SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-15, 01:34 PM   #1
SilentHunts
Mate

Downloads: 211
Uploads: 0
Default World of Warships

I wanted to begin a thread on the game since now it is in open beta so everyone can play the game! All you have to do is go to http://worldofwarships.com/ and sign in or create an account and click play! So let me explain what the basics are to this game.

World of Warships is a free to play naval MMO action (as stated on their website) game that has ships that you can unlock and upgrade their modules. Some of the features I can mention are as follows:

Tech Tree For 4 Nations 2 Tech Trees right now are currently available and the other 2 only have premium ships but that will change with updates and such.

Modules Modules are available for each ship that there is. These modules can upgrade artillery, AA, Planes, Ship Armor and many more things. All of these first need to be unlocked with ship experience or free experience. These can help turn the tides of battle when fighting the same type of ship as you but that person has less armor or such.

Free & Ship Experience The game features ship experience & free experience. Ship Experience is Experience that you earn a lot of after each battle so you can upgrade the next ship in the line. Each line has a whole set of unique ships that can do lots of damage. Free Experience is experience that you can spend on anything that requires experience to unlock. Some of these things can be: ships and modules.

Ship Types There are 4 ship lines you can go down. First one is aircraft carriers which can launch aircraft for destroying the enemy. The second one would be battleships which are huge ships to crush the enemy and destroy them. The third are cruisers which are fast and nimble and quick to destroy an enemy. The 4th one is of course destroyers which have torpedoes you can use to destroy your enemies and cause flooding on their ship!

Port The port is where you can view all of your ships in stunning graphics. Whether that ship is a cruiser all the way to an aircraft carrier. The way that the camera works in this game is just perfect. It's almost like panning around and rotating at the same time. All ships that you unlock are in your port and can be stored there for further use. You get 6 vacant slots total for your ships but once those are full you will have to sell some ships to make room for other ships.

Gamemodes There are 2 game modes. 1 game mode is Co-op battle where players fight bots instead of real players. Then there is random battle which is a PvP gamemode. You do objectives that the maps are set to but most times there will be islands that you will most likely collide into unless you press and hold right click sometimes when in your binocular view. It zooms you out to see your ship and see any dangers coming such as torpedoes and land.

Missions Missions can provide you with extra credits to use so you can buy ships to fight in battles with. This provides extra credits rather than your normal amount you get from your battles. If your looking for extra credits use missions. They are only available in Random Battle mode though so sorry to anyone who likes Co-op mode.

That's really all I can explain about the game other than the service record which really only gives extra credits and some more features overtime. In the mean time that is really all I can add to this post for now. I'll see if I can add more in the mean time! Discuss your feelings about the game if you like it or think it needs more improvement. Remember it's in beta so some thing aren't there like people on the ships though I don't know if they will add that. Let's hope for an amazing new naval warfare game!
Old 07-04-15, 07:36 PM   #2
SilentHunts
Mate

Guess no one really likes this game? :P
Old 07-05-15, 12:25 AM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Or we already have a thread on it.....

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 02:51 AM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I play World of Warships. And wish that Russia/Soviet tree gets an expansion soon
Old 07-05-15, 03:48 PM   #5
SilentHunts
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Or we already have a thread on it.....
Well that thread made by NoLine was kind of a you know... question than anything of a proper kind of thread. I don't know if there if there is another one but yeah that other one is just some random question thread and I thought making this one that goes in depth is good.

I'm waiting for the Royal Navy because they had some really good ships I sank in Silent Hunter 3. Hopefully HMS Hood is there which it most likely to be added.
Old 07-05-15, 04:26 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunts View Post
Guess no one really likes this game? :P
Speaking only for myself of course, but I'm not really into games in general. My thing is history, and I prefer to recreate what really happened rather than make fleets and fight other players. I know it's not much of a difference, but it's a big one for me.
Old 07-05-15, 04:36 PM   #7
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I stopped playing because it is unnecessarily arcadey and ignores the possibility to offer historical accuracy for whatever reason.

Never expected a simulator... but something silly like that neither.
Old 07-05-15, 10:47 PM   #8
SilentHunts
Mate

Well I can see that sometimes arcade feeling isn't the best. I remember in their "World of Warplanes" game that they added some dumb Bf 109 Z Zwilling

It was a real plane, just something that looked dumb to put into World of Warplanes as it was a prototype plane, not one that saw service in the war at all.

I just enjoy using the battleships in that game. They're really nice you know? But they just have slow rotation of the main batteries on it (since they were huge guns) and slow speed (since they were big).
Old 07-06-15, 03:27 AM   #9
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Well I can see that sometimes arcade feeling isn't the best. I remember in their "World of Warplanes" game that they added some dumb Bf 109 Z Zwilling

It was a real plane, just something that looked dumb to put into World of Warplanes as it was a prototype plane, not one that saw service in the war at all.
You know that in WoWs there's many ships that never were built, don't you? Phoenix, Nicholas, Ibuki, Zao, Izumo, the Japanese tier10 CV (can't remember its name) are all paper projects (or directly made up by WarGaming).

The game was really good when I had the chance to test it for the first time, but as has happened with WoT, the development is killing a good idea. Carriers are overpowered and a completely different game to play (more like a Real-Time Strategy game in Age of Empires style), Battleship gameplay has become boring, and they have made destroyers almost useless and too fragile. The only class that stays more or less the same is Cruisers, and they will probably downgrade them all soon, so they can't really challenge the Battleships.
Old 07-08-15, 09:28 PM   #10
Julian
Sailor man

Downloads: 271
Default World of Warships - Critical Error Occurred message

I have downloaded and uninstalled World of Warships twice. I tried to downloaded it again for the third time. I'm trying to decide whether I should uninstall again or hold it in my computer.

Problem is I keep getting this CRITICAL ERROR OCCURRED message popping up.

Can somebody help me and tell what is happening??

Here is the message.

Critical Error Occurred

Application C:/Games/World_of_Warships/worldofwarships.exe crashed
07.01.2015 at 00:22:43

The BigWorld Client has encountered an unhandled exception and must
close (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION : 0xC0000005 @ 0x012FFF2B)
(Read @ 0x0000000C)

Memory status:
System: 386850816/3221225472 [12.01% used]

The application must exit.
OK
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 08:37 AM   #11
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

I'm loving WoWS. I don't care there is a bunch of paper ships. Take a look at WoT, most of those tanks didn't see anything other then paper or prototype. I'm sure the community of warships is going to go like WoT, but until it does, I'm going to enjoy the crap out of like I did with WoT.

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 12:57 PM   #12
SilentHunts
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81 View Post
I'm loving WoWS. I don't care there is a bunch of paper ships. Take a look at WoT, most of those tanks didn't see anything other then paper or prototype. I'm sure the community of warships is going to go like WoT, but until it does, I'm going to enjoy the crap out of like I did with WoT.
Haha now that's the spirit! I'm going to do that as well before a bunch of queers start playing the game or just ruin it.
Old 09-14-15, 11:17 AM   #13
Raptor_Pilot
WORST. KALEUN. EVER.

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Haha now that's the spirit! I'm going to do that as well before a bunch of queers start playing the game or just ruin it.
I think it might be too late for that already, and the game isn't even released yet.
If anyone is still playing this and wants a reliable teammate, add SLIM603 to your contacts. I play about once or twice a week on North America server.
Raptor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-15, 11:38 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default a viable concept though

Quote:

Ours didn't see service in WWII either but the first three North Korean aircraft shot down were by Mustang F-82's the main problem with the 109-Z as with much of the german war machine: timing; was that it was simply superseded by the ME-262 jet

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-15, 08:49 PM   #15
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

I've played a LOT of this game - I was involved in the Beta weekends back in February.

At best, I give this game 6.5/10 - it's waaaay too simplistic and "press HE to win" for my tastes.

They wantonly eschew history for their own reasons, which are never explained (for instance, Warpsite has one of the longest confirmed salvo hits in the history of naval artillery warfare, yet has one of the shortest ranges of battleships in game, the Iowa AA outfit was physically changed in order to nerf it rather than just adjust the AA values - so now the ship doesn't look historically correct let alone the fact that WG dropped the year dates on ships in an effort to make it so they could slap whatever they wanted on the ships and say it's ok because it's not representative of an actual hull, etc).

The historical travesty taking place in this game is obscene - when a Tier 6 Cleveland with 152mm cannons can use High Explosive shells and their high RoF against a Battleship, and the HE shells function like incendiary/napalm, to set a Battleship on fire and literally burn it down before the Battleship can get off two salvos - let ALONE if the Random Number Generator (RNGesus) decides if your shells will hit where you aim or magically fly in physics-defying directions - OR overpen and do no damage... It's obscene.

That's the only word for it.

For now, I play it a few times a week, but I refuse to spend any more money on it. It's bull****.