SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-18, 03:19 PM   #6496
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, thanks. If you did it from the Career Start menu, then it should have been June 6th, 1943, but the boat did not work for you? You just went to a blank screen when leaving on patrol?

CTD when leaving on patrol.
and...i could swear that the start date was in March but i am not going to quibble about it.
if i had a different setup for my system i would load a separate copy of SH4 and try it but i have only one Windows domain and i do not want want to support multiple domains anymore. Nope. Uh'huh. it's not going to happen. that ship has sailed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 12:21 PM   #6497
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It could have been a March start, if you were upgraded from a Tambor / Gar or Gato. If it was a March start, or a June of 1943, either one should have assigned you a mission without problem. I'm not certain of the behavior if it would have assigned it in January.

You don't need another Windows domain to have multiple licensed copies of SH4 on your machine. You make a copy of a fresh install of the game, rename it, and then mod that. It ~has~ to be a fresh install to begin with, that has not been played. You could use Rockin Robbins SH 4 Corruption Management System to help with the chore, or do similar yourself with an archive manager such as 7zip. You would then use MultiSH4 from inside your new copy, and create a new Save game folder. For Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, I used FRU, since I already have a regular Fall of the Rising Sun install that is FRS. I used GFO for Game Fixes Only, TMO for Trigger Maru, Overhauled, etc... That is what keeps your separate installs segregated and free of corruption...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 02:07 PM   #6498
YonMaruIchi
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

I'm getting a long string of windows saying "File not found: blah" and then it crashes whenever the loading bar reaches 100% when I start the game. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, didn't work, so I uninstalled, deleted all the files in steam related to SH4 including the mod, restarted my computer and redownloaded everything and still no dice. Anyone know what the reason might be?

Edit: Problem fixed, in reinstalling SH4 I assumed I didn't have to reinstall the U-Boat missions and when I tried that it worked. I guess if you don't do that it actually doesn't install as 1.5.

P.S. I P Overboard?

Last edited by YonMaruIchi; 08-21-18 at 02:40 PM.
YonMaruIchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 04:48 PM   #6499
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonMaruIchi View Post
P.S. I P Overboard?
you laugh but it saves having to run down and use the head!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 09:36 PM   #6500
propbeanie

...and maybe use incorrect procedure when "flushing"... literally hitting the ceiling... Who needs that? So "Overboard" it is, whenever possible. Just be certain that the "P" doesn't stand for "Person"...

Old 08-23-18, 05:29 AM   #6501
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

Just a report :

Win10
I5 8400 6core
16gb of DDR3200mhz
SSD all the way
1070 OC 8gb

Steam sh 4 plus this mod from thread (0.71)and 4GB fix

= awsome, random traffic etc makes things really fresh , that feeling that you don’t know what is behind next island is nice !!

Best mod of SH4 so far (imho)

Only problem is bit X-tray vision planes and fighters

But i wait bit for next patch, will make planes bit more realistic or belivable ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 09:31 AM   #6502
propbeanie

Hopefully, we will have the next version in a matter of days. So far, everything I've noodled with is good, though I'll have more Campaign changes next round. The airplanes are definitely more 'realistic' with their vision, and with their numbers. Just remember though that a submarine was / is visible at shallow depths, so if you happen to cruise along at PD and an airplane flies over you, you won't see him (until you emergency blow to keep from sinking), but he will see you... - Just a few more tweaks & twiddles, have everyone sign-off on it, and we'll be there! My fingers are crossed! (again)

Old 08-23-18, 09:57 AM   #6503
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

Yep, i find water perfect , some mods make it too murky. Maybe bit more green tone would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 10:28 AM   #6504
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Worrisome New Issue

Completed a successful patrol in Balao to Area F6, having left Perth-Fremantle on 4/27/44 and accumulating some 65,000 tons of shipping.

After passing out promotions and awards, and adding the newly available twin 40mm AA guns plus a new stern mounted 5.25" deck gun, I took a routine Save as I always do, and then loaded the Save game. I do that because it allows me to be secure in the knowledge that my last save before starting a new patrol was a good save. It's never given me a problem. I consider it insurance.

I received orders for next patrol on June 13, 1944 to proceed to Area F1 and then standby for further orders. Departure date was 7/3/1944.

Hit the Start (from outside the harbor) button, only to see the game crash to a black screen after the loading bar moves about 3/4" from the left!

Went back to the office and restored the single barrel 40 mm AA guns, and the 4.5" deck gun, and restarted the mission.

Game crashed to desktop after loading bar moves about 3/4" from the left.

It appears I am unable to run this mission. Has anyone else gone beyond this date from a 12/8/31 career start?

I was able to go back to the previous patrol (assigned to Area F1) and load it successfully. But not the next one! I'm at a dead stop now.

My system was as clean as I can get it. After rechecking LAA, running the Game Booster, setting the Norton to run in Silent Mode (as I always do), I even went through the list of processes and closed out the Punkbusters that autoload, and disconnected my pc from the network. Same results upon trying to run the next patrol. It's not my machine. When I tried the reload of the previous patrol, I had Everything running (internet, punkbusters, Norton, etc.). The game and the mission loaded perfectly.

Can anyone replicate this? I know it's hard to do because each player's career history will be different, and who knows what will affect the next patrol. But it may be there is some conflict in the files that would case an abort.

I think it's worth looking into, but beyond my skill sets.

Thanks!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 11:33 AM   #6505
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I received orders for next patrol on June 13, 1944 to proceed to Area F1 and then standby for further orders. Departure date was 7/3/1944...
That's where the problem is, the mission itself, it sounds like. Let me see what I can find, and we'll pause the build process if I can find it and fix it... Thanks for the report!

Edit: Well... I'm still looking, though I've run out of obvious files to check in the campaign... Your assignment would have have been to the Northern stretches of the Sulu Sea, either just south of Mindoro (not really in the Sulu Sea) in Sink Philippines 06, or just below that in the Sink Sulu 05 missions. Both look fine. You are in the 44a layer, so I went through all of those, and all of the "full-time" files, and the "battle" files, with no issues thus far. There are a few more tools I can use and get in close on the details, so that's where I'm headed next. Just to double-check, any other mods besides FotRSU v0.71? When did you get the Balao boat?? The log on the desktop in the Capain's Office should notate that...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-23-18 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Initial Findings...
Old 08-23-18, 01:20 PM   #6506
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
That's where the problem is, the mission itself, it sounds like. Let me see what I can find, and we'll pause the build process if I can find it and fix it... Thanks for the report!

Edit: Well... I'm still looking, though I've run out of obvious files to check in the campaign... Your assignment would have have been to the Northern stretches of the Sulu Sea, either just south of Mindoro (not really in the Sulu Sea) in Sink Philippines 06, or just below that in the Sink Sulu 05 missions. Both look fine. You are in the 44a layer, so I went through all of those, and all of the "full-time" files, and the "battle" files, with no issues thus far. There are a few more tools I can use and get in close on the details, so that's where I'm headed next. Just to double-check, any other mods besides FotRSU v0.71? When did you get the Balao boat?? The log on the desktop in the Capain's Office should notate that...
I have been running the following mods since v061:
FOTARSU Unmark Removal (gets rid of the my sub marker) and
Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visibility (self explanatory)

I received the offer for a new boat upon arrival into Brisbane on 12/03/1942, and was teleported and reassigned to Pearl Harbor that same day to receive command of USS Balao (SS-285). Been with her ever since that date.

Old 08-23-18, 01:23 PM   #6507
Squashman
Swabbie

Downloads: 536
Icon14 Japanese torpedoes

Hi to the FOTRS development team
I would first like to thank you all for this magnificent work - the sheer scope of the submarine, surface and air components is nothing short of outstanding.
I am particularly interested in producing missions that depict historically accurate naval actions. Now with the large range of warships available in FOTRS, this has become so much easier.
Currently I am trying to make the Naval Battles of the Guadalcanal Campaign:-
The Battle of Savo Island
The Battle of Cape Esperance
The First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Second naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Battle of Tassafaronga

The game AI actually copes quite well with the demands of the surface ship tracks as they manoeuver within the historical requirements for the tactics of the battles.
One thing, however, is currently hard to incorporate and that is the range at which Japanese torpedoes are fired.
As you are no doubt aware, it was the long range salvoes of Japanese Long Lances that was most often so devastating for the US cruisers.

Would it therefore be possible to produce a mod that could variably increase the maximum firing range of Japanese (or all) AI from its current 1,400 yds up to say 4,000 to 6,000 yds. Alternatively is there a way a player can do this themselves, by altering the files of individual AI units?
Very best wishes to all

Last edited by Squashman; 08-23-18 at 01:36 PM.
Squashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 02:19 PM   #6508
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I have been running the following mods since v061:
FOTARSU Unmark Removal (gets rid of the my sub marker) and
Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visibility (self explanatory)

I received the offer for a new boat upon arrival into Brisbane on 12/03/1942, and was teleported and reassigned to Pearl Harbor that same day to receive command of USS Balao (SS-285). Been with her ever since that date.
... the early Balao Bug (maybe) rises its noggin above the horizon just enough for us to see its forehead maybe... I have completed Round 2 of testing files, and still no issues found. When you got the Balao boat originally, did it assign you a Pearl mission, and then have you go back to Fremantle, or did it give you a Fremantle mission, and have you go back to Fremantle? Or something else?

Now, in v0.71, we were attempting to limit the Balao from being assigned early, but it came never-the-less. We apparently cannot control the thing, in spite of the fact that the game does not show it (even in stock) as being available for public use prior to February of 1943, and at that, only from Mare (Treasure) Island. Pearl would be March 1, 1943, and Fremantle on July 1, 1943...

Can you look in your log, and tell what date it was that you left Pearl with the Balao, and do you know what that first assignment was? Pearl boats look to have enough mission assignments, while Fremantle-stationed Balao boats only have (had) five, which would then (in theory) repeat area assignments, and give the player other missions there not done yet. Generally speaking though, you would end up with a "Mission Objective not found" error, or repeating East China Sea area missions if it ran out of "chores" for you and your crew...

Does the "Lite Fog" seem to work OK, or do you get heavy fog? What is the enemy AI Visual like in it? As a side note, that overwrites the FotRSU scene.dat file, and has a few changes in it, which could well influence more than you realize, besides just the "fog" dds file. Make a back-up copy of your Save game folder, and then try backing off the "Lite Fog & 300' Visibility" mod, and see if that mission might possibly run - though it's liable to trash everything until you start a new career, or put everything back...

Old 08-23-18, 02:31 PM   #6509
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
Hi to the FOTRS development team
I would first like to thank you all for this magnificent work - the sheer scope of the submarine, surface and air components is nothing short of outstanding.
I am particularly interested in producing missions that depict historically accurate naval actions. Now with the large range of warships available in FOTRS, this has become so much easier.
Currently I am trying to make the Naval Battles of the Guadalcanal Campaign:-
The Battle of Savo Island
The Battle of Cape Esperance
The First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Second naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Battle of Tassafaronga

The game AI actually copes quite well with the demands of the surface ship tracks as they manoeuver within the historical requirements for the tactics of the battles.
One thing, however, is currently hard to incorporate and that is the range at which Japanese torpedoes are fired.
As you are no doubt aware, it was the long range salvoes of Japanese Long Lances that was most often so devastating for the US cruisers.

Would it therefore be possible to produce a mod that could variably increase the maximum firing range of Japanese (or all) AI from its current 1,400 yds up to say 4,000 to 6,000 yds. Alternatively is there a way a player can do this themselves, by altering the files of individual AI units?
Very best wishes to all
The info is not at my fingertips, but it is discussed several (dozen??) pages back in this thread about how it was done for v0.71. You can also look at the "guns" used on the ships and as to the "why". The problem with the torps is the lack of any semblence of accuracy with them. When the torpedoes are shot, they are aiming for where the target is, ~not~ where it will be. Therefore, FotRSU has the range moved in much closer. There are all sorts of discussions on the actual "effectiveness" of the Long Lance, and from all indications, the Guadalcanal area was "special" in that regard, due to the general lack of maneuverability among the islands (one reason carriers weren't in there too often). In other areas, the "hit" percentage was quite low for the Long Lance - in fact, inflicting damage on their fellow sailors at a higher percentage than the enemy at times. While they definitely influenced the outcome of most of the major battles in the Guadalcanal area, it is extremely difficult to get the AI and the torpedoes in the game to co-operate with you. I would imagine that this could be one reason the devs seemed to have made some of the Japanese ships "stronger" than they actually were, and the USN ships weaker, so that the battle outcomes would "balance out" overall... I'll say this (again), if you can get the torpedoes to "lead" a target, like a torpedoman had actually "aimed" it and then shot it, you would be a most famous modder, known the world over...

Edit: OK, found the release notes, back before P400 ( ) http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...85#post2554685

I was thinking that CapnScurvy had an excellent write-up on the torps just before that, but I haven't found it yet...

2nd Edit: OK, much further back than I thought: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39#post2526839 post 5463 for the AI subs and torpedoes, and the further down on that page is Post 5475 with the ships. The pictures are missing, so that might be why I can't find the other one with the gun discussion, along with the change in range used... If there aren't pictures, I kinda get glassy-eyed and doze... Somewhere between those points is the post I'm thinking of (I think - therefore I am, I think)...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-23-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Release Notes Found...
Old 08-23-18, 03:12 PM   #6510
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

Can you look in your log, and tell what date it was that you left Pearl with the Balao, and do you know what that first assignment was? Pearl boats look to have enough mission assignments, while Fremantle-stationed Balao boats only have (had) five, which would then (in theory) repeat area assignments, and give the player other missions there not done yet. Generally speaking though, you would end up with a "Mission Objective not found" error, or repeating East China Sea area missions if it ran out of "chores" for you and your crew...

Does the "Lite Fog" seem to work OK, or do you get heavy fog? What is the enemy AI Visual like in it? As a side note, that overwrites the FotRSU scene.dat file, and has a few changes in it, which could well influence more than you realize, besides just the "fog" dds file. Make a back-up copy of your Save game folder, and then try backing off the "Lite Fog & 300' Visibility" mod, and see if that mission might possibly run - though it's liable to trash everything until you start a new career, or put everything back...
As I said, I arrived at PH on 12/3/42. Left PH on 12/23/42 for Area A2 to await further orders. Returned to PH 2/21/43.
Next patrol left PH 3/13 for delivery of agent to Akkeshi, Hokkaido. Patrol ended 4/9/43;
Transferred to Midway 4/9
Left Midway for Area Abridge on 4/23, returning there on 5/28
Left Midway for Area 4 on 6/16/43, returning on 7/14/43
Transferred to Asiatic Fleet (Perth-Fremantle) on 7/15/43
Ran 6 successful patrols out of P-F until hitting the fatal one on 6/13/44.

Have never noticed a problem with the Lite Fog mod; sometimes the fog makes no difference. Visibility is usually down to 300-400 yards at best when fog is heavy, even with the mod. What I really like about it is the underwater visibility - maybe a cheat of sorts, but it does make it easier using the external camera to watch as escorts (and depth bombs) approach, although the tougher escorts under v071 seem to kick the cans out farther and are much harder to evade.

I will try to start the mission again without the mod and report back.

UPDATE: Removing the Lite Fog etc. mod had no effect. Game crashed after launching the mission, same as before.