Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-19, 06:29 PM   #1
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Default US intercepts Russian bombers, fighter jets off the coast of Alaska

Quote:
Washington (CNN)US F-22 stealth jets intercepted four Russian bombers and two Russian Su-35 fighter jets off the coast of Alaska on Monday, according to a statement from North American Aerospace Defense Command.

The Russian nuclear capable long-range bombers flew into the Air Defense Identification Zone, which extends approximately 200 miles off Alaska's western coast.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/21/p...ept/index.html

Aggressive.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 06:34 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I wonder why we are responding with our LO aircraft instead of more traditional interceptors.

I wonder how much the Russians learned about these jets in this exercise?

They send up older aircraft and we send up our newer aircraft. Does not seem like an equatable intelligence exchange.
Old 05-21-19, 06:38 PM   #3
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I wonder why we are responding with our LO aircraft instead of more traditional interceptors.
They send up older aircraft and we send up our newer aircraft. Does not seem like an equatable intelligence exchange.
Because F22A has supercruise and in general is the best interceptor US has kinematics wise. It is also deployed in the right place (Alaska).

Not more than we did in Syria (where F22A were used by USAF) and over many previous missions near to Alaska. Depending on the F22A loadout they can carry special lenses that bloom their radar signature, and make it difficult for the external observer to determine the orginal radar signature of an aircraft.

Tu95MSs are younger airframes than B52Hs currently in use by USAF. Su35S airframes are younger than the F22A airframes currently use by USAF.
Old 05-21-19, 06:40 PM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Compare and contrast this with USAF deploying 6 (?) nuclear capable (they are visually identifiable via fins) B52Hs into exercises over Baltic, which is closer to Russian heartland than Alaskan ADIZ is to the US heartland. That ADIZ is a big place and is, ehem, close to Russia.

Last edited by ikalugin; 05-21-19 at 07:01 PM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 06:43 PM   #5
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

They dispatch, very likely whats available.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 06:59 PM   #6
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

You can ask why they are deployed in Alaska. I wonder if it has something to do with how Alaska is on the shortest routes to CONUS over the Arctic.
Old 05-21-19, 07:20 PM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

If I had to guess I'd say those old bombers were equipped with special surveillance equipment.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 03:07 AM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

They are not old bombers. They are around 20-30-40 (B52 production 1952-1962, Tu95MS were all newly built planes with production 1979-1995) years younger than B52Hs.
Nor are they obsolete due to the ability to carry an 8 missile load of 5500km ranged ALCM on the MSM mod.

And there are no indicators that they are so equipped. Probably because between cyber, HUMINT, air shows, years of previous flights to Alaska and F22A operations in the areas of Syria covered by our radar we got all the data we need on this plane that was 15 years in service.

Last edited by ikalugin; 05-22-19 at 03:17 AM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 05:22 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:

Good point

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 01:07 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

MY IMPRESSION IS: EVERYONE'S 'PLAYING NICE'; SHOWING OFF THEIR HARDWARE/TOYS; AND IT'S 'BUSINESS AS USUAL'....FOR THE MOMENT
Quote:
NORAD said, adding that "the Russian bombers and fighters remained in international airspace and at no time did the aircraft enter United States or Canadian sovereign airspace."
US officials say Russian bombers and jets have flown in the area several times a year for the last few years and have similarly been intercepted by US or Canadian jets operating as part of NORAD.
"NORAD's top priority is defending Canada and the United States. Our ability to deter and defeat threats to our citizens, vital infrastructure, and national institutions starts with successfully detecting, tracking, and positively identifying aircraft of interest approaching U.S. and Canadian airspace," Gen. Terrence J. O'Shaughnessy, the commander of NORAD, said in a statement.
"Patrols by Russian military aircraft off the coasts of the United States and Canada have grown increasingly complex in recent years," O'Shaughnessy said in written testimony submitted to Congress earlier this month.
He wrote that the bomber patrols were a "highly visible" message intended "to underscore Russia's capabilities" and develop "a new generation of air crews," adding that "NORAD fighter aircraft routinely intercept Russian military aviation missions inside the US and Canadian Air Defense Identification Zones, and there is no indication that Russian leadership intends to reduce the number of these missions in the near future."

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 01:32 PM   #11
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

The US should demand to know if they were loaded with nuclear weapons by our diplomats ... this is completely unacceptable even in cold war.

I lack wisdom what to do after that
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 01:44 PM   #12
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Like Aktungbby wrote, and I would not believe anything of what CNN or other media try to sell us.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 04:26 PM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
The US should demand to know if they were loaded with nuclear weapons by our diplomats ... this is completely unacceptable even in cold war.

Does the US fly aircraft with nuclear weapons loaded?
Old 05-22-19, 06:06 PM   #14
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:

Quote:
Does the US fly aircraft with nuclear weapons loaded?
While it is not known for certain if either Russian Tu95MS or the US B52H bombers were actually loaded with nuclear weapons* both types were certainly nuclear capable**.

Should Russia demand to know if USAF bombers operating in close proximity to it's core cities were actually loaded with nuclear weapons? Would it be acceptable for the USAF to fly such loaded bombers in such an area?

* They probably did not carry any actual nuclear weapons due to those flights being exercises with health/safety concerns and security being fairly tight.
** All Russian Tu95MS are nuclear capable, the US B52H that participated in the Baltic exercises had the externally identifiable fins that indicate that they are the nuclear capable variant - this is a part of the new START treaty control and verification regime.
Old 05-23-19, 06:21 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:

How could either side believe one another even if an answer was given?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote