SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-15, 09:09 AM   #1
DesertGhost
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Question concerning life after WW2

I have a question for you guys. I hope I am at the right place on the forum for this.
But does someone know if there are any sources (diaries, books, pictures, private film) of/about U-boat sailors after the Second World War?

I’m studying history and I have to write a paper about ‘daily life after the war’ (approximately between the years 1944-1948 and mainly focussed on Europe) for cultural history and this seemed an interesting topic to me. Instead of focussing on the ‘big players’ in history we now have to look at the ‘normal’ people/regular persons.
We have to look at how people picked up (daily) life after the war and how they experienced all the changes.
We can also analyse pictures, film or objects from that time and try to describe how that shows life after the war.
Problem is, I have not been able to find sources (about U-boat sialors) so far. So I thought maybe you guys know something.
(Other suggestions are also welcome of course)

I can read Dutch, Frisian, English and German. Sources in those languages would be nice.

I have searched the forum if something similar had already been asked before and I could not find anything, but it is possible I overlooked something.

Perhaps someone here can help me.
Thanks in advance.

DesertGhost
It's time for you to return

DesertGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 09:37 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

http://summer.uci.edu/pdfs/travelstudy/history114_the_reconstruction_of_europe.pdf! Quite an extensive reference bibliography on the topic. a good start point. Hey say something Frisian!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 10:32 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_of_Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftermath_of_World_War_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...945%E2%80%9390)

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 03:56 PM   #4
DesertGhost
Seaman

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
http://summer.uci.edu/pdfs/travelstudy/history114_the_reconstruction_of_europe.pdf! Quite an extensive reference bibliography on the topic. a good start point. Hey say something Frisian!
Haha, so you want me to prove that I'm really Frisian? Well fortunately the Frisians made a saying for that: "Bűter, brea, en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries!" I would love to hear you try to pronounce this
(translated as "Butter, rye bread and green cheese, whoever cannot say that is not a genuine Frisian." It is said Grutte Pier, a Frisian hero, used that to determine if someone was an enemy, a Hollander, or a friend, a Frisian.)
Or did you have any requests? I can always try to translate it

Tige tank (thank you) for the link, it looks very useful and I will certainly have a closer look at all the references!

Thanks Jimbuna! I now mostly avoid wikipedia, because I'm not allowed to use that as source, but on the other hand it is very useful since there are a lot of references/sources on those pages which I can look at and perhaps use. So I will certainly have a closer look!
Those documentaries also look very interesting! Thank you
It's time for you to return

DesertGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 06:30 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Your most welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 07:09 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGhost View Post
Haha, so you want me to prove that I'm really Frisian? Well fortunately the Frisians made a saying for that: "Bűter, brea, en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries!" I would love to hear you try to pronounce this
(translated as "Butter, rye bread and green cheese, whoever cannot say that is not a genuine Frisian." It is said Grutte Pier, a Frisian hero, used that to determine if someone was an enemy, a Hollander, or a friend, a Frisian.)

I learn a Fryslân Shibboleth my first day! My Scuba partner's wife is from Holland and speaks it.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote