Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-17, 02:47 PM   #1
Rock Knocker
Watch

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Where's the little kid setting?

This game is TOUGH, I need some kind of child's setting so I can learn what I'm doing.

I started out playing with the truth off, but I couldn't find anything. Even playing with truths on it's very difficult.

I'm looking to find some helpful info, but... I know there's already a good amount of videos online and the 500 page users manual, so I'm asking a question I already have an answer to but I can't learn it all at once so I need to prioritize what I study first, but I know little so I have a lot to study...

Where's a good spot for a newbie to start out? I'm on the 4th Seawolf campaign mission where I need to drop off some SEALs but I've been playing this mission for more than a day and cant complete it, whether I try to sneak through(don't make it to drop in time-nor make it to drop) or try blasting my way through sending torps all over.

Help the DW noob!
Rock Knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 04:04 PM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Here you have good tutorials about submarines.

"Show truth on" is not good option for learning. You should switch this mode only for corrections (only for few secounds). You can turn on "Child settings" via AutoCrew on some stations.

Most players in MP session have AutoCrew On for:
SUBMARINES
- TMA
- Active intercept

SURFACE
- TMA
- ESM
- Active intercept
- Countermeasures

HELO/AIR
- ESM
- RADAR
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 05:14 PM   #3
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I have trouble setting up scenarios. Understanding the scripting and the settings is a challenge.

A basic go pick up a seal team scenario is something that I could add to and change the background story. Setting up comms at checkpoints is my current endeavor. Things I was looking for.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 06:04 PM   #4
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
This game is TOUGH, I need some kind of child's setting so I can learn what I'm doing.

I started out playing with the truth off, but I couldn't find anything. Even playing with truths on it's very difficult.

I'm looking to find some helpful info, but... I know there's already a good amount of videos online and the 500 page users manual, so I'm asking a question I already have an answer to but I can't learn it all at once so I need to prioritize what I study first, but I know little so I have a lot to study...

Where's a good spot for a newbie to start out? I'm on the 4th Seawolf campaign mission where I need to drop off some SEALs but I've been playing this mission for more than a day and cant complete it, whether I try to sneak through(don't make it to drop in time-nor make it to drop) or try blasting my way through sending torps all over.

Help the DW noob!

These will be some of the harder jobs to complete...

You are in a large submarine, in shallow water, and you have to "go here, yes right here... and do this. No not over there... right HERE. Got it? Ok, good, now go!".

Which means mission designers (and opposing ships) have less "space" to look through to find you.

I would suggest starting the mission without attempting to "win".
Just watch -with truth on- where the ships go, how they search, etc.
Then once you feel you have an idea, using auto-crew on most of the boat, try to reach the spot.

During your "testing" runs, think of it this way:

The point of a game of Chess is to, ultimately, "Win". To Check-mate your opponent.
But what if you don't play to "win"? What if you just play to aggravate and annoy your opponent? What if you play to draw out an inevitable loss? Force them to lose their "power pieces". Offer them a chance to win, but at the cost of their "Queen".
THAT will drive THEM nuts... All the while you are laughing (internally) and learning about how to "win" against this opponent.

Same with my DW suggestion above. Don't try to win, just learn about the Mission/AI, and try to "annoy" them!

There are many games that would hit a spot, that was well known for being buggy and/or poorly designed at that point, that no matter how "perfect" I played it... It would never work.
Only when I started with the chess strategy mentioned above, did things start working.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 07:46 PM   #5
Rock Knocker
Watch

Thanks Barracuda I will give that a try.

On to more confusion though, I started the "Earn your dolphins" campaign where I have to drop of more SEALs on the Cuban shoreline... Thirty game minutes in it says my main objective has been completed but Im no where near the drop point. When I get to the drop point I release the special forces but instead of getting to shore and hiding they just drive up and down the shore line like some Somali pirates high on herbs.

The next mission in the campaign is unlocked, I must pick up the SEALs I just dropped off, but soon as I start the mission I'm told the SEALs were lost and to continue with the mission.....? My only mission was to pick them up but there's no one to pick up???
Old 05-07-17, 11:18 PM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

I don't know what version of DW you play (RA, LwAmi or vanilla) but not all missions or campaings are compatibile.

Earn your dolphins in RA had small bug. You probably have no patches for RA 1.41 because bug was fixed.

Fix on RedRodgers forum

Better way is to patch RA

patch #1
unpack in Game folder then run Patch_DWX_141_1.bat file In Graphics subfolder

patch #2
unpack in Game folder over Patch#01

[you can change language with down-right flag icon]

====

Quote:
Where's a good spot for a newbie to start out?
In my opinion best way is to learn all about one sub. For example - LA is best for learning.
You don't need to read all 500 pages of manual - just all about prefered sub.
This is important because all submarines have little different sonars (sensitiveness, max speed without "washout" and most important: frequences of detecton)

Quote:
I started out playing with the truth off, but I couldn't find anything
For detection you should use Towed Array sonar in narrowband mode. Which one (port or starboard) - that you have to read from manual
If you play with autocrew option on sonar station you can't work manually because AI all the time changes cursor possition on displays. So turn ON autocrew only if you are on map or other station. When you do sonar job better is turn OFF Autocrew.
Old 05-08-17, 11:35 AM   #7
Rock Knocker
Watch

I am running DWX and thanks for those patches. I just installed them as recommended now I have to go try them out.

It will take me another day to try to battle or sneak my way to the coastline to see if I can get the SEALs to actually do there job instead of driving up and down the coast like tourists on a pleasure cruise.
Old 05-08-17, 02:43 PM   #8
Rock Knocker
Watch

Well, the patches fixed the air headed special forces, they now beach and destroy the target but even though I completed the drop off in time I didn't get a "Mission complete" for dropping them off and the last part of the mission is to exit the area... I exited and was about half way to the north pole but still didn't get a "mission complete" for exiting.

One of the less important objectives is to not be detected... I sank all enemy ships in sight... maybe that's my problem?
Old 05-08-17, 03:41 PM   #9
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Any questions?
Old 05-08-17, 09:00 PM   #10
Rock Knocker
Watch

This happened on the 688_Seawolf_SubCommand campaign, Severomorsk mission.

Didn't say to not engage anyone, just not to be detected as a minor mission.

But after reading the premission briefing it tells me to exit to a certain location and await instructions. I sank everyone, dropped SEALs and headed to the north pole.
Old 05-08-17, 09:50 PM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
This happened on the 688_Seawolf_SubCommand campaign, Severomorsk mission.

Didn't say to not engage anyone, just not to be detected as a minor mission.

But after reading the premission briefing it tells me to exit to a certain location and await instructions. I sank everyone, dropped SEALs and headed to the north pole.
"Not being detected" also means "not shooting" because shooting makes a lot of noise haha. But I agree that Sub Command Severomorsk is rather vague in that regard.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 11:29 PM   #12
Rock Knocker
Watch

Yes, I found that out. Completed the mission without shooting anyone

I made it to the drop point 3 game minutes too late though...
Old 05-09-17, 12:55 AM   #13
Rock Knocker
Watch

These campaigns are blindingly difficult.

The difficulty is one thing but being on a time crunch and having to try to sneak around at flank speed is a steaming pile of BS.
Old 05-24-17, 10:40 PM   #14
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

When first starting out, auto crew is your friend. Before starting campaigns I'd just do quick patrols, starting on easy and making your way up to hard.

Keep in mind that each submarine class will play very differently and to try and stick with one class (the main thing I hated about the vanilla campaign was not being able to play the same ship each time) once you start learning the ins and outs of your sub and the weapons it shoots and start figuring out your tactics, then you'll start doing alright.

Now in a sub, probably the first station besides maneuvering you want to figure out will be sonar, as it is your number one go to sensor for everything. Learn how to navigate the sonar station, how to search, assign, and track contacts. Learn the different sounds and frequencies and what they mean, what a movement of the lines mean. The tutorials and videos help but this is going to be a game of experience. Start on easy, you'll be given the job of tracking some blind and deaf old foxtrot or Han. After you master that move up in difficulty.

Once you get sonar down, the only other difficult station is TMA. I personally let auto crew handle the TMA for the most part, but knowing how to do it can come in handy sometimes when the auto crew jerks you around. A prime example is when the auto crew says a sub is doing 20 knots and your demon says it's doing 10. Knowing how to use the TMA and manually plugging in the speed and finding your solution can shave minutes off the time to get an accurate solution, and a lot can happen in those minutes that could mean the difference between finishing the mission or ending up an artificial reef.

Hope that helps.