SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-18, 06:00 AM   #31
Christopher Snow
Engineer

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default So I was thinking about why I left...

...and I'm pretty sure it was some political issue or battle...

...so I will be avoiding those. Still primarily a sim-racer, but I'm getting older, have some body breakdown issues (half ruptured left achilles which was missed a couple years back and which may not be repairable now), so I'm back to...the more intellectual pursuits. I could still walk 360 around a scope, so, I'll gradually get myself back in the saddle.

Feeling like I want to try SH4, even though I also own SH5--I've at least seen a convoy thru the scope with SH4, but it was a year or more back.

I happen to have a 43" 4K monitor here in front of a standing desk( maybe 15" from my glasses, so it's a BIG picture), recommended to me by a Texas lawyer who was STILL using such rig even into his nineties...his actually was twelve feet long and he moved between four of them along his..."bar." Astounding old gent, and STILL in practice even at that age. I only have this one though, and the days when I used to plot with a protractor, ruler and calculator across the face of a 21"CRT are long gone now. I don't really want to wear the face of this flatscreen out either...so do we have usable "virtual" tools like these in SH4 or SH5?

I will certainly ask too in those subforums, but if anyone has a good kickoff with mods, tools, etc for SH4, I'm inclined to start there.

Thanks once again for everyone's help getting me back in my old pants!

Last edited by Christopher Snow; 10-02-18 at 06:30 AM.
Christopher Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 06:35 AM   #32
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

In terms of SH4, I can certainly help you.
For example, you could take a look at my mod compilation, it's a big carefree pack, which is relatively easy to install, and the player can gradually adjust the level of difficulty.
If interested, just click on my signature below.

Then there's the great Mod Forts Ultimate, which is still in development (beta status).
Upon completion of FortsU, however, this will be the authoritative Giga mod for SH4 in the Pacific Theater.

Further general SH4 technical support from THEBERBSTER can be found here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

Have fun with the reading.
Hope this helps you a little further.

Old 10-02-18, 06:42 AM   #33
Christopher Snow
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
In terms of SH4, I can certainly help you.
For example, you could take a look at my mod compilation, it's a big carefree pack, which is relatively easy to install, and the player can gradually adjust the level of difficulty.
If interested, just click on my signature below.

Then there's the great Mod Forts Ultimate, which is still in development (beta status).
Upon completion of FortsU, however, this will be the authoritative Giga mod for SH4 in the Pacific Theater.

Further general SH4 technical support from THEBERBSTER can be found here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

Have fun with the reading.
Hope this helps you a little further.

Thanks! I've got to get a couple more hours in the sack (just got this done when I woke up and couldn't sleep), but I've just booked your page and will work my way through it. I notice I'd already DL'ed at least one mod even before you posted this.

Last edited by Christopher Snow; 10-02-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 09:06 AM   #34
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Now that you've emerged like a shimmering butterfly, let me also welcome you in your new (old) incarnation, Christopher Snow

Looks as though you've landed on your feet too, with these lovely mod-packs from my friend Bleiente... give me SH3 and 4 any day

Anyway, don't be a stranger, mate... glad I could help
Old 10-04-18, 08:47 AM   #35
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

To get his old name back at subsim was probably his last wish and now he went to heaven?!?

Does anyone want nuts...

Last edited by Bleiente; 10-04-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 03:38 PM   #36
Christopher Snow
Engineer

The odds of me ending up in heaven are pretty long.
Old 10-04-18, 03:53 PM   #37
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I just wanted to wake you up...

Fancy cake?
Old 10-04-18, 04:34 PM   #38
Christopher Snow
Engineer

Oh, I'm awake, but it's gonna take me some time yet to get even remotely back up to speed. It's really my own evening project now that the demands of good weather are starting to dwindle (and into the winter too, now that I probably can't ski anymore).

This wireless keyboard, for example is entirely unusable in even a simulated war-fighting situation. Horrible lag at times, it misses characters constantly...and yet the receiver itself is located just five feet away atop the computer case. The wireless mouse two feet further away is just fine.

So I bought a replacement wired keyboard instead...

...and (of COURSE!) the USB cable is about four feet too short to put it into service. I could tell you more about my sim-and-gaming rig, but in the end it's just up to me to sort out the problems and the configuration anyway...
...and I don't want to "re-start" out by being a crushing bore.
Old 10-04-18, 04:55 PM   #39
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Mhmm ... I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but have no problems.

But I see, the shortcomings of technology make you totally finished... a new way of revitalizing body and mind.

Old 10-04-18, 06:21 PM   #40
Christopher Snow
Engineer

My particular issue ATM is deciding on which side of a doorway to semi-permanently configure the PC. Right now I have to physically disconnect the tower and move it (I know it's always said no-one will do that more than a few times, but I'm the exception to the rule--still, it's not easy).

Either way, I'll be crossing quite a few cables, but those can be located underneath a "pseudo door threshold," and my inclination now is to keep the PC located near the 43" display (on the command station side) rather than on the sim-racing side.

This is not a view of my actual sim-racing rig, but mine is VERY similar (mine is actual lifesize, while this one is about 3/4), including the cutout of the lower center of the screen so that the legs can project through and onto the pedals:

Immersive, but as you can also see, entirely impractical for subsimming, as 1/6th of the screen is entirely invisible/gone.

Besides, a sub skipper stands anyway.

The PC is entirely adequate, btw: 32G, 1080ti, SSD, etc...and the 43" monitor is 4K....

Which brings up a question: Anyone actually use voice commands for sub-simming? I have used them in the past with racing for setting up pitstops, and they were nearly essential for oval racing (because I can't type and drive fer sh**), but I was just curious if anyone here has investigated that idea.
Old 10-04-18, 06:56 PM   #41
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
Which brings up a question: Anyone actually use voice commands for sub-simming?

Well I definitely not - the keyboard and mouse commands are short and concise, there are no misunderstandings.
If something goes wrong, only the CO has made one or more mistakes.

Old 10-04-18, 07:34 PM   #42
Christopher Snow
Engineer

Quote:
Well I definitely not - the keyboard and mouse commands are short and concise, there are no misunderstandings.
If something goes wrong, only the CO has made one or more mistakes.

Well, as I alluded to, your keyboard is more reliable than mine, but I'll solve it. Powered USB extension cable (putting together an order now for several of them, in fact).

Also bought a powered 4K HDMI repeater/splitter recently and that'll come online too. A BIG part of the thinking there is the connectors on the repeater can take the wear and tear, rather than the v. card connectors ($40 vs. $800) to replace each, and two can become four if necessary (for VR).

This becomes even more important if you are looking at something like a 2080ti, where the costs are half again higher. I might be, with a ThreadRipper build (but that's down the road, and not needed for anything I'm doing now, sim/gaming wise).
Old 10-05-18, 04:22 AM   #43
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ah - I'm starting to understand - you want to customize your immediate environment to the simulation.

Then you might be interested in this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220594

Old 10-06-18, 10:20 PM   #44
Christopher Snow
Engineer

Quote:
Ah - I'm starting to understand - you want to customize your immediate environment to the simulation.

Then you might be interested in this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220594

Cool, yes, but overkill, IMO. I'm always looking more toward "multi-discipline" PC platforms, and those too that are affordable and accessible for the masses. I've seen the railroad specific and airliner specific home built in's described there.

For me, a big, vertical flatscreen in front of me is enough. I COULD, if I were so inclined, replace a portion of the flat desk in front of me with an upward facing screen...probably covered with glass...to use as a plotting board: The sort you can write on with a grease pencil if need be, but that too seems like overkill IF I can use similar (graphic) tools on the screen plot itself, and I suspect I can by now. That would be enough.

I don't need to grab onto the periscope handles provided I can imagine using them to pivot the scope through a 360 sweep. And from what I remember of SH3/(and limited intro to) SH4, that's good enough.

Voice command would be cool IF you could tailor it to real naval commands, but at the level I last used it, that wasn't possible. I think I last used "Game Commander 2," which let you save three voice commands for each game command (for sample comparison purposes).

You could say, for example: "Come left ten degrees" and in a typical subsim you could "assign" that to the command "come left ten degrees." Might work...might not.

Similarly then for five, and then single degrees. What you COULDN'T do (then at least) was say: "Come left to a heading of 335." As a commander, you would have to do the math yourself in increments. If you were previously at 355 you could say "come left ten"...and then repeat it (to come left a total of twenty)...but you might have to adjust it +/- 1 after that to "trim it up" too.

As a WWII commander, I like the idea of issuing commands by voice, true, and specifically so I don't have to fiddle with mouse and keyboard...and command station.

But that's maybe something for SH6. [?]

Last edited by Christopher Snow; 10-20-18 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 02:57 AM   #45
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I hate having to use the mouse to swivel the scope in SH5... afaik they haven't fixed that yet