Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-18, 08:47 PM   #4591
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Re: the ability of a President to fire a Special Prosecutor/Special Counsel; one of the advantages of living a long time is experiencing some incidents that have now come about again; Nixon tried to get Archibald Cox fired and could not legally do so on his own orders; Nixon then tried to get the AG to fire Cox, but the AG refused and resigned in disgust; Nixon moved on down the food chain and tried to get the Asst. AG to fire Cox and the Asst. AG also quit in protest; Nixon was finally able to get the Solicitor General to do the firing, but the end result was the filing of an obstruction of justice count added to the impeachment articles based on Nixon's actions in firing the SP:

Quote:

On November 14, 1973, federal district judge Gerhard Gesell ruled firing Cox was illegal absent a finding of extraordinary impropriety as specified in the regulation establishing the special prosecutor's office. Congress was infuriated by what it saw as a gross abuse of presidential power—as were many Americans, who sent an unusually large number of telegrams to the White House and Congress in protest.

Less than a week after the Saturday Night Massacre, an Oliver Quayle poll for NBC News showed that, for the first time, a plurality of U.S. citizens supported impeaching Nixon, with 44% in favor, 43% opposed, and 13% undecided, with a sampling error of 2 to 3 per cent.[11] In the days that followed, numerous resolutions of impeachment against the president were introduced in Congress.

But the House Judiciary Committee did not approve its first article of impeachment until July 27 the following year – more than nine months after the Saturday Night Massacre – when it charged Nixon with obstruction of justice. Two more articles of impeachment quickly followed.

Nixon resigned less than two weeks later, on August 8, 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Massacre

Trump is welcome to try to repeat history...

I don't think his outcome will be any different than Nixon's...

<O>
Old 04-19-18, 10:02 PM   #4592
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Low side? You gonna call him a deplorable next there Cankles?
Sorry, I don't understand either of those terms. If you'll recall, I didn't vote for either the clown or the crook. When asked if I thought they were equall6y bad, I replied that I thought each one was worse than the other.

I don't really care that much about Trump one way or the other, as despite the cries from the left no President is really capable of doing extreme harm to the country. What I care about are True Believers, the ones who "know" that they are right and will go to practically any length to prove it. Every comment they make is based on that presupposition, and they always seem to have a difficult time actually discussing a topic without a whole lot of "Rah, Rah, We're The Best!" The also seem to operate on the assumption that everyone else thinks just like them, so that anyone who offers any kind of negative observation is automatically assumed to be the enemy.

A lot of us actually don't think that way.
Old 04-19-18, 10:25 PM   #4593
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Comey's memos have been released by the DOJ and can be read here:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...y-s-memos.html
Old 04-20-18, 08:24 AM   #4594
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
I said I don't do sneaky things, I don't leak, I don't do weasel moves.
Page three of Comey memo, paragraph 4.

Quote:
So Comey, at Clapper’s expressed behest, told Trump that CNN was “looking for a news hook” to publish dossier allegations. He said this in the briefing of Trump that almost immediately leaked to CNN, which provided them the very news hook they sought and needed.

This briefing, and the leaking of it, legitimized the dossier, which touched off the Russia hysteria. That hysteria led to a full-fledged media freakout. During the freakout, Comey deliberately refused to say in public what he acknowledged repeatedly in private — that the President of the United States was not under investigation. He even noted in his memos that he told the president at least three times that he was not under investigation. Comey’s refusal to admit publicly what he kept telling people privately led to his firing.

That led to Comey leaking multiple memos in order to get a special counsel appointed out of revenge.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/20/...p-was-a-setup/

In some ways I feel sorry for Comey because it seems like he has psychological disorder. He seems oblivious to his own shortcomings while gladly pointing out defects in others. Maybe he's preparing his defense.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 04-20-18, 09:07 AM   #4595
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
"I said I don't do sneaky things, I don't leak, I don't do weasel moves. "

Page three of Comey memo, paragraph 4.
He was talking then as the Director of the FBI, about his reliability as the Director. What he did after he was fired and was no longer bound by his profession is completely different.

As for the second part of your post, Comey didn't make it public because the FBI would then have to publicly correct it incase Trump became target of investigation which -- needless to say -- would hamper the investigation.
Old 04-20-18, 09:32 AM   #4596
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Comey is a non-entity at this point, spurned by both Republicans and Democrats. He will never be appointed to any office ever again.

He will do his publicity tour, get his two weeks of fame and then disappear altogether.
Old 04-20-18, 10:01 AM   #4597
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Comey is a non-entity at this point, spurned by both Republicans and Democrats. He will never be appointed to any office ever again.

He will do his publicity tour, get his two weeks of fame and then disappear altogether.

when Obama hired Comey he had a net worth of 11 million dollars now a book deal he's laughing all the way to the bank to collect his money. While with the FBI he still made about 130,000 dollars more than the average American household. Obvious to me where his higher loyalty lies. The joke's on us.

Meanwhile here at SUBSIM...

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-20-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 01:02 PM   #4598
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

<O>
Yea! Vienna is back ...

What if subsim had a bowling league with two teams democrats and republicans ... which side would you be on?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 04-20-18, 01:08 PM   #4599
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Meanwhile here at SUBSIM...
...Yes?

Salary nor one's net worth means nothing. See: Trump.

What is your point?
Old 04-20-18, 01:20 PM   #4600
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post

I don't think Trump has any intention of firing Mueller now despite what MSNBC and CNN say. He doesn't have to.

By the way, welcome back man. I missed you.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 04-20-18, 01:50 PM   #4601
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
...Yes?

Salary nor one's net worth means nothing. See: Trump.

What is your point?
You just made it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 04-20-18, 02:00 PM   #4602
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

What if subsim had a bowling league with two teams democrats and republicans ... which side would you be on?

Neither. Both teams always end up in the gutter.
Old 04-20-18, 02:06 PM   #4603
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

at this point , it seems Trump is not a target, so no reason to fire anyone:

Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein told President Donald Trump last week that he isn’t a target of any part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation or the probe into his longtime lawyer, Michael Cohen, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Rosenstein, who brought up the investigations himself, offered the assurance during a meeting with Trump at the White House last Thursday, a development that helped tamp down the president’s desire to remove Rosenstein or Mueller, the people said.

After the meeting, Trump told some of his closest advisers that it’s not the right time to remove either man since he’s not a target of the probes. One person said Trump doesn’t want to take any action that would drag out the investigation.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-mueller-probe
Old 04-20-18, 05:33 PM   #4604
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
at this point , it seems Trump is not a target, so no reason to fire anyone:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-mueller-probe
My first thought was that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein was trying to keep his job
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 04-23-18, 01:46 PM   #4605
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Yea! Vienna is back ...

I'm not really a "joiner in", so I would rather just bowl on my own; also, I shudder to think what truly bad team bowling shirts they would devise...

So, I wouldn't join either team...

...but, I would keep a close score...

<O>

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter