SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-16, 04:27 PM   #151
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Gettin' yer 'Ath' lit up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
Not sure if this is a digital image or an actual photo, but I'm putting it here anyway
HEY NUTHIN GOOD GOES OUTTA STYLE-AS DISCUSSED 8/3/15 IN THE BILGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMISTEAD
We will have no weapons, so I want some ram installed on the front. Our guns don't work so I got us all slingshots. When i call battle stations, we will all go topside, sling shots firing and ram the enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby
Well I've got it all covered- I ain't COB fer nuthin': we go Trireme style And mount an Archimedean catapault (Huge slingshot ArmiBBY) on the deck I got dibs on the Thranites rowing position otherwise known as a "stool-rower" on the upper deck in 'honor' of my so-called 'named offspring'
@ CaptainRamius: Naturally as a new volunteer aboard the bilge's U-REEKHA U R assigned thalamitai — lower bank duties alongside Eichhörnchen! However, if U have a tambourine, we'll let you keep time (1 auletes — a musician supplying the oar timing with his flute)...critical when hitting 9 knots with 170 rowers! and doing 180's in 2.5 lengths Naturally Bertieck, AVGWarhawk and I will be assigned sail-handling duty....occasionally manning a 'stool' rowing position for ramming; C'mon at my age I need a decent chair! We of the Bilge remember Salamis, Actium & Lepanto ;all hard rowing turning points of history: and ramming allowed; Catapults, cannon, and archers if you must! <ATHLIT PROW
Of course I'll serve a good Cabernet with stew for all hands...It wasn't called the Wine Dark Sea fer nuthin! Where Rams are concerned-Rule 1: 'Tis' better to give than receive' lest you get yer 'ath-lit up"!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-21-16 at 06:02 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 04:52 PM   #152
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Whoa, nice!

Would you call this a schooner-brig?
That Sir is a Square-rigged Ketch: shorter mast to the rear
Quote:

Ketch was a "catch" or fishing boat (ketch from Middle English cache, from cacchen, "to catch"). The mizzen is bigger than seen on a yawl in order to hold the bow (front) of a boat toward the wind and oncoming waves. The mainsail at the front of the boat would have been dropped and the mizzen trimmed tight on the centreline. Set up this way most boats will point directly into the wind in a reliable way. It is also possible to ease the mizzen slightly to allow the boat to move slowly forward.
In a fishing boat this attitude allows the nets to be handled without the boat becoming "broadsides" to the waves allowing them to break over the sides of the boat. Fishnets can then be handled without putting the boat at risk.
For enough sail area to propel a fishing boat the mizzen mast has to move forward toward the middle of the boat which allows its sail to be bigger without upsetting the sail balance or distribution.
Note the gaff rig mizzen with the National color properly displayed on vessel's 'point of honor' Looks just like the Hawaiian Chieftan

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-21-16, 06:03 PM   #153
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Cod fishing ship Stª. Maria Manuela!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 01:08 AM   #154
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
HEY NUTHIN GOOD GOES OUTTA STYLE-AS DISCUSSED 8/3/15 IN THE BILGE @ CaptainRamius: Naturally as a new volunteer aboard the bilge's U-REEKHA U R assigned thalamitai — lower bank duties alongside Eichhörnchen! However, if U have a tambourine, we'll let you keep time (1 auletes — a musician supplying the oar timing with his flute)...critical when hitting 9 knots with 170 rowers! and doing 180's in 2.5 lengths Naturally Bertieck, AVGWarhawk and I will be assigned sail-handling duty....occasionally manning a 'stool' rowing position for ramming; C'mon at my age I need a decent chair! We of the Bilge remember Salamis, Actium & Lepanto ;all hard rowing turning points of history: and ramming allowed; Catapults, cannon, and archers if you must! [/I][/URL] <ATHLIT PROW
Of course I'll serve a good Cabernet with stew for all hands...It wasn't called the Wine Dark Sea fer nuthin! Where Rams are concerned-Rule 1: 'Tis' better to give than receive' lest you get yer 'ath-lit up"!!
Hey Aktung, keep in mind that this is a Beautiful Sailing Ships thread. The Bilge is that a way ---->
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 06:41 AM   #155
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

L’Hermione, a replica of the 145-foot long Concorde class frigate that brought General Lafayette to the aid of the fledgling United States during the Revolutionary War.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 09:37 AM   #156
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

^Under full sail and showing some 'attitude'! https://www.facebook.com/hermione.voyage/photos/pb.215526518637067.-2207520000.1458656418./392421887614195/?type=3&theater And a very proper display of the colors!

Old 03-22-16, 11:07 AM   #157
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Royal Clipper:

Old 03-22-16, 11:40 AM   #158
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The Barque Eagle

Old 04-14-16, 02:17 PM   #159
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

USS Constitution is shown in a 1931 photograph

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-16, 06:15 AM   #160
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Pelican of London

Old 05-11-16, 05:20 PM   #161
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default "TINTAGEL" by Sir Arnold Bax

Click on this and listen whilst enjoying these pictures...

Old 05-19-16, 02:13 PM   #162
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

What sailing ship is this one? All I have is that it is a photograph taken in Balaklava harbor, 1855, photographed by Roger Fenton

or achievement

Old 05-20-16, 05:43 AM   #163
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I believe her to be HMS Hecla berthed at the cattle pier and as you say, at Balaklava Harbour circa 1855.

Old 05-21-16, 12:50 AM   #164
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Another perspective distant view (right) view Cossack Bay, cattle and horse dock-showing penned mounts. The HMS Hecla (#3 of that name) of the Crimean War did serve in the Baltic in action in 1854; Sir William Hutcheon Hall commanding, but was a Hydra class paddle-wheel sloop 6 gun vessel. MR Quatro's pic is definitely not a paddle wheel steam sloop. There is no stack at all; so not a steam frigate either. At some point a hurricane hit, sinking 30 transports in Balaklava and the horses suffered horribly from feed shortages and logistic nightmares. The Crimean war ranks as a study in how not to supply an army. This has been an engrossing hunt for the vessel name. It's driving me nuts....I'm clueless

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-21-16 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 09:17 AM   #165
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

The scene depicts a harsh hard life doesn't it? I would've rather ship out and have been at sea in those old days.

I was more interested in what kind of ship she was more than the name.

Three mast with what looks like 11 gun ports ... one clue is that this is now a Russian submarine base. Must have important defense capabilites, uh?
or achievement