Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-19, 03:42 PM   #1
StanleyD
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Some questions

Hello all!

Is there somewhere i can read what and when tech/equipment unlock?

How does the Ai handle air patrols? Is there a mechanic that airbases are informed of whereabouts and hunt you or does the game just spawn randomly aircraft in your vicinity?

How are ships/battleships/aircarriers are handled? Are they persistent on the map on fixed positions/patrols?

When i invade harbors the ai seems dead! Its like shooting fish in a barrel. Not even parked destroyers make a move. Is this normal?

Is there somewhere information about values and percentages that skill upgrades affect?

Giving medals to crew, does this affect them anyway other than morale?

Thank you in advance
StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 05:31 PM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyD View Post
How does the Ai handle air patrols? Is there a mechanic that airbases are informed of whereabouts and hunt you or does the game just spawn randomly aircraft in your vicinity?

When i invade harbors the ai seems dead! Its like shooting fish in a barrel. Not even parked destroyers make a move. Is this normal?
I don't know how it works in stock, in TWoS (or any other pack using IRAI mod) airbases within range can be alerted when someone detects you and reports it, and will launch airstrikes as a result. The same applies for warships btw, a lonely steamer sending a distress call might bring destroyers upon you if they happen to be close enough for intercept.

As for harbors, SH5 AI doesn't handle land well from what I've heard and this causes AI ships to behave weirdly in ports. Another issue might be that ships you refer to are "docked" (anchored, no steam, most of crew on port leave, ship not fit for action) which makes AI inactive.

Last edited by kapuhy; 05-10-19 at 05:39 PM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 07:39 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

For harbor raids: It's adviced to only do the scripted raids that appear as missions on the map (for example Scapa Flow), else stay away from ports because the AI is not intented to combat and track you there, so its performance will be more than bad. Going into ports could even mess-up your campaign in that you may not encounter anymore traffic.

Often use 'Send Contact Report' when you encounter enemy assets (also aircrafts), so the friendly ones have a chance to join the battle which they will do sometimes. You can check the airplane ranges by clicking airports on the map. Other times you are asked to wait for re-inforcements to arrive (wolfpack AI subs) in the case of a convoy.
The downside of using your radio is that enemy is listening too and will certainly send units to your location, so keep attention. Best place to observe this is in the 1st campaign chapter, Coastal Waters, often I don't need to fire a single torpedo, the german planes will do all the job if I send a contact report.

The OH2 campaign included in WoS has a serie of historical additions to the stock game, so there is more traffic in appropriate locations at a specific date to simulate historical events. You will even see units fighting each other.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-10-19 at 07:55 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote