SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-18, 07:37 PM   #5836
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
The FOTRSU project has come a long way in the nearly two years since it began in May 2016. Originally, a plugin was envisioned that would allow the player to select his/her difficulty level. Has this been abandoned?
I don't think that anyone has answered your question yet as far as I can tell. The plugins are still in the works as far as I know, the main work that is being done on the main game takes time and the plugin mods will be addressed at the appropriate time.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 11:17 PM   #5837
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Thanks for the map cdrsubron7! Excellent report, sir

I ought to forward you what I sent CapnScurvy about the 41a Convoys. Talk about a mess... Anyway, I'll look into that #@%$ Conte Verde. - Say, that name sounds familiar...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 04:57 PM   #5838
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks for the map cdrsubron7! Excellent report, sir

I ought to forward you what I sent CapnScurvy about the 41a Convoys. Talk about a mess... Anyway, I'll look into that #@%$ Conte Verde. - Say, that name sounds familiar...
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
I was playing with my Tench class off Japan in Feb 1945 and noticed that the batteries were taking a long time to recharge so I did some experimenting.
I ran the battery completely flat and then went ahead one third, one engine on propulsion and 3 on charge and it took 41 hours to completely recharge the batteries. I know that batteries charge faster when they're completely flat and then you have to slow the charge rate as they get more charged up but from flat the battery was only at 37% after 12 hours.
I would have thought that with 3 engines on charge a fleet boat would recharge its batteries a lot faster than that.
Does anyone know how long a fleet boat took to recharge its batteries?
Can this be adjusted to be more realistic?
I've been doing some research and fleet boats had more generating power than their batteries could absorb. (4 engines) A realistic time to recharge a fleet boat battery from flat would be about 8 hours with 2 engines on charge. So providing the boat is doing one third or two thirds speed the recharge rate should be flat to full 8 hours or 2 hours per quarter of the battery.
If the boat is traveling faster than two thirds speed recharging would take longer because more power would be being used for propulsion. So at standard speed I believe it would take about 12 hours to recharge to full from flat. At ahead full this would go up to around 24 hours to recharge and at flank there would be no spare power to charge the battery.
I know this doesn't take into account the slower charge rate used as the battery reaches capacity but I think that would make things too complicated.
There's some good information on this on the Navweaps site and a few clues in the books written by fleet boat skippers but anything more accurate is difficult to come by.
Would it be possible to adjust the fleet boats recharging speeds to mirror these times?
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 03:32 AM   #5839
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Whoops, wrong thread.

Too many windows open!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 07:15 AM   #5840
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
I've been doing some research and fleet boats had more generating power than their batteries could absorb. (4 engines) A realistic time to recharge a fleet boat battery from flat would be about 8 hours with 2 engines on charge. So providing the boat is doing one third or two thirds speed the recharge rate should be flat to full 8 hours or 2 hours per quarter of the battery.
If the boat is traveling faster than two thirds speed recharging would take longer because more power would be being used for propulsion. So at standard speed I believe it would take about 12 hours to recharge to full from flat. At ahead full this would go up to around 24 hours to recharge and at flank there would be no spare power to charge the battery.
I know this doesn't take into account the slower charge rate used as the battery reaches capacity but I think that would make things too complicated.
There's some good information on this on the Navweaps site and a few clues in the books written by fleet boat skippers but anything more accurate is difficult to come by.
Would it be possible to adjust the fleet boats recharging speeds to mirror these times?
Faster recharge speeds can be done, but not for the reasons you're suggesting. Like it or not, the game engine only recognizes two propulsion engines for the Fleetboat. ....the same as the German U-boat. Why? Well then, you don't know your UbiSoft game development history. Let's just say it was easier for good 'ol Ubi to push out an "American Submarine Simulation" game using their SHIII product, then it was to make a new "base" model of the equipment used.

Without 4 engines, no such capabilities as you describe. Any reference to having 4 capable engines in the game is just whitewashed with descriptions, but there's no simulated power plant having 4 distinct parts.....only two.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 10:21 AM   #5841
G Man
Seaman

Downloads: 146

Understood Capn, it doesn't really matter if the game knows how many engines the boat has so long as the recharge times can be made to work realistically.
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 10:37 AM   #5842
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Understood Capn, it doesn't really matter if the game knows how many engines the boat has so long as the recharge times can be made to work realistically.
For the average gamer, you never know what goes on "under the hood" that limits game play. For instance, when only two engines are produced in-game, you'll get only two chances to avoid catastrophic damage....once done, your toast.....dead in the water. Where if you had four, the likelihood of having zero propulsion for producing at least a little power was very small. You could get home on battery power as long as one engine could recharge. But, that won't be the case with SH4.

Real life statistics are fine, but when a game doesn't simulate real life....don't expect to get real life performance.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-24-18, 11:43 AM   #5843
propbeanie

I think the main worry Capn, was what is hightlighted below:
Quote:
I was playing with my Tench class off Japan in Feb 1945 and noticed that the batteries were taking a long time to recharge so I did some experimenting.
I ran the battery completely flat and then went ahead one third, one engine on propulsion and 3 on charge and it took 41 hours to completely recharge the batteries. I know that batteries charge faster when they're completely flat and then you have to slow the charge rate as they get more charged up but from flat the battery was only at 37% after 12 hours.
I would have thought that with 3 engines on charge a fleet boat would recharge its batteries a lot faster than that.
Does anyone know how long a fleet boat took to recharge its batteries?
Can this be adjusted to be more realistic?
I'll try me some quick experiments myself (in a "safe zone" of the world) and see what the Gato does versus the Tench... 'Course, this is 3rd in line though, of things for me to do...

Old 03-24-18, 01:06 PM   #5844
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
I think the main worry Capn, was what is hightlighted below:

I'll try me some quick experiments myself (in a "safe zone" of the world) and see what the Gato does versus the Tench... 'Course, this is 3rd in line though, of things for me to do...
GATO & TENCH, BALAO class too had 4 engines and should have similar recharge times; guessing less than 8 hours at two-engine speed. I have detailed notes and charts somewhere on submerged distance traveled at various speeds, and recharge times for both the two and four engine fleet-boats.

CCIP was successful in modding Realistic Battery Life back in the mini-Tweaker days (2007) which inspired me to study this issue when the Dev's did something to the files in patch v1.3 that nullified CCIP's mini-Tweaker work. That v1.3 patch release was a sad day. Using S3D I modded realistic battery life and recharge times using Ducimus' brainstorm method on my install.

Trivia: Believe it or not, battery performance was different for US subs depending on if it was War-time or Peace-time.... I never found out why but it is something to take into consideration when looking at sources.

Sorry, but when I saw 41 hours I knew that wasn't correct.

Happy Hunting!
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 01:21 PM   #5845
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I realize what G-Man was saying, MY point is the game doesn't recognize 4 engines at work....as the real life Fleetboats had them.

From what I can tell, FOTRS Ultimate has the same Battery recharge rate as the Stock game.....nothing different in the Propulsion area. So, there's room for improvement. I'm already testing some new figures.

Quote:
Old 03-24-18, 01:37 PM   #5846
propbeanie

Man, you are ~on~ it... I just now got me a test mission set up. I have no figures yet. I are s-s-l-l-l-o-w-w-w-w...

Edit 1530 Eastern: OK, first runs:
Tench boat
Ahead Flank at 0900 hours Day 1
Boat slowed to 2knots @ 1300
Battery discharged to 4% at 1600
Surfaced and begin charge at Ahead Standard
Battery charged to 50% at 1030 hours Day 2
Battery charded to 75% at 2300 hours
Battery @ 100% 1430 Day 3

Gato boat
Battery 4% discharged at 1600 hours
Surfaced and Ahead Standard @ 0600 hours Day 2
Battery re-charged to 25% at 1430
Battery charged to 50% at 0115 Day 3
Battery charged to 75% at 1345
Battery fully charged at 100% 0515 Day 4
Now, I never did get either boat to fully discharge, not for lack of trying. With the Tench, I didn't try very long. With the Gato, I did, hence the difference between the 4% charge, which is where the game states "Battery fully discharged" at 1400, and not surfacing until 0600 hours the next day, and we were still on a 2% charge, boat still doing 2 knots, telegraph still on Ahead Flank...

Charge times for Tench 18 hours to 50%, Gato 18 hours and 45 minutes, which could well be a function of the TC used, and the fact that the Gato battery was taken down to 2% for a much longer period of time than the Tench boat's was. the 75% to 100% figures are Tench at 15 and a half hours, Gato at 14 and a half hours. Again, could be the TC used - OR - horrors, my math... as a little side-note, I almost did not graduate from high school... 'Course, that was a little something more than just grades ... Anyway. There are my first runs. I am in a bit of a hurry, with several more things to do today, so it will be a while before I re-visit this. CapnScurvy, if you need a guinea pig in a couple of days, just holler...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-24-18 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Data
Old 03-24-18, 04:52 PM   #5847
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Man, you are ~on~ it... I just now got me a test mission set up. I have no figures yet. I are s-s-l-l-l-o-w-w-w-w...

Edit 1530 Eastern: OK, first runs:
Tench boat
Boat slowed to 2knots @ 1300
Battery discharged to 4% at 1600
Surfaced and begin charge at Ahead Standard
Battery charged to 50% at 1030 hours Day 2
Battery charded to 75% at 2300 hours
Battery @ 100% 1430 Day 3

Gato boat
Battery 4% discharged at 1600 hours
Surfaced and Ahead Standard @ 0600 hours Day 2
Battery re-charged to 25% at 1430
Battery charged to 50% at 0115 Day 3
Battery charged to 75% at 1345
Battery fully charged at 100% 0515 Day 4
Now, I never did get either boat to fully discharge, not for lack of trying. With the Tench, I didn't try very long. With the Gato, I did, hence the difference between the 4% charge, which is where the game states "Battery fully discharged" at 1400, and not surfacing until 0600 hours the next day, and we were still on a 2% charge, boat still doing 2 knots, telegraph still on Ahead Flank...

Charge times for Tench 18 hours to 50%, Gato 18 hours and 45 minutes, which could well be a function of the TC used, and the fact that the Gato battery was taken down to 2% for a much longer period of time than the Tench boat's was. the 75% to 100% figures are Tench at 15 and a half hours, Gato at 14 and a half hours. Again, could be the TC used - OR - horrors, my math... as a little side-note, I almost did not graduate from high school... 'Course, that was a little something more than just grades ... Anyway. There are my first runs. I am in a bit of a hurry, with several more things to do today, so it will be a while before I re-visit this. CapnScurvy, if you need a guinea pig in a couple of days, just holler...
Thanks propbeanie, as usual you've outdone yourself!!

So, if MY math is right. The Tench took 46:30 hours to recharge from a 4% capacity battery, @ an "Ahead Standard" speed. The Gato took 47:15 hours to recharge from a 2% capacity battery, at the same engine setting. That sounds about right since both subs have the same propulsion setup.

I just finished monkeying around with some figures and did a test with a Porpoise. I went down to 10% battery capacity, then began my recharge with an "Ahead 1/3rd" engine speed. At the more conservative engine speed, I was able to get 100% recharged after 24:00 hours flat.

So, three things....we need to be on the same page regarding what recharge speed we should use.

Second, I think my tweaking may have produced some of the difference between your recharge time and mine. Although my "Ahead 1/3rd" producing a 3 kt travel speed was putting more energy back into the batteries than a 11 kt "Ahead Standard" speed would.

Third, make sure you've got the Option "Limited Batteries" checkmarked.

I'll "tweaked" some more and will test again.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-24-18 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 03:20 PM   #5848
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98

Is here some manual or complete explanation what this mod do? Thanks.
P.S. And should i prefer it TMO with all submods? How about CTD and broken saves?
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 09:04 PM   #5849
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakopis View Post
Is here some manual or complete explanation what this mod do? Thanks.
P.S. And should i prefer it TMO with all submods? How about CTD and broken saves?

There is no manual per see right now for FOTRSU as we are still in the development stages with this mod. Just to let you know FOTRSU is based on an earlier version of TMO (v1.7). There is much in FOTRSU that no other mod has right now and things are being added all the time. You'll find that if given a chance FOTRSU might catch your attention, there are still problems that need to be ironed out, but that is what the Beta versions are all about. There are still some CTDs and problems with saved games, but if you report them here to us in the FOTRSU thread they can be addressed and corrected given time. FOTRSU is worth giving a try, even the current Beta version works very well.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 07:36 AM   #5850
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Kakopis, there are documentation's/readme's within the mod itself that explain its contents. No "Manual", yet. The reason is we're still working on the mod and its too early to put out a Manual. When in-game, use the "Help" feature to get detailed information that pertains specific to Ultimate's functions. Also, don't forget to print the Keyboard Control images that help with.........keyboard controls.

As far as keeping up with what's added, this current forum thread is your best resource. We post all the time new developments for the mod here. Which, may be the best reason why players should try Fotrs Ultimate Beta.....it's one of the few mega mods that is still being worked on. Where many have ended, we're pushing the game further.

A new version is soon to be posted here.

Quote: