SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-19, 03:24 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I cannot find my v1.01 (or whatever it was) that I got Spring 2007, but I never had issues with installing the v1.4 update on top of it, but of course, that was the Windows XP days... Anyway, one thing to do is to right-click your SH4.exe file, left-click "properties" on the menu, and see if it is set to "Read-only" under the attributes section on the "General" tab. If there is a check mark in the box, then that's the issue. OH! Don't forget to right-click the update file, and choose "Run as administrator"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 07:20 AM   #17
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

This is really weird. I had the idea of replacing the display cable (4K 28 inch monitor) with the HGMI cable. And installed SH4 from disk. The sim loaded but at massively corrupt graphics. The screen was so big half the thing was missing. After playing around with the graphics, it still would not sit right, so in desperation, I replaced the display port cable and did a compat check with troubleshooter. It ran the game but with the icons super small, I could hardly see them. So I played around with the graphics again and the troubleshooter and finally got a working model. I have no idea what I did that worked, but even though screen graphics are not 'quite' what I want, I can live with it I suppose. Now, to find the mods again
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 08:05 AM   #18
propbeanie

What is the "Native" resolution of the monitor - 3840x2160? I have a 27" 1080p monitor that's running at 1920x1080, and I have no issues. If I look in the "Resolution" settings for Windows, it will show "1920x1080 (recommended)". You want to use the "recommended" setting, if you aren't. In the game itself, at the main menu, "Options" menu choice, then "Graphic Settings" menu choice in there, and finally, the "Game Resolution" drop-down box. Toward the bottom of the drop-down list might be a setting that matches your monitor and Windows Display settings. In my case, I had to choose "1920x1080 60Hz", even though my monitor runs at 40Hz. Even if you get really close, you might have to experiment with the "Display Scaling on high DPI settings" on the "Compatibility" tab of the "Properties" dialog for the SH4.exe file, as described above. If you can't exactly match the 3840x2160, choose a 16:9 setting, such as 1920x1080 (1/2 resolution). You might still have to experiment with the "high DPI" settings... No matter what though, you might have to change your Windows Display settings to get larger icons for your desktop, and in the game, you might have to use a mod that gives you larger dials. I know I do... oldmanitis...

btw, the HDMI cable on my set-up worked fine, and I got sound through the monitor speakers also, which irritated the ~fire~ out of my wife... "Turn that thing DOWN!"

Old 06-16-19, 08:23 AM   #19
Red Devil
The Old Man

the res is 3840 (recommended). The sound is patched into my new hearing aids (I have 40% loss in ears). I also have external speakers. The sim opens with mismatched opening graphics and when I actually set sail, the images are perfect (1.4 patch added, disk is 1.3). Game is good at that stage. Did run out and attacked 2 ships with torps and gunfire; seems ok, graphics high. I will try the 1920 x 1080.

edit. on your setting its great. Many thanks, delighted to be setting sail again.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-16-19, 08:38 AM   #20
propbeanie

If you get a resolution "switch" as the game is loading, then that is the Game, Options, Graphic Settings, Game Resolution not matching Windows settings. Once the screen loads, it doesn't care 'bout no shtinking Windows...

Old 06-16-19, 10:00 AM   #21
Red Devil
The Old Man

my problem is crap memory. I have used all fixes for diff things in the past, but when something comes up, cant remember.

>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 06-16-19, 10:57 AM   #22
propbeanie

Yeah, and folks worry about their computer memory...

Old 06-17-19, 11:27 AM   #23
Red Devil
The Old Man

Off and on I have been running SH4 and it seems to be that the graphics have actually improved. This is with your recommended settings. I am wondering also if my problems were possibly due to the monitor too. It was on display port (4k); then briefly on HGMI then back to DP, which may have jogged the monitor into actually doing something itself??? One of lifes eternal mysteries
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk