Old 03-31-13, 09:53 AM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
And those of us who believe that pray for you who don't,
Fixed. You believe, and for all I know you may be right, but you only "know" that which you can actually prove. Otherwise it's only belief.

Quote:
because your lives will be so much richer when you do. Are you satisfied with your life yet? Or will you be as soon as you get more goodies?
I did believe, and for a very long time. I slowly came to realize that my life was no better and no worse than it ever was. As for goodies, a great many different faiths have taught since long before Christ that happiness doesn't come from possessions.

While we're on the subject, if you truly believe what Christ taught, why do you play videogames? Why isn't every word that comes out of your keyboard praising God?
Old 03-31-13, 10:00 AM   #17
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

To the Christians here: have a happy Easter.

To the non-Christians, non-religious, etc.: Enjoy this year's annual Zombie Awareness Day.
Old 03-31-13, 10:02 AM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Christ is risen!
I hope that is a good omen for the pizza dough I am preparing for this evening.

Have a joyful holiday everybody.
Old 03-31-13, 10:04 AM   #19
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
To the non-Christians, non-religious, etc.: Enjoy this year's annual Zombie Awareness Day.
At my house we (read: I) call it Yay My Brother-In-Law Smoked A Ham And Invited Me Over Day.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 10:05 AM   #20
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
What Dowly said was clever, but based upon incorrect information, as was Betonov's comment. U Crank got it right.
"Three days and three nights" is said in the Bible, but yes "on the third day" is mentioned more often.

But that's kinda the problem with Bible. Plenty of things contradict each other.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 10:13 AM   #21
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Happy Easter to all my friends in SubSimville.
And FYI, we don't know the exact year, we do know (based on the Jewish calendar) the exact time, day, and month He was crucified and died. Based on "the third day," that gives us the day He is risen. All the Holy Week activities are estimated, but we do know they happened during that week.
Old 03-31-13, 10:14 AM   #22
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
At my house we (read: I) call it Yay My Brother-In-Law Smoked A Ham And Invited Me Over Day.
Back in the old days of nine (9) months ago that is ...

I use to say, "Smoke a J for Jesus"

but now I repented
Old 03-31-13, 10:55 AM   #23
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Thank you, Steve, for your civil and thoughtful response. If I may, I'll try to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Fixed. You believe, and for all I know you may be right, but you only "know" that which you can actually prove. Otherwise it's only belief.
Yes, Steve, it is belief. If we could prove it, there would be no need for belief. If Christ came down to Central Park, cured the sick, and raised the dead live on CNN, there would be no need for belief. And no more free will to believe or not.

Quote:
I did believe, and for a very long time. I slowly came to realize that my life was no better and no worse than it ever was.
I have no way of knowing what you formerly believed, but I suspect it was different from the belief that has changed my life. Or maybe my life was more in need of changing.

Quote:
As for goodies, a great many different faiths have taught since long before Christ that happiness doesn't come from possessions.
Of course there are, although I think "a great many" is a stretch. I can only speak from personal knowledge of the transforming power of Christ. Formerly, I followed the teachings of the Buddha, which is a powerful moral philosophy with much in common with the teachings of Jesus. But I never found a God in Buddhism.

Quote:
While we're on the subject, if you truly believe what Christ taught, why do you play videogames? Why isn't every word that comes out of your keyboard praising God?
First, Jesus never had a problem with people having a good time. His first public miracle was done to keep a party going! (How cool is that?) It is rather the pursuit of good times, to the exclusion of caring for others, that gets us off the track. Second, and more important, if people don't see the impact of Christ in my actions (and too often, I'm sure they don't), my words won't carry much weight. St Francis said: "Preach Christ crucified. Use words when required." My OP was to share the joy I was feeling, not to preach.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 11:22 AM   #24
Garion
Commander

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Christ is risen!
Quick someone go tell Mary Magdalene, this will bring a smile to her face...

Cheers

Gary
Garion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 11:34 AM   #25
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Oh boy, I better get my popcorn...

Or better yet, the ham and horseradish
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 11:36 AM   #26
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Thank you, Steve, for your civil and thoughtful response. If I may, I'll try to respond.
And thank you for your own civility, and for understanding that I wasn't trying to criticize you or your faith.

Quote:
Yes, Steve, it is belief. If we could prove it, there would be no need for belief. If Christ came down to Central Park, cured the sick, and raised the dead live on CNN, there would be no need for belief. And no more free will to believe or not.
That's a good point. Of course afterward there would still be many who did not believe, but that's another story.

Quote:
I have no way of knowing what you formerly believed, but I suspect it was different from the belief that has changed my life. Or maybe my life was more in need of changing.
No, it was the same. I believed my life truly was changed, but over time I began to see that there were things about me that were no different. I suffer from maladies that my faith couldn't cure. It's not something I want to go into in this current thread, but I'm a true sceptic. I question everything, including the questioners. I came to realize that I truly don't know anything, and I can't see that anyone else does either.

I still admit the possibility of the truth of the Gospel, but I also admit a lot of other possibilities. I'm not a believer, but I'm not a disbeliever either.

Quote:
Of course there are, although I think "a great many" is a stretch. I can only speak from personal knowledge of the transforming power of Christ. Formerly, I followed the teachings of the Buddha, which is a powerful moral philosophy with much in common with the teachings of Jesus. But I never found a God in Buddhism.
Well put, and you may be right about "a great many".

Quote:
First, Jesus never had a problem with people having a good time. His first public miracle was done to keep a party going! (How cool is that?) It is rather the pursuit of good times, to the exclusion of caring for others, that gets us off the track.
Good point, and the best I've yet heard it said. When I believed I saw anything not directly related to God as a diversion. I realized I needed those diversions, so I had a painful dichotomy. On the one hand it's easy to say "God made me this way. I should enjoy it." On the other I realized I could also say that about the evil temptations as well. For me it was always an uphill struggle.

Quote:
Second, and more important, if people don't see the impact of Christ in my actions (and too often, I'm sure they don't), my words won't carry much weight. St Francis said: "Preach Christ crucified. Use words when required." My OP was to share the joy I was feeling, not to preach.
Thank you for that. I didn't want to distract from the point of this thread, but the word "know" always gets a rise out of me. The thread is about Easter, and that should be honored without argument. I honor your faith, and I hope it continues to serve you well.
Old 03-31-13, 11:40 AM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Happy Easter.
Bigwalleye, I love your attitude :thumbup:
Old 03-31-13, 12:24 PM   #28
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Have a great Easter everyone...whatever your beliefs

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 12:35 PM   #29
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Happy Easter.
Bigwalleye, I love your attitude :thumbup:
Indeed so, well written Bigwalleye, and very civilly put.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 03:38 PM   #30
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Steve, thank you for the dialog. Much appreciated. Peace be with you and with everyone at the SubSim forum.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote