SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-12, 06:32 PM   #1
Darkhunter
Watch

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default decompress.exe and cmputil.exe

Where do I place these exe's to run them? Or generally speaking how to use this? Doesn't run while in DW folder. Need to modify grp files.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the influx of newb topics but searched the forums to no avail.

Thanks

Edit 1/23/12: Solution found!

Last edited by Darkhunter; 01-23-12 at 10:17 AM.
Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 09:41 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Just going by memory...

These files use calls and one or two arguments.

For Decompress, it's just Decompress [filename], where filename is the .grp file.

For CmpUtil, it's
CmpUtil [target] [filename]
Where target is the destination .grp file and filename is the file you are compressing into the target.

You can write .bat files to string several of these commands together so that you don't need to fuxor with the command prompt all day.
Old 01-22-12, 10:00 PM   #3
Darkhunter
Watch

Hmm, Molon Labe as great as it is to get a response I have to say I'm a complete amateur to all of this...and "programming/coding/whatever" too. I'm not even sure what you just said. If you asked me the difference between C+ and C++ I would say that C++ is plus one times better.
Edit: Actually, that's easy enough. Besides the .bat comment, I understand how to use Cmputil. Now, the purpose of cmputil bewilders me. Unfortunately I'm not sure of the purpose for decompress, either.

Through more forum searching I found the following (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=compress)
"Drop it in your graphics folder.

then open the DOS command line and navigate to your dangerous waters\graphics folder

then type

cmputil 3d alfa.J3D

and cmputil 3d alfa.bmp"

So after looking up how to even use the command prompt (yeah, I'm that bad) I've successfully compressed a .bmp and .jpg image of an F-14 Tomcat. I tried editing the controllers.ini to have the bitmap image show the F-14 bmp but it doesn't show when I select the F-14 platform in-game. I'm literally doing trial and error here since when I hear "opening...compressing...sorting.....done!" I'm thinking "OH FUX YEAH, F-14 TIME." In reality, "compressing" means as much as jubobbles to me. What are jubobbles, you say? No one knows.

By your response I'm compressing the bmp/jpg files into the 3d .grp file. Ok, did that. Is it okay to assume that if I modify the controllers.ini correctly that my image should appear upon selecting the f-14 platform?

Anyways, thanks for the help, but still not sure what to do. If anyone can crash course me---if that's even realistic---then I'm all ears.

Btw, I kinda like the command prompt. Makes me feel like I'm hacking into some hardcore mainframe somewhere. Someone would be like "some fuxing with dat mainframe" and I'd be like "just give me one more minute, loading up the cmputil and wiring $5,000,000,000 to my offshore accounts."

Regards,

Still in the Dark

Edit: Actually, let's reverse engineer this crap. In the following line, where is "P3_US.jpg" located? Or, where can I compress another image to take it's place? Specifically, if I wanted to change the P3's bitmapname to something else, where does BitmapName locate it's source?
[Interface] "p3" 25
[BitmapName] "P3_US.jpg"

Last edited by Darkhunter; 01-22-12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 12:11 AM   #4
Darkhunter
Watch

Alright, so Decompress simply unpacks a .grp file into a folder so you can view all contents. Cmputil packs it into the .grp file. Makes sense.

I just decompressed every .grp file and still couldn't find the appropriate file path (P3_US.jpg). Hmmm.
Old 01-23-12, 12:31 AM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhunter View Post
I just decompressed every .grp file and still couldn't find the appropriate file path (P3_US.jpg). Hmmm.
did you check usnidata.grp? The file in there is P-3_Orion_USA.jpg.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 12:46 AM   #6
Darkhunter
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
did you check usnidata.grp? The file in there is P-3_Orion_USA.jpg.
Yup, but that's the USNI reference picture, I think I need something else. I tried compressing in usnidata and it didn't appear to work either.

I figured out the BitmapName is the picture image used when at the platform selection screen (I.E. during quick mission, campaign, mission select, etc). For some reason the "P3_US.jpg" is hard to find. It's not in the 3d folder or any other .grp folder. Maybe it's named something else. I'm pretty sure if I just change the bitmapname below to the f-14 tomcat.bmp that I have, it would work:

[Interface] "p3" 25
[BitmapName] "P3_US.jpg"
[END]

Can any .bmp be used to represent a platform in the platform selection screen? Or does it have to be a specific file type (j3d)? I'm stumped.

Edit: Getting late, calling it quits for tonight. Will resume tomorrow. Appreciate the help so far guys! Here's a screenshot; if I'm not making myself clear (which I'm probably not) then hopefully this will:

Last edited by Darkhunter; 01-23-12 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 05:46 AM   #7
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I don't know where the platform selection graphics are located.

The 3d.grp is for the models you see in game and in DWedit. Image files inside that archive are skins for the models.

A .bat is just a text file that has the commands you've been entering into the prompt. You just save it as .bat instead of .txt and then you can run it by double-clicking it.
Old 01-23-12, 10:12 AM   #8
Darkhunter
Watch

Np man, I actually found it late last night when I couldn't let it go. Thought about it for a little bit and figured it would be in the interface folder. It's in the shared.grp file of the P3 interface. Switched it over to my new F-14 interface and tested it out, works now

Thanks for the help gents, the explanation of the cmputil and decompress actually proved vital to understanding this. Good to know about the .bat command, too. You da man, molon.

Chances are I will be asking additional questions as I still have a lot ahead of me for this project, but so far so good!
Old 08-15-12, 03:24 PM   #9
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

I am quite new and latecomer to this DW community and have some problem with decompress.exe . I try to decompress by writing command and .grp file name but nothing is happening. I did remember years ago I have used this utility successfully, but not this time. I use win XP.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 09:28 AM   #10
Darkhunter
Watch

It's been really long since I used decompress and cmputil but I might be able to help. What are you trying to do exactly? Change a graphic file to represent something else?
Old 08-16-12, 09:52 AM   #11
Polak2
Weps

Thank you Darkhunter for responding. I have resolved my problem with tools. Apparently for the each of the tool to work the ndx file has to be present in the folder (I have created new separate test folder to play with DW graphics). So now, after I moved all of grp and ndx files together, all is fine and I am able to decompress and compress files.
However.....
It so happened that I have started my play with volcloud.bmp and volclouda.bmp to see if something better could be done with puffy clouds.
I have assumed that those were the right textures and changed them and put back in revised 3d into the game. No luck ... I see still the originals in the clouds. I decompressed my game 3d.grp again to find that the originals were not there but instead there I found my new textures. I am puzzled now. I think that the textures "volcloud" and "volclouda"are those belonging to the clouds, I have both of them amended in my new 3d graphics but cannot see them in the game ....instead the old ones are still showing and they are NOT anymore in my 3d.grp. (no mistake here I spent some time to familiarize myself with the shapes of cloud text to recognize). Puzzled ....
Old 08-17-12, 08:00 AM   #12
Polak2
Weps

Solution to my problem above was to copy 3d.ndx file to game's Graphic folder after I inserted new textures to 3d.grp. I do this in separate folder so perhaps all those problems of not being able to see changed textures were because of that.
Old 06-06-14, 12:07 PM   #13
Polak2
Weps

Trying something with CMPUTIL but despite it was working fine before (year or some ago ) now I get this:

Debug Assertion Failed
Program C:\DW\CMPUTIL.exe
File:dbheap.c
Line:609

Expression_CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)

I think all is as it should be:
I got cmputil.exe 3d.grp and new *.bmp in same folder I am trying insert into 3D with command
cmputil 3d.grp newfile.bmp

but it is not working...Where do I get new cmputil and decompress maybe they got corrupted?
Old 06-06-14, 02:14 PM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

These files are in the DW section of the Downloads library. But I'm pretty sure in guessing they are the same version. I do not know who made them. First guess is Sonalysts.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-14, 06:48 PM   #15
Polak2
Weps

Quote:
I am trying insert into 3D with command
cmputil 3d.grp newfile.bmp
I figured out where I was making a mistake. Target file does not need extension in the command