SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-19, 03:45 PM   #16
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Due to the Beta NDA still being in force- I cant really go in to detail. but to be honest you shouldn't have to wait long for more info now.
I can tell you though that the captain doesn't run around the boat exactly.
you can take manual first person control of any officer or captain and do it that way if you want, but its not very efficient and its certainly not mandatory, ie, not really how the game is intended to be played for the most part.
You are supposed to assign officers and sailors to certain tasks via crew management.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19, 05:15 PM   #17
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Due to the Beta NDA still being in force- I cant really go in to detail. but to be honest you shouldn't have to wait long for more info now.
I can tell you though that the captain doesn't run around the boat exactly.
you can take manual first person control of any officer or captain and do it that way if you want, but its not very efficient and its certainly not mandatory, ie, not really how the game is intended to be played for the most part.
You are supposed to assign officers and sailors to certain tasks via crew management.
Thanks for the limited info that you can share. An NDA and no marketing is an interesting way to build hype for a video game, but that’s another conversation.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 07:42 PM   #18
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges View Post
Thanks for the limited info that you can share. An NDA and no marketing is an interesting way to build hype for a video game, but that’s another conversation.
i guess they basically want to limit what 3rd parties show from the game until its in a state where they are happy and confident to have them to do this.
You don't want a bunch of You tubers just giggling /cursing at all your bugs and glitches, that's not too good for PR.
At the same time, i know what you mean, too much radio silence is not good either, with no hype train material, people stop talking about it and wonder off else where.

There should be some noticeable movement on both the final beta update (before EA) and new video/marketing material this coming week. (mid week hopefully)
If there is one thing I've learned about Nihilcat, when he is quiet, it means hes working like crazy.
Old 03-06-19, 09:50 AM   #19
Ernstww
Mate

Downloads: 2

It would probably go faster if I stopped making esthetic suggestions to nihilcat for font changes. LOL
Old 03-07-19, 05:34 PM   #20
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernstww View Post
It would probably go faster if I stopped making esthetic suggestions to nihilcat for font changes. LOL
Lol proabably -
Good old Nihilcat, top bloke, hats off to him.
Old 03-10-19, 09:05 AM   #21
Frank Ravelli
Sailor man

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 1

Good thread. There was just one thing I needed to know about this game and it´s whether the devs were in contact with subsim vets to get suggestions. The steam thread linked in the op clarified it extensively.

I´ve been keeping an eye on this game and I am happy to see it going on.
Frank Ravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 08:22 AM   #22
brian4s
Swabbie

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
At the moment, the side cutaway is something you must use, its a core mechanic used for issuing orders for the crew. You can use first person instead, But that can take longer to get things done and you must run around the part of the boat needed to find the right post or equipment.

People Use the term 'Arcade' very loosely around here, but I can tell you that having played it, the game is certainly not 'arcade' but nor is it a sim in the traditional sense. its in a grey area, its very intricate and rather complicated to control the boat about 50% UI and 50% crew management (cut away) or by assuming a crew member in First person, right now i'd say the learning curb is as about steep as Silent Hunter overall, though its not the same aspects of control that are tricky to master. In terms of overall control of the boat, *navigation, depth keeping etc) Silent hunter is actually the more simplified of the two.

Your average casual gamer would probably not have the stamina for Uboat, the game is very tough currently. in the Beta, people have struggled to stay a live for one patrol.
Sounds and looks like B-17 the Mighty 8th the way the crew management and cutaways work. I'll be checking this game out Friday, thanks!
brian4s is offline   Reply With Quote