SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-16, 04:25 PM   #16
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Cyclops (AC-4) is a "Easter Egg" ghost ship like "The Flying Dutchman" found somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle as I understand it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 04:56 PM   #17
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Well that does sound like a possibility although stories like Bermuda triangle mysteries tend to make me irrate and move on to something else. Incidentally, Proteus and 1 other sister, Nereus also disappeared in that area so it would still work IMHO to keep both the Proteus class and the hint to bizarre stories heard from drunken sailors. Nereus disappeared during WW2 so I might use that for the Cyclops and then there is the AC9 group for Proteus.

EDIT: Finally done converting all 300++ images for identification and editing. That took a while but that is still little compared to the upcoming identification of all the images.

EDIT 2: After conciderations and looking at Sailor Steve's list, I decided to keep Cyclops as a class if it is indeed an easter egg. Steve has already included Proteus and her other sisters alongside other ships unknown to me. I'll stick to his list for now.

Last edited by Von Due; 04-15-16 at 06:59 AM.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 05:25 PM   #18
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Thank you!

Another nerd-out:
Looking into the various ship classes, I stumbled across the fact that the only Cyclops (AC-4) was lost in 1918. However, there were sisterships, of the Proteus class, lead by Proteus (AC-9). Not a whole lot luckier, it was lost in 1941 but at least it's one that could be sighted in 1939-1941. That's one up for change.
There are other issues with classes and names, and it's not helped by the convoluted naming system for files in the SH3 folders. I have tga files that don't match any classes in EnglishNames.cgf, which to my understanding is where naming for the rec manual takes place.
Then there are ships that aren't mentioned in the rec manual, like other submarines, lightboats, and this very odd looking speedy boat with a flat box like top structure I never saw anywhere in the rec manual or museum. This blighter was found far west of Ireland in 1939.

EDIT: Slowly getting the tga files converted, only about 60 left. Still the issue of identifying all of them then work out a final master index.
LOL! I remember making her! I swiped a small boat from one of the "Hunt" class destroyers...turned it into a launch that would be used to carry men or supplies to shore.

And you're doing a great job of matching up the auxiliaries to plausible ship classes - when I first built them, I pretty much designed generic, modern-looking cargo ships instead of going off blueprints. There were only a few exceptions, like the Liberty Ship and T-2 tanker auxiliaries.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 05:40 PM   #19
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
LOL! I remember making her! I swiped a small boat from one of the "Hunt" class destroyers...turned it into a launch that would be used to carry men or supplies to shore.
Ah! Nice one. You really had me there. Ps, someone forgot to give those gentlemen a chart of the waters. He was a good 150 km off the coast raging across stormy waves.

Quote:
And you're doing a great job of matching up the auxiliaries to plausible ship classes - when I first built them, I pretty much designed generic, modern-looking cargo ships instead of going off blueprints. There were only a few exceptions, like the Liberty Ship and T-2 tanker auxiliaries.
I can't really take much credit for giving them real classes. I am using Sailor Steve's list of classes and names as a foundation. In fact, without his list, I don't think I would have had the stomach to even start on this.
Old 04-16-16, 08:10 AM   #20
Von Due
Sea Lord

Done converting all sil.tga files, and made an index of all ships, classnames and displayed names. Made a test slide out sheet.
Started looking at the mechanics.
Managed to create a slide-out for the main page.
Experimenting with menu groups within menu groups and coordinates both for trigger zones and images. Managed to have a 2nd slideout from the slide out main page but the positioning is all wrong. This is confusing to say the least.

One thing: I've read the MenuIniGuide11 and I'm looking at code but I can't for the life of me see how the buttons' functions are defined. I see groups of type 1032 with an ID that is not referred to anywhere else as far as I can tell, with a Menu Group as parent. Can someone shed some light on how one can make custom made buttons for toggling on and off an image?

Another thing: Is there a document on the various types used in menu_1024_768.ini? Some types are commented but their functions are often unclear while other groups I have no idea what do.

Last edited by Von Due; 04-16-16 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 01:38 AM   #21
Von Due
Sea Lord

Stumbled across a possible issue with at least one of the ships in the MFM v3.2.

With map updates enabled, I measured with the ruler the distance to an M32X freighter with a listed mast height of 16m to about 3000m.

Reading the mast angle by the a. scope marks (x12) then first using a calculator, then MaGui's scope wheel both giving the same result, gave me a distance about a 500-1000m short of the real distance. Running the calculations in reverse it gave me a mast height of closer to 12m.

Again, running the calculations in reverse, I calculated where on the scope's markings the mast should have been to match and the result was that no part on the ship matches the result I got. Closest was the top edge of the stripe on the chimney.

Now I was pretty tired and errors can be made but I'm pretty darned sure I got it right, doing the measurements over and over and doing the calculations each time.

This is a problem for any rec manual and I need to set up a test on all the MFM ships to find out what's going on. This will take a good while.
Old 04-18-16, 04:06 AM   #22
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Your calculations are wrong or the mast height in recognition manual is wrong, do not believe on the ships .cfg files from where rec manual take its values.
Measure the ship dimensions on the 3d model with S3D, in engine units. 1 engine unit is 10 meters.
I did that for all ships in my installation, some time ago. For mast height, take in mind the ship draught in the ship .sim file.
Old 04-18-16, 04:15 AM   #23
Von Due
Sea Lord

Thanks, Tycho. This is what worries me a great deal that these values can be arbitrary numbers with no ties to what we see in game. This isn't MFM specific then so I would need to check all 300+ ships now... after learning what S3D is and how to use it.
Old 04-18-16, 05:12 AM   #24
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

S3D - Silent 3ditor by Skwasjer
Old 04-18-16, 05:22 AM   #25
Von Due
Sea Lord

Appreciated.

Methinks this project is becoming a very long term project far more involving than just creating a rec man.

EDIT: The S3D requires a DirX 9 "with Managed Extensions". DirX9 is deprecated and any search on MS's site for managed extensions come up emtpy. A google search revealed a Managed Extensions for C++ however but I am in the dark as to if this is what I need. In any case, that too is deprecated.

I think if I'm to make any headway here then I have no other choice but brute force and lots of time, getting useable data for the rec man by playing the game.

Last edited by Von Due; 04-18-16 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 01:23 PM   #26
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

I recently changed from my legacy XP PC to a quadcore optiplex Windows 7 64-bit. I totally forgot about what I needed for S3D. It is Direct X 9.0c SDK ( develpers kit ) that you need and microsoft still has it for download just got it. S3D is important to any subsimmer even if you just want to inspect a mod to know why/how it works. That is key to new modders continuing work or introducing new ideas that keep this game living. I am busy now if you require a direct link let me know.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 01:34 PM   #27
Von Due
Sea Lord

A link would be MOST appreciated, perhaps with a bit of elementary info on what that SDK involves and if any programming skills are needed and if so, which language? I have only a slightly better than Hello World grasp on C, C++ I know next to nothing about and other languages I know absolutely nothing about except that Moo is a ridiculous language.

Anyway, a resounding yes please to any link and although as of now I'm already swamped with new stuff to learn so any learning how to use that SDK and S3D will have to wait, they're on my radar now.
Old 05-03-16, 06:00 PM   #28
gerhard moncada
Swabbie

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Browsing the web I found these pages from an authentic ship recognition handbook. Now I'm thinking how nice it would be to have a SH3 rec manual in the same format. Exactly how it should be done is up for discussion. Anyone interested in joining in on creating such a handbook for SH3+supermods like GWX and others?
Here the pdf of complet authentic ship recognition handbooks for you idea.
"Anyone interested in joining in on creating such a handbook for SH3+supermods like GWX and others?"

DEUTSCHE REICH:

Weyers Taschenbuch der Kriegsflotte 1940: (96 mb size)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8fat2n8a1m7m4ga/Weyers_Taschenbuch_der_Kriegsflotte_1940.pdf

ALIED FORCES:

Jane Fighting Ships 1942: (49 mb size)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/4pjvc39uaoik5kz/janes_fighting_ships_1942.pdf

Ahoy
gerhard moncada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 06:04 PM   #29
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard moncada View Post
Here the pdf of complet authentic ship recognition handbooks for you idea.
Thanks heaps!