SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-17, 06:33 AM   #1501
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Ohio Trilogy issues

Hi all,

Have been running the Reinforced Alert for almost a month now. I love it, really nice touches, but some issues I was hoping to bring to the brain trust here.

Let's consider the Ohio Trilogy. My first issue which is not really the reason I came here but since I'm here, mission 1- always seems like I only "detect and classify" one of two contacts, because no matter what, when I start Mission 2 , I am told "last mission one contact only detected not classified!!" -- I never really cared, I didn't think it was an issue, but annoying.... what gives?

My real problem seems to be SATCOM. For some reason, I am never able to complete this mission - 9 out of 10 times I play it, the second SATCOM transmission re-retracting the targeting package does not come through. I will get the second "Capt, radio, receiving flash traffic VLF" msg - I will come up and raise my ESM mast - and the satellite just flies on by. I had been thinking I was missing the time frame, so id set myself shallow and just wait, so I would have my mast up in plenty of time- nope. I wondered if I had to ALREADY have my mast up - nope. I wondered, do I need to actually toggle the mast up as the satellite approaches? Nope. It just flies on by the second time.

So of course, when I get the radio message to launch, my targets are not the silos, so I don't really complete the mission.

And the handful of times I have HAD the second SATCOM message actually work, I don't destroy all the targets of course. One or two will be 99% and one will either be shot down or failed to work at all, not sure, but the two or three times (out of 30? 40?) Times I have tried, and had the successful second SATCOM message, I don't get "good effects on target" on all of them.

Am I doing something wrong or not understanding something?

Ok thank you very much.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 08:13 AM   #1502
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi,
no, it's not your fault, the Ohio campaign is just flat out broken. Besides terrible design, tons of typos and inauthentic objectives, I'd not be surprised if it is functionally broken as well.

I played it once, after that checked it in the editor and realized I'm wasting my time.

My suspicion?
The RA team added these 3 nonsensical missions without playing it themselves.
Alas, I don't see how that mess went through anything like a quality check.
This goes, unfortunately, for many missions - RA or not.

Advice?
Skip it, it's not fun at all anyways.
Old 04-06-17, 03:42 PM   #1503
tAKticool47
Bosun

Default Fair enough!

Thank you very much! Makes a lot more sense now!

Sucks because as an American, it felt like a lot of fun to use the Ohio-class and especially sneak and peak doing some SLBM atomic booms.

Sucks really.

But thank you very very much!!
Old 04-09-17, 04:04 PM   #1504
Guts
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Icon9 English Text File Missing

I've recently completed the RA 141 upgrade an it keeps coming up with a English Text File missing message.

I've tried 3 times. I did not have the Steam addition, I'm running Win 7 and I did a clean install with 104 Patch.

I even added the 141 Patches 1 & 2 from Red Rodgers forum.

Desperate for help.
Old 04-15-17, 01:16 PM   #1505
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post

Desperate for help.
How did you install these patches exactly?
Patch #1 needs some hand-holding. In the Graphics folder is a batch file you gotta execute. Maybe that's the problem.

I'm running 1.42 as well, no problems on my end.
Old 04-19-17, 04:19 PM   #1506
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
I've recently completed the RA 141 upgrade an it keeps coming up with a English Text File missing message.

I've tried 3 times. I did not have the Steam addition, I'm running Win 7 and I did a clean install with 104 Patch.

Desperate for help.
In my experience installing it on Windows 7, installing the RA Mod 1.41 BASE installation requires running the batch file as an administrator. However, for patch 1, the batch file can NOT be run as administrator. It can be run as an administrator, but only works when you run it normally. Again, this has been my experience and your mileage may vary.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 02:00 PM   #1507
Guts
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
In my experience installing it on Windows 7, installing the RA Mod 1.41 BASE installation requires running the batch file as an administrator. However, for patch 1, the batch file can NOT be run as administrator. It can be run as an administrator, but only works when you run it normally. Again, this has been my experience and your mileage may vary.
Thank you Gents. I'm going to try it. Wish me luck
Old 05-21-17, 05:14 PM   #1508
tAKticool47
Bosun

Default One more question...

One more question if I may?

Is it possible to just easily edit the general "skill level" of the campaigns of the Reinforce Alert?

What I am noticing is that the hardness is *much, much, much* harder than what I had been used to before I installed Reinforce Alert.

Like, ridiculous.

I can't seem to have fun in any of the campaigns because I just can't advance! Even if I use Truth, and basically 'cheat' I still wind up randomly taking damage, I'll suddenly hear 'OH NO WE'VE BEEN HIT" and I'll see "Ownship destroyed by" and it's Russian terms I have never even heard of. Other times I'll get detected and torpedoed or missiled etc. no matter what I do, it's like I'm battling a supercomputer.

Can I easily switch this in a way I am not understanding, or am I just screwed here? I tried loading the mission editor but it seems like it's a bit above my brains paygrade.

Thank you very much!
Old 05-21-17, 05:32 PM   #1509
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You cannot adjust AI skill level, no.
If nothing works, you can load the mission in question in the editor and edit the trigger necessary to complete the mission.

For example, if in any mission one critical goal is named "12345", then the trigger will exactly bear this name in the mission. click on it, and un-hook "critical" on the first page of the trigger. now you can exit the mission and it will resolve as completed.

Be mindful about this, though.
RA is more difficult, yes, but it isn't as much as you make it out, so don't ruin your own fun and learning process by just skipping everything.
One further note: Sorry to say, but the RA campaigns are quite badly designed/playtested in general and often cause confusion and problems due to bad mission design - not the mod or game itself.
Old 05-21-17, 05:35 PM   #1510
tAKticool47
Bosun

fair enough, thank you very very much not only for the info but for the very very prompt reply!

I will have to check that out, thanks!

The thing is, I'd hate to remove the Reinforce Alert and uninstall/reinstall fresh clean copy because all those extra subs alone make it worthwhile, let alone weapons and missions/campaigns/etc. Sucks to have to lose that, I might mess with the mission editor , who knows,

but thank you very much for the info, again sir!
Old 05-21-17, 06:05 PM   #1511
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You're welcome.

But please, don't uninstall RA. I mean, do as you please, but honestly there's no reason to do so, as DW vanilla is just so...naked.
RA does way, way more than just adding more playable platforms, or platforms at all. If you read the readme attached in your install folder, you'll see.

I do criticize the mod for a few things, mainly a rather "dirty/sloppy" way of working on it, the butchered missions, see above, and the lack in quality assurance - but there still is nothing better in the end.
From what I gathered, you just need more experience overall.
While RA does get more difficult (or rather: complex), it is very worth it to stick with it.

Think about it.
But whatever you do, enjoy DW!
Old 06-07-17, 07:25 PM   #1512
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Can someone give me a link to a working download? I can't find one
Old 06-08-17, 10:41 AM   #1513
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Can someone give me a link to a working download? I can't find one
I can't find 1.41 either but I do have the first one 1.0 that will get you started,, it's easy to install in jsme and then go to sub guru and get Red Storm missions,, you get a drivable OHIO that works and a Virginia and many others

https://www.fileplanet.com/209059/do...Compatible-Mod
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 11:28 AM   #1514
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

ReinForce Alert - worldwide discussion link to forum about mod on RedRodgers.
(First post have link to mod).

Patches are here.
(read instruction!)
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 08:05 AM   #1515
red2112
Watch

Downloads: 25
Default RA 1.42 app choice

Greetings skippers!

I just recently installed RA v1.42 to my DW (Steam) and now I have two app icons in my main DW directory to choose from...

- One called "dangerouswaters".

- A second called "DW_Veterans_Edition".

So the question is which one to use and why two different icons/app?

Thanks and ahoy!

PD.: Sorry if this has been asked before...
red2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinforce alert