SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-05, 04:16 PM   #1
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0
Default Wow Great Books

well since buying this game ive been very very interested in uboats and the whole uboat warfare. And i bought Hilters Uboat War 1939-1942 and "Battle of the Atlantic".. And i must say, for every1 interested in uboats u must read Hilters Uboat War! Its an excellent read, and i just started yesterday. I couldnt put it down! Gives good records, primary sources, and lots of info to the buildup of uboats. Interesting and fun! Read it!
Old 07-17-05, 04:42 PM   #2
CobraCommander
Watch

Downloads: 0

Here is some more inspiration:
http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39527
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-05, 07:06 PM   #3
Robsalguz
Swabbie

Default More info sources.

Salvadoreno:
You should also try
-"U-Boats The Illustrated History of the Raiders of the Deep" by David Miller
- U-Boat At War (DVD) series
- WWII Secrets of War series: Battle of the Atlantic.
- The World at War series: The battle of the atlantic (Vol 10) VHS.
- last but not least... Das Boot (DVD) and read the Book also.

Old 07-17-05, 08:38 PM   #4
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

yah i saw a lot of those documenteries and of course i watched das boot like 300 times
Old 07-17-05, 09:54 PM   #5
Robsalguz
Swabbie

Every time I watch again Das Boot I discover something new I didn't noticed before... Too bad I don't speak german as there is a lot of things you don't see because it is lost in the English translation or subtitles. Spanish translation is also plagged of errors.

Regarding the books/videos....I forgot to mention:
-from "WWII Battle Force series : U-Boat" available only in VHS from PSB Home Video...
and more reading:
-"U-Boat Adventures - Firsthand Accounts from WWII" written by Melanie Wiggins.
-"Silent Hunters - German U-Boat Commanders of World War II" By Theodore Savas (Blue Jacket Books).

Have fun :rotfl:

For me the best book is Silent Hunters and the best video is the U-Boat war (3 VHS video series in one DVD).
Also the Battle of The Atlantic from The Wold at War series as actual commanders were interviewed from both sides (including Karl Doenitz). Most of them saddly deceased now.

By the way... which is the best book/video you guys have seen or read? Which you would personally recommend as your best ever?
Old 07-17-05, 11:35 PM   #6
BBwalk
Watch

Downloads: 305

Since we're on the topic of great U-boat books, I HIGHLY recommend "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner. He writes about his first hand experiences serving on five different U-boats from 1941-1945. It is well written and hard to put down; exciting, intense and somber all at the same time.

During one of his tours in '43, the author describes how their sub was submerged and under attack by several destroyers for almost 35 hours...where they eventually reached a depth of 280 meters! The book also demonstrates how often and threatening air attacks were in the last few years of the war.

Published by Da Capo Press. More info here...

http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/dac...sbn=030681160X
BBwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 11:52 AM   #7
Robsalguz
Swabbie

Default Thanks BBwalk

Thanks BBwalk. I'll take your word and I am ordering this book.

Thanks Buddy.
Old 07-18-05, 11:56 AM   #8
Floater
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 1

Default Re: Thanks BBwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsalguz
Thanks BBwalk. I'll take your word and I am ordering this book.
You won't regret it. It's excellent. The only thing is, take the technical stuff with a pinch of salt. It's renowned as being technically inaccurate, but it's still a wonderful read, and well worth the price for that alone.
Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 12:05 PM   #9
Stealth Elephant
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBwalk
Since we're on the topic of great U-boat books, I HIGHLY recommend "Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner. He writes about his first hand experiences serving on five different U-boats from 1941-1945. It is well written and hard to put down; exciting, intense and somber all at the same time.

During one of his tours in '43, the author describes how their sub was submerged and under attack by several destroyers for almost 35 hours...where they eventually reached a depth of 280 meters! The book also demonstrates how often and threatening air attacks were in the last few years of the war.
I only just started to read my copy (that was VERY hard to find, I might add!), but so far there is one part that really sticks out for me.

Without giving away too much, a very tragic occurrence ends what was meant to be a simple training exercise. I couldn't believe the consequences.

The book is so gripping it hurts. It is told with such emotion and conviction that you truly feel for the men who consigned themselves to this miserable duty. I almost cannot imagine how "Das Boot" could be any better than this, but I'm more than willing to try it out once I can locate a copy!
Stealth Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 03:44 PM   #10
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

while i was searchiing for Iron Coffins by hebert warner on the internet i also stumbled upon another book called Iron Coffins which looked rather interesting. Nonficiton (fake) but it was the story of a uboat that patrolled the east coast, was gravely wounded by a aircraft, and limped into the Lousiana Bayou where a tribe secluded itself from the outside world. And the book went on about the experiences of all the men, including some interesting characters and lots of turns and twists. Any1 read this Iron Coffins?
Old 07-18-05, 07:18 PM   #11
Stealth Elephant
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno
while i was searchiing for Iron Coffins by hebert warner on the internet i also stumbled upon another book called Iron Coffins which looked rather interesting. Nonficiton (fake) but it was the story of a uboat that patrolled the east coast, was gravely wounded by a aircraft, and limped into the Lousiana Bayou where a tribe secluded itself from the outside world. And the book went on about the experiences of all the men, including some interesting characters and lots of turns and twists. Any1 read this Iron Coffins?
Sounds like Heart of Darkness, to me!
Stealth Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 06:53 AM   #12
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Elephant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBwalk

I only just started to read my copy (that was VERY hard to find, I might add!), but so far there is one part that really sticks out for me.

Without giving away too much, a very tragic occurrence ends what was meant to be a simple training exercise. I couldn't believe the consequences.

The book is so gripping it hurts. It is told with such emotion and conviction that you truly feel for the men who consigned themselves to this miserable duty. I almost cannot imagine how "Das Boot" could be any better than this, but I'm more than willing to try it out once I can locate a copy!
Got my copy of IRON COFFINS EASILY from amazon.com

Without giving away the book...I HATED the ending!!! What happened to his friend Fred? How did Werner get to the USA?
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-05, 07:15 PM   #13
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Elephant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno
Sounds like Heart of Darkness, to me!
has any1 read it?! Probably has some good uboat battles in it!
Old 07-19-05, 07:29 PM   #14
america person
Gunner

Default Re: More info sources.

[quote="Robsalguz"]Salvadoreno:
You should also try
-"U-Boats The Illustrated History of the Raiders of the Deep" by David Miller
ithink ive got that one, if its same one im thinking of yeah its cool
america person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-05, 06:06 PM   #15