SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-19, 06:45 PM   #1
sfjay11
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Malfunction of knots indicator

Greetings fellow submariners. I’ve just started playing SH4 Gold (ver 1.5?) and noticed in that the gauge on the bulkhead in the control room of the Porpoise never registers more than about 5 knots despite being at flank speed on surface. The gauge in the sonar/radar room displays the speed in knots correctly. Has anyone noticed this discrepancy? This is happening in the navigation training exercise. I have not installed any mods. Win 10 Pro. Thanks in advance for any advice.
sfjay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 07:51 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

sfjay11 !

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 08:43 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First of all sfjay11, as Aktungbby says: "Welcome Aboard!"

Second of all, I had never noticed that in Stock SH4 before, but it does the same on my computer. Probably not desired behavior, but it does do that. Here is Ahead Standard (note that I changed the telegraph to the knot gauge):

Notice the bulkhead gauge reading about 4 knots, but the game's telegraph reads a pinch over 15 knots.

Here is the same boat at Ahead Flank:

The bulkhead gauge did move to 5 knots now...

Here are the gauges near the rear of the compartment:

Everything (except the clock) is at 12 O'Clock, and then they all "spike" up like this at the same time...

Now, in Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod (FotRSU - shameless plug), same boat, same scenario, same gauges at All Stop:

And same mod, at Ahead Standard:

While the speed attained is different from Stock at the same telegraph setting, notice that the bulkhead gauge agrees with the telegraphs's speed.

Another mod plug, while I waited for Ahead Flank to get up to speed:

Yes, I are tall...

Here is Ahead Flank in FotRSU:

Both gauges agree. Notice also the forward bulkhead's RPM gauges in FotRSU as compared to Stock...

And the gauges at the other end of the room:

I am definitely not sure if these work correctly, since there are still several that "jump" at the same time, to the same level, but at least they all don't do it...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 09:20 PM   #4
sfjay11
Nub

Downloads: 3
SHO Interesting

Thanks for making me feel welcome! The discrepancy in the gauges isn’t really a bother. At some point I will add some mods to the game but for now I want to see what exactly I find that could do with enhancements. My father served aboard the Greenling SS-213 and Albacore SS-218 as torpedoman 1c during WW2 so I’ve always been interested in undersea warfare. He told me some very interesting stories concerning the Mk 14 torpedoes and some of the things they did unofficially to improve them before the Navy finally fixed them. Like going to war with a wooden rifle, not a good thing. Thanks for your help and advice. Good hunting
sfjay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 04:58 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Confirmed, just ran a test in a stock 1.4 game, pit log in the control room on PORPOISE maxes out at 5 knots, the one in the conning tower works correctly. Ran through the others, S class, SALMON and SARGO are fine in both, TAMBOR GAR GATO and BALAO have blank gauges in the control tower but the pit log in the control rooms work correctly. Odd I never noticed that about the PORPOISE, I've had the GATO conning tower gauges fixed for so long in my main copy of the game I forget how that was fixed.

Anyone from FotRSU care to share how PORPOISE was fixed?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 05:04 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I don't think we had to "fix" it. I have not gotten my TMO out to see if it works correctly in it, but FotRSU is based on TMO v1.7. Maybe CapnScurvy will come along and comment...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 08:35 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfjay11 View Post
My father served aboard the Greenling SS-213 and Albacore SS-218 as torpedoman 1c during WW2 so I’ve always been interested in undersea warfare. He told me some very interesting stories concerning the Mk 14 torpedoes and some of the things they did unofficially to improve them before the Navy finally fixed them.
That is just fantastic! We have a thread in the SH5 forums about introducing yourself. Or you can go to General Topics. We've had many discussions and read many books about the Mk 14s, and would love to hear his stories.

By the way, what part of SoCal are you from? I live in Utah now but grew up in Redondo Beach.