SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-16, 01:45 PM   #1
Uboat177
Mate

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0
Default Loading external torpedo, aircraft spotted, dive or flak?

Hello,

I just wanted to know what would be the proper historically accurate response for enemy aircraft appearing when loading external torpedo reserves. I just had this happen to me while playing. Do you man the flak gun and duke it out? Or crash dive? Wouldn't the torpedo be lost?

I honestly don't know the background behind all this. In game, I simply stop the boat at night in calm seas when loading external torpedoes.

Uboat177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 03:46 PM   #2
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

In game and historically (I believe) diving was the number one way to deal with planes. That is, until the order came to engage planes but that turned out to be a less than brilliant plan. Even their attempts at a Flak boat turned into a near disaster.

My 2 bits: Dive flank speed if you can. Better to lose an hour of work than the entire boat. If you can't coz of shallow waters then man the guns, shoot like a maniac and head for deeper water.

For loading externals, I usually wait for night time (until later in the war) or rain/fog. You have to surface to recharge the batteries and to replenish the oxygen, so that would be a good time too. If you have to surface, might as well do the reloading then. Any plane appearing would have appeared anyway. Good thing too reloading while surfaced won't attract unwanted attention from destroyers if they can't see you.

The number one challenge for me anyway is the crew gets exhausted quickly reloading torpedos but a petty officer or two with the right medals works wonders.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 06:14 PM   #3
Uboat177
Mate

Downloads: 138

Hello,

Thanks for the response. You're right, it wasn't smart of me to risk the boat for a torpedo. I will default to diving in the future should it happen again.

Uboat177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-16, 04:17 PM   #4
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

I think that a historically accurate response would depend on how far along in the extraction and loading process you were. Extraction of the external spares was a tedious and time consuming activity, which includes removal of the deck grating, setting up the block and tackle, opening the pressure tube, attaching the winch mechanism, opening the torpedo loading hatch, pulling it all the way out, and then (gently, because those things are heavy) lowering the eel into the boat. Then you have to seal up the hatches, stow the harness and tackle away, then put the grates back down. I suppose if you just started the process, it would be easy enough to abort and crash dive to safety, but if not, then yes, historically you may have to kick the spare over the side, seal the loading hatch as fast as possible, and *then* crash dive. I used to load my external spares in all weather and sea states, but now I limit myself to only when seas are 10m/s or less. If aircraft catch me on the surface, and I am able, then I will attempt to hold the planes at bay with my AA guns, until the loading process is finished. it can be a nail biting, edge of the seat experience...
Old 09-23-16, 09:05 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's even worse than that, because loading any torpedoes requires absolute calm. Loading externals should be done in a flat sea, at a standstill. If you run the boat up to full speed to evade planes you might as well be diving, because the torpedo is not going to sit still.

That's another thing the game doesn't take into account. In real life they would fire off as many torpedoes as needed, If it was a convoy you would shoot your load and then dive. If nobody chased you, you might start reloading the internals, but never if a destroyer gave chase. You can't be hoisting a ton of steel with chains while the boat is maneuvering wildly. It's either wait until you're absolutely safe or don't reload.
Old 09-25-16, 11:18 PM   #6
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

And any captain who tries rushing the loading process, or in rough or violent seas, runs the risk of injuring the crew/torpedo mechanics with broken or crushed hands or fingers, or bad cuts or lacerations, which of course will put a later strain on the rest of the healthy crew as they now have to work harder to pick up the slack. I guess we should be glad that they don't model that aspect either...
Old 09-26-16, 03:48 PM   #7
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

"Loading external torpedo, aircraft spotted, dive or flak?"

Let's see: Can't dive with guys on deck. Can't dodge an attacking plane at night while sitting still.

How about KYAGB?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 04:31 PM   #8
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

I'm with Walleye on this one! After '41 I usually just ignore externals. If I do reload them, it is when I'm out of range of allied air cover.