SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-10, 11:07 AM   #16
Rickenbacker
Sailor man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I'm going to say "kind of". Seems to me like the torp more or less goes where you point your scope, which means my damn crew aren't doing their job! To test this lock up a ship that's 30 degrees or to off the bow - the arrow will be yellow. Now move the scope in front of the ship to "lead" it a bit, and the arrow turns green! Something is wrong here...
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:02 PM   #17
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Now if your know your course is 0° and his course is 270° and his relative bearing is 50°, you can do the math for angle on the bow.
This is what I'm having an issue with. I have no idea what my heading is. Do I have to actually step back from the scope and look at one of the dials in the boat?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:04 PM   #18
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
This is what I'm having an issue with. I have no idea what my heading is. Do I have to actually step back from the scope and look at one of the dials in the boat?
What Im doing to find out my boats heading is to hit the "-" key and its view to heading, hit the numberpad "." key for heading to view and my navigator tells me my relative bearing
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:11 PM   #19
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

So I take it the whole torpedo thing from SHII and SHIV is now different.

I was a simpleton.. I use to just love to mark my target in SHIV set the speed of the torp and its depth and push fire. I loved the Green carot.

So now its more difficult? Ohhhhhhhh.....

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:19 PM   #20
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
you could just bring up the mini-map to full size and check your boat's course from there.

for example, if you check out the screenshot I posted above, you can see on the mini-map, my boat's course is SSW, about 185 degrees.
Old 03-02-10, 01:23 PM   #21
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
you could just bring up the mini-map to full size and check your boat's course from there.

for example, if you check out the screenshot I posted above, you can see on the mini-map, my boat's course is SSW, about 185 degrees.
"About" is not good for calculating shots from 4000 meters. Do what I do, 0 the view and go heading to view, it wont change anything and it will tell you your heading exactly.
Old 03-02-10, 09:07 PM   #22
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
"About" is not good for calculating shots from 4000 meters. Do what I do, 0 the view and go heading to view, it wont change anything and it will tell you your heading exactly.
Good workaround. Though we shouldn't have to find workarounds for this. I find it pretty ridiculous that they didn't include a "current heading" indicator on the GUI. Or a "current fuel level" for that matter.

Another question - I'm having trouble hitting stuff too...when using the stadimeter, what are you lining it up with? I'm putting the horizontal crosshair on the waterline, then bringing it up to match the top of the masts where the flag is flying. Should we be doing that? Or is it the top of the funnels?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:17 PM   #23
Drifter
Frogman

Downloads: 75

Could the torpedo misses set on auto targeting have anything to do with your crew's skill level? Just a thought...
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:22 PM   #24
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

Wow the system is so complicated. I have no idea what to do. And the manual is absalute garbage trying to explain this.

In auto TDC are you susppose to turn on the TDC? I tried both ways and neither work at all.

If you turn on the TDC then all the numbers are filled out for you it seems (maybe im wrong and they are wrong?) other then the speed. Speed you can get from the map.. So you punch in the speed. Point the scope at the bow of ship. And shoot.

Problem is torpedo goes well... I don't even know they miss by a mile.

One time I fired two torps doing just this.. And I fired at a 4 ship convoy traveling in perfect colum. Destroyer out front, two merch, another destroyer back... I fired at the 3rd ship..

My torpedos almost hit the first destroyer. I kid you not. I was like WTF?

Totally lost.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 10:11 PM   #25
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Here is a practice map you can load via Multiplayer or LAN.

Just add the folder to your MultiMissions folder.

I know its not the real QM its for practice purposes only.

I give you some information you can confirm and the numbers to start calculating the solution.

Play on any realism, takes seconds to load and its a good way to practice.

Enjoy ;]

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//dow...o=file&id=1558
Old 03-02-10, 10:30 PM   #26
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79

If the auto-targetting in SH54 is anything like SH3 and SH4 then it works like this:

1. Pointing at a ship inputs the to-target-center values for target's speed, AoB, and range so they are the same no matter where along the target you point. It's just a flag in the program to fill these values in.

2. The periscope bearing for the solution is entirely variable based on your actual periscope bearing so it is different depending on where along the target you point.

Invariant: AoB, range, speed
Varies: Bearing

This is how you can target specific portions of the target ship because the solutions auto-generated by auto-targeting differ in only the periscope bearing input.

---

As to why one would MISS using auto-targeting was typically the time delay associated with opening the torpedo shutters during the firing sequence would cause a consistent slight miss to rear.

Any other more wild miss might be caused by not setting up the targeting options properly (for example, manual periscope bearing instead of auto update).
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:11 PM   #27
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

To find your current course (without changing it)...

Put your scope at 0, and issue the change heading to view command. The crew should respond with your current course.

[edit] seems someone already posted that. But In reference to the other post saying we shouldn't have to do this "workaround", it's no different than in SH3 & SH4 for finding your accurate course due to the hard to read heading indicator.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:17 PM   #28
killpo1
Watch

Downloads: 0

Personally i prefer manually and i generally just use straight lines, using the tools on the map just measure out the distance where your torpedo will intersect the ship and calculate how long the ship will take to get there and form that you can tell how long to wait to fire and on what speed to fire on

Here is my table if your Interested its for the first type of torpedo you get

30 Knots(default/far left): 1km: 65 Seconds 2km: 130 seconds 3km: 194 Seconds
4km: 259 seconds

40 knots(middle): 1km: 49 Seconds 2km: 97.27s seconds 3km: 145.91 seconds 4km: 194.5 seconds

44 Knots(far right): 1km: 44 seconds 2km: 88.5 seconds 3km: 132.74 seconds 4km : 176.99 seconds

Generally most of the ships go 10-11 knots but if you can't tell generally the TDC can. Sure it may be a little more math oriented / complex / out of the way but it works rather well for me got a 3.5k hit today so yeah.
killpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:24 PM   #29
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by killpo1 View Post
Personally i prefer manually and i generally just use straight lines, using the tools on the map just measure out the distance where your torpedo will intersect the ship and calculate how long the ship will take to get there and form that you can tell how long to wait to fire and on what speed to fire on

Here is my table if your Interested its for the first type of torpedo you get

30 Knots(default/far left): 1km: 65 Seconds 2km: 130 seconds 3km: 194 Seconds
4km: 259 seconds

40 knots(middle): 1km: 49 Seconds 2km: 97.27s seconds 3km: 145.91 seconds 4km: 194.5 seconds

44 Knots(far right): 1km: 44 seconds 2km: 88.5 seconds 3km: 132.74 seconds 4km : 176.99 seconds

Generally most of the ships go 10-11 knots but if you can't tell generally the TDC can. Sure it may be a little more math oriented / complex / out of the way but it works rather well for me got a 3.5k hit today so yeah.
That's a bit more time intesive than it needs to be.

With just a couple of quick strokes with the map tools, you can visually determine the exact bearing your scope needs to be at for a zero gyro shot (and because it will be a zero gyro shot.. the range wont matter).

Here's a pic. If need be i'll explain it further, but the pic should be enough.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:27 PM   #30
killpo1
Watch

Downloads: 0

Momma said triangles are the devil! Specially the ones that involve trig!
killpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote