work is magnificent btw.

I have not been able to op SH5 since they removed online sign in.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 02:04 PM   #62
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

How does all this camera AngularAngle and ticker tape for the scopes go together? I know AngularAngle has something to do with FOV but what
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 02:26 PM   #63
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

For reference sake, if you know your exact Lat/Long, as in SH3/data/cfg/Careers/....map file

[Waypoint]
PointsNb=12
Pt0=-149885.14,7091927.38,-13.28

These numbers can be divided by 120000 to obtain Lat/Long as used by Python in conjunction with Stellarium for sh3.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the workings of SH5, but I'm positive You are and know where to get that info. The Almanac that I reference above will get you the true degrees of altitude of any celestial body from any location, so it may be possible to measure a body's altitude with your sh5 sextant and compare it with the (Hc) altitude of the almanac to adjust your sextant.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 07-21-13, 02:34 PM   #64
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1reed View Post
For reference sake, if you know your exact Lat/Long, as in SH3/data/cfg/Careers/....map file

[Waypoint]
PointsNb=12
Pt0=-149885.14,7091927.38,-13.28

These numbers can be divided by 120000 to obtain Lat/Long as used by Python in conjunction with Stellarium for sh3.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the workings of SH5, but I'm positive You are and know where to get that info. The Almanac that I reference above will get you the true degrees of altitude of any celestial body from any location, so it may be possible to measure a body's altitude with your sh5 sextant and compare it with the (Hc) altitude of the almanac to adjust your sextant.
I can get my exact position in real time (SH5 makes this real easy with it's scripting abilities) so that's no problem. SH5 code is SH3/4 code enhanced. Makes it really easy to find things

Thanks for the info. Some people are testing your information and I hope they will report back their findings. Then I can take that data and write some calibration code to return the true angle.
Old 07-21-13, 02:43 PM   #65
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

BZ and all the best.

~ George Orwell
Old 07-21-13, 05:38 PM   #66
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
BZ and all the best.

Well the feedback from one person so far is success. I don't know what this stuff means but can you verify his post?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2513

Looks like the angle val I pulled from the game is perfect and nothing more needs to be done to it
Old 07-21-13, 10:17 PM   #67
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Nicely done. A Line of Position within 5 to 6 nm is remarkable. Easily within line of sight from the turm of a Uboat in clear Wx.

~ George Orwell
Old 07-21-13, 11:24 PM   #68
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Nicely done. A Line of Position within 5 to 6 nm is remarkable. Easily within line of sight from the turm of a Uboat in clear Wx.
Excellent. You are obviously way more familiar with this than I am. I can code anything, doesn't mean I necessarily understand it
Old 07-22-13, 11:55 AM   #69
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

It seems we are both involved with navigation in one form or another. Whether stars or 1's and 0's, your efforts will have made the course easier to follow. Well Done.

~ George Orwell
Old 07-28-13, 08:11 PM   #70
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Well the feedback from one person so far is success. I don't know what this stuff means but can you verify his post?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2513

Looks like the angle val I pulled from the game is perfect and nothing more needs to be done to it
hello TDW,

The angle that you are reading is absolutely ok to use becuase it is the stadimeter's angle which is absolutely correct.
this angle is always ok no matter what angular angle is altered at the cameras.dat and no matter what zoom you choose even if it is <1 .
the <1 zoom idea(from Vanjast) and findings are 100% tested and checked.
the stadimeter line always is reading the correct degrees (your tester is wrong about the <1 zooms. all is ok at whatever zoom you want to work)

something else that i noticed at your tests is that slept your intention that there is difference between the decimal values and the DMS values.keep that in mind ,next time that you compare data from stellarium (which are at DMS format) with your app data (which are at decimal format)

also, there is at sh3 ,exept from the clock problem, one more problem: the sun and the moon are slightly displaced (about 1 or 2 degrees at Latitude and maybe ,can't remember now, at Longitude too) which is not happening with the stars which are absolutely correct. i am suspecting that the same displacement at sun and moon will still be present at sh5 so you(your testers) must check it.

something else that is realy amazing (but i haven't installed the sh5 to check it myself) is that the clock appears to show the correct time (time in game matches with time at stellarium) . this is the big problem in sh3 , the clock (read a few posts above about it).
i noticed that at sh5 the time is called ''Naut'' . what is this ? if ,indead, that is the time that we need to appear in game , can you make a patch to order this time appear in sh3 too ?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 05:58 AM   #71
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Hem... excuse me, but... i don't understand very well. What is the conclusion of all these discussions ? Have you reached a solution ? Is it usable in the game ?
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 08:10 AM   #72
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

IMHO it is usable. Problem is that clock in your sub is set to nautical timezone of place where your sub is in moment of game load. You must do time correction by yourself.
Look at history in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...193974&page=11
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote