SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-13, 07:09 AM   #511
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Thanks BigWalleye, but it seems the only options contained in the D/L are for TMO and Stock. Didn't see any reference to RFB. Any info would be helpful, as I'd like to give this a try.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 10:45 AM   #512
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

You are correct - there is no specific setup for RFB in the sh4speech download. Haven't played SH4 in a while, and did the sh4speech installation even further back, so I had to recall what it took. IIRC, the stock sh4speech version was what I started with, since RFB uses the stock keyboard and GUI. You need to modify the command_bar.csv file, because the RFB command bar is different from the stock. Not difficult to do. (I have a modified command_bar.csv I could share if you like.) The dials.csv may have to be modified too, as I think the stock game dial layout changed after the last release of sh4speech. (I have a modified file for that, too.) All of the .csv files are really easy to modify using Excel (ANY version!) and you will quickly want to modify the voice_commands.csv yourself just to add your own personal preferences for orders. Whatever you do, make sure you keep a pristine copy of the original sh4speech download, so you can fall back if you mess anything up.

This stuff is all Erik Knoepfler's work, so I can't upload it. But if you are interested, PM me and I'll get it to you. Meanwhile, you can download Knoepfler's package and at least use all the stock key commands, which, IIRC, are the same for RFB. That'll give you a taste of the system and you can decide if you want to go further.

If you do, I'd be happy to share all of my modified files with you. You would then have a turn-key system you could use immediately. I use a highly personalized commands.cfg keyboard layout, so you would have to drop that into your game with JSGME. Then just set your screen res in the sh4speech - realfleetboat.bat, strap on your headset, and start giving orders.

I also have complete working packages for stock SH4, TMO, and OM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 03:46 PM   #513
Gizmosis
Nub

Downloads: 39

Just having a quick look at this and l still think TeamSpeak is easier to work with.. I've been using it FREE for years now and never found any problems.. All you need is one to host and the rest to join as client.. Anyone need help setting it up you know how to contact me.. I'll be on for the next few hours playing SH4 with my mate in Texas.. I'm in UK.
Gizmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 02:28 PM   #514
Stargazer
A-ganger

Downloads: 32

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but Teamspeak is voice-conferencing amongst people... SHSpeech is voice-control of the SH4 application to reduce button pressing and mouse clicking... I don't see how the two can be interchangable.

For the record, this is a top-mod/utility and totally changes the feel of silent hunter. In my opinion, even more so than any of the super-mods.

Rob.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 10:10 PM   #515
PhilipWebb059
Watch

Downloads: 107
Default A bit confused

Hello gents;
I'm a bit confused with this even though I have d/l ed and installed the needed programs, I still cannot get this to work.
I am using Win8. The windows program sees that I have a mic on but the game is deaf. sh4speech - stock - Shortcut is active but hears zip.
Can anyone assist? Would appreciate it. Thanks
PhilipWebb059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-13, 05:22 PM   #516
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Default hello all

Sorry for my absence. I hope to make time to come back and address questions.

BigWalleye, you have my blessing to make any modifications you've made available to the community via download links in any way you see fit. No reason not to share with all. My only suggestion is to document the changes as best you can. The documentation (and a bit of support) was the reason that shSpeech was able to be ported to SH3 and actually work, and the reason that it continues to have a community of users at all in my absence.

I do sometimes think about it, and the main thing that has always bothered me is that the torpedo code is apparently not great and sometimes gets confused. However these sporadic reports of obvious problems translating your screen resolution into correct coordinates is of great concern as well. It's just been so long since I've even used it that it would all be a re-learning process for me to get up to speed again, let alone dive into the code and actually change anything. But it's not out of the question entirely. I recall that bit of the code that does the resolution translations to be quite simple. I hope to be back soon.
Old 11-28-13, 05:32 PM   #517
minsc_tdp
XO

Default resolution

I took a look at the code that handles all this:

$x1024x768 += $RESX - 1024 if $quadrant =~ /Right/i; # Resolution adjustment
$y1024x768 += $RESY - 768 if $quadrant =~ /LowerLeft/i || $quadrant =~ /LowerRight/i; # Resolution adjustment.

It's important to understand what this means to sort these issues out.

The entire thing is based on a few key assumptions, which if you check them one by one and tell me which one is actually wrong, maybe we can sort this out:
  1. That the X/Y coord of anything as specified in the CSV is valid for a 1024x768 screen
  2. Everything is in one of four quardrants (UpperRight, LowerRight, UpperLeft, LowerLeft) (no need to verify this one, it's fact)
  3. That when you increase the resolution to 1920x1200 (an increase of 896 on the X, and 432 on the Y):
    1. Nothing changes in size
    2. Items in the upper left quadrant do not move.
    3. Items in the upper right quadrant move right by 896 pixels
    4. Items in the lower left quadrant move down by 432 pixels
    5. Items in the lower right quadrant move right by 896 and down by 432

I believe somewhere in here these assumptions are not correct.

My suggestion is to take screenshots at 1024x768 and some other resolution and using Photoshop or similar (The Gimp is free) first verify that one control from each quadrant is where it's supposed to be in 1024x768 screenshot (Photoshop/etc will give you exact x/y when hovering over something)

Then using the maths above determine where the control should be due to changing your resolution in the BAT file to whatever. Verify it with your screenshot.

If someone does all this who is having problems I'm sure somewhere along the way there will be an AHA moment.

I know that some of the mods out there like Trigger Maru and such actually modify the contents of the button bar at the bottom which will totally ruin things, which is why there are separate CSVs for each one. But I don't think I had the TM one ever perfect, and it was quickly updated afterward.

If ever I am unreachable here and anyone is desperate to email me, I'm reachable by email: knepfler at gmail dot com
Old 11-28-13, 05:44 PM   #518
minsc_tdp
XO

Default win8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWebb059 View Post
win8 problems
Running it for the first time ever on Win 8 right now. Fresh OS, never messed with anything speech related re: this, but I do use Teamspeak every day so I know I have a good mic setup.

Play by play:

First two executions failed due to Avast deep-screening the file.
Seems to have resolve on third launch with no changes.
Third launch shows "Listening..." and then launches the windows "Set up speech recognition" dialog
Tried to go through this setup wizard but it defaulted to the incorrect microphone and wouldn't let me change it (GRRRR)
Canceled the dialog. Nothing happens in shSpeech of course.
Shut down shSpeech.
Opened sound control panel, set default microphone to the correct one. Weird that it wasn't correct, haha.
Relaunch shSpeech, get setup dialog again.
Completed the wizard. Chose "disable document review" cuz.. ya no.
Selected "Manual Activation" mode because I like buttons.
Selected "Run Speech Recognition at Startup"
Cute widget appears at top of screen. Says "Off"
I press mic button, it says "Listening". Great.
I speak a command and look at the shSpeech window, and it recognized it.

So it seems as easy as that. On top of that I can say "close window" and it will close applications. I wish I knew how to make it listen, while ignoring commands like those. Just gotta speak carefully and not say things like "minimize"

So, PhilipWebb, I think the key thing is to first get that core windows behavior working. If you can say things like "minimize" or "close window" and it works then shSpeech should also work.

edit: I told it to stop listening, then started again. Suddenly it refused to accept any windows command. Launching shSpeech caused speech recognition to crash. The whole speech rec on win8 seems a bit buggy. But I might just need to reboot.
Old 02-14-14, 10:33 PM   #519
larrygene
Watch

Downloads: 377
Default I Need HELP!!!

I don't know much about computers but to play games on them.I have silent hunter 4 and would like to get the voice thing working I have the python and perl but don't know where to put it. I bought silent from steam when I open the speech file it tells me 43 files r not showing. none of the programs that do open have any kind of run to them or set up could it be in one of the 43 that didn't open? I need some professional help here guys. how do I open the 43 that r not shown?

any kind of reply would really help

thx larry
larrygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 09:57 AM   #520
tomarse
Nub

Downloads: 2
Default Windows 7 and Speech recognition

For general info. I've just recently restarted using SH4 Speech and Win7 has the Speech recognition pop-up. Once I realized that the pop-up didn't interfere with SH4 Speech I just made sure it was on in the background and the game ran with no problem.
I did notice that a couple of windows were open when I closed the game so not only is the game working but due to the Speech widget some windows applications can be activated "behind the scenes" while playing.
It hasn't hurt things so far.

At Larrygene: which Speech files are you referring to? Your SH4Speech files should go in your SH4 main folder.
If you run SH4.bat you should see a small black (DOS) screen ending with the word "Listening......" That means that SH4Speech is in fact working BUT it still has to be in the proper folder.
tomarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 10:33 AM   #521
messageboy101
Engineer

Downloads: 429

I have tried this with SH4 stock and TMO but does it also work with UBM?

Greets liam
messageboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 01:25 AM   #522
SubSimTrooper
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

I played around with this for a couple hours; even being completely computer illiterate I was able to get it running (unlike every other mod I've tried ).
This is probably the coolest thing for SH4, ever, period!!! Thank you very much for putting this together!!!!

I did find a few small bugs, nothing major; for example, accessing the Damage Management screen was impossible as the "SH4 mouse arrow" was suddenly overlaid with the "white, windows mouse arrow" when I tried to click on that tab. Next time I'm playing I'll keep a pen and pad and write them down.

Again, awesome job!!

Airborne, All the Way!

Steam ID: Docwhatshisface

SubSimTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 11:53 AM   #523
Devil_dog1975
Watch

Downloads: 24

This just made the game a million times better. Thank you soo much sir.
Old 09-18-14, 06:18 AM   #524
boldflavor
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 34
Default Suggestion for people using 1920x1080

For me the evasive left button was being pressed instead of the "depth to keel" or it was ordering periscope depth. There's a little program called "Cursor Position" that shows you exact position of the cursor at all times in a little window. You run the game and stop your mouse on the problem button, then alt-tab out and all the while, being very careful not to move the mouse. Now you have exact x, y numbers to input into the command_bar file for any resolution.
boldflavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 09:53 AM   #525
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Aboard

boldflavor!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote