SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-19, 04:49 PM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Realism

I have watched a number of documentaries about WW2 submarine warfare in the Pacific and have also read a number of books on the same subject. When I try some of the attacks like I've seen other use, SH4 never has the same results. For instance, it seems in real life, Skippers stayed on the surface until approx 4000 yds from the enemy without being seen - I believe they were running decks awash and they seldom get spotted. If I try that, they're on me from 6000 yds or more! All this before I fire a shot. Am I misinterpreting what I've seen/read or doing something wrong? I am using SH4 v 1.4 w/no mods at the moment.
TIA
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 09:56 AM   #2
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
I have watched a number of documentaries about WW2 submarine warfare in the Pacific and have also read a number of books on the same subject. When I try some of the attacks like I've seen other use, SH4 never has the same results. For instance, it seems in real life, Skippers stayed on the surface until approx 4000 yds from the enemy without being seen - I believe they were running decks awash and they seldom get spotted. If I try that, they're on me from 6000 yds or more! All this before I fire a shot. Am I misinterpreting what I've seen/read or doing something wrong? I am using SH4 v 1.4 w/no mods at the moment.
TIA
I don't think you are doing anything wrong, but "wrong" in the real world is different than "wrong" in SH4. The developers apparently gave the AI Super Sensors and Super Sight. You are at distinct disadvantage by approaching within their super sensor range even at night, so I advise against it, realistic or not.

You may want to consider checking out the Beta version of FOTRS-Ultimate, currently in a testing and evolutionary state, but nearing completion as far as I can tell. You still can't brazenly attack on the surface, regardless of weather, time of day, or sea conditions. Japanese gunners, even on merchant men, are deadly from the first shot on. The mod team is fine tuning the sensor ranges, etc. but one should always be wary of the foe in this game, especially as the war progresses.

Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 02:10 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

True datt tb... CapnScurvy wrassled with the AI sensors practically the entire time the FotRSU mod has been in the oven, and it seems that the way the game is made, you can either have good night surface attacks for the submarine, but have enemy AI that can't see a sub from 2500 yards during good-visibility daylight - nor can the ships shoot at each other across distance - they can't "see" each other. Or you can have ships duking it out at about 12,500 yards, yet the AI visual is also able to see a sub's periscope at night from 5500 yards... I exaggerate some, but not by much... - very frustrating. Multiple combinations of the various files were attempted.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote