SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-18, 09:09 PM   #1
Action Stations!
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Waypoints for weapons

Some feedback for Killerfish....

In the new betas, and I assume that this will follow on to the main patch, Soviet vessels have found the trigger button, and with the torrent of torpedoes and missiles being lobbed back down the bearing, after they detect your weapon, I was wondering if it would be possible to program waypoints for weapons (possible for a future mod)?

It would be especially useful, given the propensity for wire breaks right at launch, meaning that if you have tried to get some offset between yourself and a target, you have just wasted a weapon off into the unknown, but if it had a course to follow, it wouldn't be so bad.

As for TASMs, it would be great to set up multiple attack vectors, to have a better chance of a hit against targets with heavy CIWS.

Also, handy to have for the torpedoes, would be range data when setting the bearing to fire, sort of like a transparent circle with ownship at centre.

Just my .02c worth to improve a great game.

keep up the good work.
Action Stations! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 01:28 AM   #2
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

Technically you are already able to do this, albeit with only one waypoint per weapon. Click on the compass icon on the weapon panel to insert a new steer in a wire-guided torpedo.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 02:34 AM   #3
Action Stations!
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

I mean an entire course with multiple waypoints.
Action Stations! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 06:42 PM   #4
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Yea, that's what I've been hoping for so you can dogleg your torp so they will go approach the target from a different bearing. It wasn't that important before since you rarely run into counter fire. but now that the enemy is counter firing, it became quite important.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 01:10 PM   #5
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

This is kinda funny.

Gamers: "BOOHOO the Soviets aren't shooting back much!"

Devs: "Ooookay, well we worked hard and here they are, trigger happy Soviets defending themselves with torp spread snapshots"

Gamers: "BOOOHOO I want to dogleg my torpedoes so they snapshot in the wrong direction!"

That kind of defeats the purpose of this all, doesn't it...

Anyway, is that actually a realism thing, waypointed torpedoes?
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 08:54 PM   #6
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I am not sure what is "real", but if I fire and have to run and the wire breaks, they know I am there. If I am far enough out and they haven't detected me, I send them out at about a 45 degree angle and then turn them manually when they are far enough out.

If a spread is coming at me, I send a spread back and evade.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 11:54 AM   #7
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
This is kinda funny.

Gamers: "BOOHOO the Soviets aren't shooting back much!"

Devs: "Ooookay, well we worked hard and here they are, trigger happy Soviets defending themselves with torp spread snapshots"

Gamers: "BOOOHOO I want to dogleg my torpedoes so they snapshot in the wrong direction!"

That kind of defeats the purpose of this all, doesn't it...

Anyway, is that actually a realism thing, waypointed torpedoes?
It's a real world tactics. Also, it will not work without good planning. If your launch was detected, no amount of doglegging will help. Go watch some of Jive's video. He even mentioned that launching your torp from tubes that's on the other side of the sub from the contact will help mask the launch transcient which is another thing that would be nice to be implemented.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 01:59 PM   #8
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

There was NO way-point capability with the MK-48. From an operational standpoint, not really usable for a variety of factors.

In the real world, back when we had those weapons, when you launched a TASM or Harpoon, there was no way to have different attach vectors. This was due to targeting AOU (Area of Uncertainty) issues and seeker performance and how it (the missile) searched the AOU. It was very hard to get really good targeting data for an OTH (Over the Horizon) launch. The AOU sizes were large and expanded at 30kts.... Harpoon was easier because it was a shorter range weapon.

Additionally, at long ranges, you did not know who else was in the AOU. The missile was going to home in on the first target it detected.
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote