SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-18, 06:49 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Russia's Husky Class Submarine: Armed with Nuclear Torpedoes and Hypersonic Missiles?

Russia's Husky Class Submarine: Armed with Nuclear Torpedoes and Hypersonic Missiles?

Quote:
The primary improvement Husky class’ lethality is the new missile it is slated to carry—the 3M22 Zircon hypersonic cruise missile. The Zircon was successfully tested in 2017, reaching speeds of up to Mach 8. These speeds will make it very hard to track and intercept, as a cruise missile would be able to travel from a ship’s radar horizon to the ship very quickly. Zircon’s ability to reach Mach 8 puts it at almost three times faster than prior generation missiles. The P-800 Onyks or P-700 Granit missiles, for instance, could only reach speeds of Mach 2.5. The Husky class would also be capable of carrying Kalibr cruise missiles.

A recent photo released by the design bureau behind the Husky class, SB Malachit, may shed light on how these armament systems will be implemented into the submarine’s design. In the photo, launchers are seen in the bow and middle of the submarine. Eight covers are seen opening in the middle of the submarine. As Mr. Valagin writes at rg.ru, there will be between 40–48 missiles underneath these covers, as a similar launcher construction on the Yasen­-class submarines holds between 4–5 missiles, depending on the type.
Sounds like Russian engineers have not lost touch with their excellence, I've always been impressed with Russian innovation in submarines.
Old 05-11-18, 07:25 AM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The POTUS would have to decide if a first strike capability would reduce the number of these missiles being used in actual warfare ...

Awesome weapon indeed
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18, 07:27 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Not that awesome. A carrier strike group can change course a hyper-sonic missile at mach 3 plus cant.

Now the U.S. LRASM subsonic ship killer that's a bad mamma-jamma. Not only can it move in stealth like it targets and thinks for itself.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 05-11-18 at 09:09 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 02:10 AM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ does that work against submarines?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 04:16 AM   #5
GOZO
Commander

Downloads: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

SHIV:TMo 2.5, RSRD, SCAF OLC, Ralle's modpack
SHIV: WDAD, Med Campaign
SHIII: GWX3 GOLD, OLCII Gold, ACM-reloaded interface mod, SHIIIcmndr 3.2, Full Realism/DiD
SHIII: LSH3 2015
Cold Waters with all bells and whistles
Finally SHV but still unmodded and still a noob....
GOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 04:20 AM   #6
GOZO
Commander

Downloads: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Russia's Husky Class Submarine: Armed with Nuclear Torpedoes and Hypersonic Missiles?

Sounds like Russian engineers have not lost touch with their excellence, I've always been impressed with Russian innovation in submarines.
Never to be underestimated.

Just like their SOKS-system enabling Russian subs track SSN:s and SSBN:s without sonar. They look for water temperature changes from reactor cooling, zink from the anti corrosion materials fastened to the hull etc etc s"sniffing" the subs up and the locking their sonars when close enough. Really clever.

SHIV:TMo 2.5, RSRD, SCAF OLC, Ralle's modpack
SHIV: WDAD, Med Campaign
SHIII: GWX3 GOLD, OLCII Gold, ACM-reloaded interface mod, SHIIIcmndr 3.2, Full Realism/DiD
SHIII: LSH3 2015
Cold Waters with all bells and whistles
Finally SHV but still unmodded and still a noob....
GOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 08:53 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Not that awesome. A carrier strike group can change course a hyper-sonic missile at mach 3 plus cant.

Now the U.S. LRASM subsonic ship killer that's a bad mamma-jamma. Not only can it move in stealth like it targets and thinks for itself.
Nice, but at 4:34 in the video I think the LRASM would have a tough time. The key is speed. A missile going subsonic speed will be an easy target for anti-ship missile defences. Of course, that assumes the enemy has any kind of current ASMD....

And, it seems like we are behind at this point https://breakingdefense.com/2017/07/...2500-lb-lrasm/
Quote:
Admittedly, there’s a way to go before Navy vessels are packing these new heavy-duty ship-killers. The recent test launch wasn’t from an actual ship at sea, but from a launch canister at White Sands Missile Range, positioned at the same angle and using the same launch controls as the standard Mark 41 Vertical Launch System (VLS) used aboard ships. It’ll be even longer before LRASM is available for US submarines, let alone for land-based launchers. By contrast, China and Russia both arm their subs and artillery to kill ships at sea, part of the layered defenses known as Anti-Access/Area Denial. Nevertheless, between the LRASM production contract and the ship-launch test, the US is starting to catch up.
The US is always bragging about how techno and unstoppable our weapons systems are, but I always have a skeptical mind about it. The Mark 14 torpedo is a big reason for that.
Old 05-12-18, 09:00 AM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Submarines? I was assuming by the title the sub was armed with hyper-sonic (cruise) missiles not torpedoes. The point was that unlike a hyper sonic missile the subsonic LRASM was able to adjust course and speed, think for itself and use stealth to attack its target. It's bragging sure but so is Putin's hyper-sonic cruise missile technology. Right now you can only see them both fly on YouTube . I know the U.S., Russia, China and India are working on hyper-sonic cruise and ballistic missile technology. But it's my understanding too that mach 5+ cruise missile technology has a very long way to go. Everyone is working feverishly its the new missile gap everyone is trying to fill.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 05-12-18 at 11:54 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 10:03 AM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

By the time it's on youtube it's old news or fake news meant to scare you ...

Numbers scare me ... how many do the Russians have?

Only the Pentagon knows for sure ... I hope it stays a cold war.

UAV drones are the next generation problem and we (the USA) better get started now and don't forget the submarine tender drone ship.
I think some of those useless new destroyers could be converted to be mother ships for drones.

Whoops breakfast is ready bye bye
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 11:09 AM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

That would be something....an ASM who hits the brake and thereafter change course, and then pedal to the metal

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 02:43 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
That would be something....an ASM who hits the brake and thereafter change course, and then pedal to the metal

Markus
Not before the mandatory pitstop on the carrier for refueling. It breaks through the defences, lands, scares everybody, launches again, makes a u-turn and THEN explodes over its former parking position.

Psychological warfare, you know.

Tags
russian submarines