Old 03-27-18, 02:55 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Me and my SH5 game

Lets start from the beginning.
I bought the game somewhere in 2010/11

In the beginning I had no success due many things, like how to start a mission and when I learned how to, I had problems with this tonnage thing.

Placed the game on my shelf were all the rest of my game is.

Some years later I thought I would give it another try.

Installed it, but had forgotten how to get into a mission, was told by one of my friends how to do this, same problem again, this tonnage thing.

Toke a look at our download section to find any solution.
There was this TWOS.
I downloaded it at started to install the different mod folder into my SH5 folder.
OK, lets go-Error, black screen.
I know what's happened, cause I have done it before.
I have somehow mixed potatoes and carrots(Meaning I have copied things from the mod folder into the SH5 folder and copied things from the SH5 folder into the mod folder.)
uninstalled the game again.
This was some years ago.

Hey there is this JGME, well I have tried this before with no success what so ever.

Once again I put the game away.

Then last week, better late than never. I suddenly came to think of youtube.

Of course on youtube you can see almost everything.
Made a search for JGSME and found some videos even one relating to SH5.
(I know there's videos posted here in this section, I however can't see them, I see black small screen, where this video should be.

So now I have done as told in this video.
Copied the mega mods folder into the SH5 folder.
Copied the JGSME setup into the SH5 folder.
And done as was shown in the video.

Now I'm playing SH5 with some of Sobers Mega mods and what good is, I seems to have no problems with this tonnage thing.

I sank three Polish Merchant and I don't know or have forgotten since I played last night, what you call it. I had succes with this polish scenario and last time I played without this JGSME I sank many polish ships without any success(that is if I remember correctly)

Later I'm planning on trying this TWOS mega mods

Well that what I had to tell you about me and my SH5 game.

I'm really bad when it comes to deeper things regarding games.
I'm also a type who learn a lot more from watching someone do it or from a video then I have to read about it.

Forgot something.
In one of my former post about this SH5 THEBERBSTER helped me a lot.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 03-27-18 at 03:04 PM.
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 05:38 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

As mentioned above, I downloaded this TWoS. I was expecting a lots of smaller folder after I had unzipped it. It was one of these auto installer.

Now I was a little confused, ´cause I seem to remember I had huge problem last time I tried to install one of these mega mods into my SH5....went I suddenly remembered it was into my SH4 I tried to install one of these mega mods.

OK. I extracted the files to the right place

Lets play...hey wait a minute, have to remove these Sober mods I have activated.
Removed those and I removed this mega mods folder + all of the JGSME stuff.

Now I can play. logged onto my Uplay
A new start screen.
Then a black screen for some minutes.....then the UBISOFT logo appeared and......nothing happened.....waiting.....nothing...CTRL+ALT + Del to close the game...this UBISOFT logo jumped up, couldn't see this(don't know what it is called in English, Danish or Swedish) Had to make force shut down of my computer.
After restart I totally removed everything related to my SH5 Game.

Later on this day I will make a fresh installation of SH5.
And reinstall the TWoS.

I'm curious however this TWoS JGSME shouldn't it be in the Silent Hunter 5 folder and not on my desktop ?

Markus
Old 03-27-18, 05:58 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Mapuc
Quote:
Lets play...hey wait a minute, have to remove these Sober mods I have activated.
Removed those and I removed this mega mods folder + all of the JGSME stuff.
You need a clean installation to install TWOS on.
Run a registry cleaner after uninstalling.
Post #70 How To Use The Free Registry Cleaner 'Ccleaner' > Includes Download Link

Post #5 Update SH5 From v1.0.5.0 To v1.2.0 Immediately After Installing
You also need to start the stock game as in the TWOS instructions before loading TWOS for the first time.

Quote:
Then a black screen for some minutes..
This is quite normal and might take 3 to 5 minutes to load a mega mod.

Quote:
then the UBISOFT logo appeared and......nothing happened.....waitingI
This is a loading error which you will not overcome at present.

Follow the instructions I have stated and see what happens on a clean installation.
If you get dumped back to Ubisoft again your problem will be the Uplay Game Launcher.
You will need to uninstall it from the Control Panels Program and Features and run the Registry cleaner again.
Then install this one not in the Program files (x86) directory as it has restrictions to your applications.
Post #97 SH5 Game Launcher Install It Anywhere On Any Drive

Post #74 Run Both SH5.exe And Ubisoft Game Launcher Application's As Administrator's
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 11:54 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you.

After having restarted my computer I went into the SH5 folder to see, if there was a uninstaller(some games do have such a program)Couldn't find any, so I removed it through the remove program and apps-thing.

Said yes when asked if I wanted to remove everything, even saved game.
The SH5 folder was still there, the rest was files from the TWoS I had extracted 10-15 minutes earlier. Deleted the entire SH5 folder

It was late, so I did not try to make fresh installation of SH5. I went back to this forum to see if there was any answer to my post and you have given me some interesting information.

About this Cclreaner. I have Avast Cleanup Premium.
Have just made a clean with this program. It said I had 153 something-in my registry and other thing.

Made a total cleanup.

So now I will make a fresh installation patch it to 1.2.0
If needed I have the Gold Edition.
After this patching I will play a bit, sink some Polish ship and exit without saving.
Then I will install the TWoS

Markus
Old 03-28-18, 03:11 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER

Hi m

Quote:
I have Avast Cleanup Premium.
That is alright if it also cleans and fixes the Registry.
Quote:
After this patching I will play a bit, sink some Polish ship and exit without saving.
I would not advise compromising your fresh installation before installing TWOS.

All you need to do is load the stock game to the bunker and exit back to the desk top.
TWOS comes with installation instructions that can be found in The Wolves Of Steel - Documentation.
Peter
Old 03-28-18, 04:49 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

More updates on my conquest to install this TWoS

OK clean and repair registry

Started to install SH5 was almost finish installing, when I for the fist time since ever got blue screen of death.

Back again. Guess I have to make another try to install the game. Well the game had been installed after all....well it hadn't after I had pressed play I got "Silent Hunter 5 has stop working"-message

Uninstalled the game again.

Wondering if I should restart the computer...I didn't

Another try to install, which I had to cancel, ´cause I had forgotten to clean and repair registry.

Last chance this time the game was installed and as mentioned above I sank some Polish ships.

Exit without saving.

Installed TWoS
Started the game, start screen loaded find...then black screen again with a number 1 up in the left corner(wonder what that means)
Waited and waited for about 9-10 minutes nothing happened...not again. Once again I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and once again the UBISOFT logo came up.

This time I will wait...after about 7-8 minutes the game started.

Could see they have skipped the Polish-thing I was in Kiel from start.

Then I asked for mission and started the mission and I exit

Now I will play some campaign and later I will make use of this JGSME.

Shouldn't this JGSME be in the SH5 folder ?(that was what I saw in one of these videos)

Markus
Old 03-28-18, 05:43 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
...when I for the fist time since ever got blue screen of death.

...well it hadn't after I had pressed play I got "Silent Hunter 5 has stop working"-message

Installed TWoS
... with a number 1 up in the left corner(wonder what that means)
...Once again I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and once again the UBISOFT logo came up.

Could see they have skipped the Polish-thing I was in Kiel from start.
O boy... Almost everything you've mentioned above doesn't sound right at all.

Have you checked TWoS install instructions at least once?

Also, BSOD is always hardware or drivers related and it has nothing to do with regular software or games. You may wish to check your system as well.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 11:26 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Using Reg Cleaners can be dangerous for your system stability if you don't know *exactly* what you should find and delete.
For SH5, the entry that can cause problems is this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Si lent Hunter 5\GameUpdate

You should deinstall all the game in Windows, then open the registy, locate the folder Ubisoft in the path above and delete the whole 'Silent Hunter 5' folder.
Restart computer.

Then reinstall and patch to 1.2. (I don't know how this is done with Steam versions but I heared that it's possible).
After that install the newest TWoS by instructions.

Cheers,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 11:42 AM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

@ vdr1981

The installation instruction was first available after extracting the TWoS. It was THEBERBSTER first answer to my post that helped me installing this TWoS

@ XenonSurf
My software program AVAST Cleanup Premium does it for me automatically, each time I choose to do so or when the this program warns me.

The most important thing is the game is installed and by playing it a few minutes late last night, it seems like the installation went well.

This autopatch seems not to be working. Absolutely nothing happens when this little window pops up. Have to download the update through our own download page.

Markus
Old 03-29-18, 01:43 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
The installation instruction was first available after extracting the TWoS.

Markus
I don't understand?
There's a huge download link (with bold letters and font size 5) right there on TWoS download page... Not sure how could anyone missed it...
Old 03-29-18, 02:24 PM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I don't understand?
There's a huge download link (with bold letters and font size 5) right there on TWoS download page... Not sure how could anyone missed it...
I have confess I'm one of those who take head dive into the water before reading the warning sign.

Furthermore I most of the files I have downloaded there have been a readme first document after I have unzipped the files or extracting it.

That's why I only looked and clicked on the winzip-logo, ´cause I expected there would be a read me first document after I had unzipped the files. It was a auto installer.

The game is running almost smoothly have some lag, this must be due to a weak graphic card and other things.

The only thing I don't like is I can't get into the no fuel consumption.

Have never been good at sailing with use of real fuel consumption

Markus
Old 03-29-18, 05:14 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER

Hi Markus
Quote:
The only thing I don't like is I can't get into the no fuel consumption.
This should not be a problem with TWOS as the fuel capacity has been increased to account for only Types VII's boats available in the game.

If you wish to disable "Limited fuel" this can be done before you start your new patrol and before you make your required bunker game save.

Peter
Old 03-29-18, 05:30 PM   #13
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
This should not be a problem with TWOS as the fuel capacity has been increased to account for only Types VII's boats available in the game.
Not exactly... The fuel capacity have been increased indeed, but only to compensate for SH world imperfections. Distances near poles in SH world are much bigger than in real world. GWX manual talks about this oddity:

Quote:
The range of U-boats in stock Silent Hunter III is consistent with their historical ranges; however, GWX significantly increases the distances that U-boats can travel on a single load of fuel because distances between points of latitude and longitude in Silent Hunter III, e.g., the distances between major ports, are much larger than they are in real life. There are two reasons for the increased distance:
• The shortest distance between two points on a sphere is a Great Circle; however, courses plotted by players in Silent Hunter III are loxodromes, or lines of constant heading, that appear as straight lines on Mercator projections but which curve when the course is plotted on the surface of a three-dimensional sphere (see Figure 45). The difference between the Great Circle distance and the distance along a loxodrome increases as the loxodrome approaches the poles; for example, the distance from Brest, France to Boston, USA is over 10,000 km in Silent Hunter III, but is only about 6,000 km along the real life Great Circle route.
Old 03-30-18, 02:51 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Why I don't know, but none of the changes I make in the Game option is saved even though I press "Yes" when asked if I want to save these changes.

Yesterday after having read the answer on how to I started the game, made the changes started a new campaign, after some hours playing I saw the fuel consumption was down to
95 %. Went back to game option where I noticed those squares I had unmarked had been marked again

Once again I made these changes, then making sure I'm clicking on yes.. start new mission after a few minutes back to options.....
...unmarked squares have once again been marked.

Could be I'm playing a game not ment to be played on WIN10

Edit.

After I had written this comment I started the game again.
After the main screen appeared I entered Option...unmarked some of the markings..clicked on apply, then yes when asked
Start new campaign..entered my alias..then I pressed return..entered option and saw these squares was unmarked..again I said yes after having pressed apply(just in case) Started the campaign and noticed after a while fuel 97 %.

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 03-30-18 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 03:58 AM   #15
THEBERBSTER

Hi m
When the game loads to the bunker press the ESC key.
Select Options and make your game play setting changes.
Now you need to make a new manual save so your game play settings are saved in the game.
Go back to the main menu and load your new game save.
You should always make a manual game save before starting a new mission whether you make game play changes or not.
Peter