SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-06, 05:26 PM   #31
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

I see you've finished a new model of the Fort Sands class freighter - very good. Not only a nice-looking model, but also a good choice of ship as well. Not only is it a mass-produced freighter that would have been common after its production, but it is also quite generic looking and thus is representative of heavy freighters in general. Try not to make the same mistake as the SHIII Dev Team, who included ugly and boxy looking C2s and C3s which looked nothing like the vast majority of WWII-era merchant vessels and instead resemble a modern container ship with a midships superstructure instead of an aft one.

I also like the screenshots of your new Liberty Ship - no SubSim is complete without Liberty Ships. I must have another try at the game to see if I can sink one later.

I guess you will be disposing of that extremely low-poly 'AOD' white freighter now that you have two of the same class. If I were you though, I would provide a high-quality texture for that O class DD you included in the latest version as it is a pretty good model for now.

Still working on the Z38 DD, Flower Corvette, and Victory Frieghter?

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 02:50 AM   #32
rconstruct
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Hi
Work is underway atm in the Flower class corvette. Skins aren't supported atm, but, most models already have several textures/skins ready for implementation. I mentioned this, because, for instance, the Liberty ship models and the North Sands class merchants (aka the Fort Ships), there were actual geometrical differences between the variants, so, you had different ship configurations during the war (AA guns, closed cabins, etc...), so, what's going on is this. We build 3, 4 versions of the model, the ones that represent the most important variations, and then, for each variation, we make a couple of skins. The exception to this, is warships, for instance, the Flower class corvette. I noticed already that there are 3, 4 main ship configurations, with _tons_ of differences (they're still flower class corvettes tough).

On top of this, you had color schemes that were dependent on theater of operations, and period of war. So, to solve this, there will be dynamic skins in-game. A Royal Navy Flower class corvette, in 1943, in the mediterranean, will be a slightly different model, and a totally different color scheme, than a Canadian Navy Flower class corvette, in the north atlantic, in 1942.

This applies to all warships, there are skins in place already for the Tribal destroyer already, and in the uboat models, there are already 12 skins in place, for different theater of operations + periods of war. Add to this, model variations, not only uboat type variations, for instance, Type VIIC, VIID, etc..., and the different conning tower configurations, and there's lots of variety. One of the goals is, in the campaign mode, for you to have a uboat insignia as well.

As for the North Sands class, there are 4 variations. 2 variations, the 1941 and 1943 models, are relatively similar, altough they still have tons of differences in geometry, and obviously color schemes, but, the most relevant changes are in the other 2 variations. One was radically changed, to resemble a pre-war freighter, the Nolisciv (i think i got the name right), and the other, was a North Sands class, under the Royal Navy flag/colors (not Merchant Marine then, there were several flags as i'm sure everyone here knows), and this modification is a CAM-ship, complete with a Hawker SeaHurricane.

I noticed the RN, was in a hurry to solve the Fw200 Condor problem, and just took some merchant vessels and adapted them for this CAM-ship solution. I've seen already 3 different freighter types used as CAM ships, one of them, was very very similar to the North Sands freighter. So, altough i'm not 100% sure they adapted a couple of North Sands freighters for this purpose, from the photos i've seen, it looks just like a North Sands (there are other types as well, which i couldn't identify, some sort of coastal medium freighters, but a couple of CAM ships definitively look like North Sands freighters).

Anyway, about progresses in-game, the main developer just returned from Laboe and Bremerhaven, with hundreds of MBs of the U-995 TypeVII and U-2540 TypeXXI, so, lots of work going on, as usual. New control screen for TypeVII uboat in-place, new engine funcionality, etc...
This is still work in-progress, and in fact, this wasn't comitted to CVS yet because there are a couple of issues to solve.

Sonar code, GHG, KDB, BG in place, the sonarman is being worked on, an AI controlled sonar assistent, for players that don't want to learn the intrincancies of those devices (in fact, the GHG, KDB, and BG simulation was so accurate, that we ran into the problems that the Kriegsmarine had with those devices in WW2, particularly, flickering in the detection, caused by the phase misalignement of each hydrophone's sin function (which was caused by a not 100% acurate delay introduced in the strip line condensator array), and sidelobes, problems that seem to be present up to this day in passive sonar/hydrophone arrays equipment)).
Basically that's it, tons of heavy work as usual, but a new release should be out in a couple of monthes.

I take this chance to post here some screenshots, not everyone is familiar, or willing, to do a cvs checkout, and compile (and solve potential problems) code, so, here are some screenshots of the latest models.

The Flower class corvette isn't in-game atm, i still need to UV map it ( :sigh: )
One note about the Liberty ships, and North Sands freighters. These screenshots are from the different variants. This means that there will be more skins for each variant.
As for the CAM ship, same thing, there will be a couple more CAM ships, based on different vessel types.
This post is long already, so to finish it, any suggestions regarding more freighter types? I really didn't wanted to model C2/C3 freighters, these would be the type of models i would leave to the end.
What freighters/merchant vessels/tankers/whatever, are also representative of ww2 era, besides the Liberty Ship and the Forth Ships for instance?
Anyone recomends any particular freighter type from the 1930-1945 era ?
Any reference material for this would be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: i hope it's ok the post of the screenshots thumbnails, i wasn't sure if i should just paste the url of the image, or the url imageshack referenced with the thumbnails...

P.P.S.: note the sea life incrustations in the hull, at and below the waterline. You can always use the clams as an aiming point for the torpedos eheheheh
rconstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 09:33 PM   #33
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Finding good blueprints for WW2 merchant shipping can be difficult, but if you are going to make some generic vessels they can be composite designs of several historically accurate models. Of course you already know about uboat.net, but maybe I can recommend some typical deisngs from that site (as I have looked at every single merchant picture that is on there).

This is one example. Observe the ships in the following links, if you have a few minutes (I have not posted their images, as they would take up too much space). These vessels are not all from the same class, but they are all of an extremely similar design. They all have a straight bow, split mid deckhouse, tall thin funnel, lowered aft and forward deck instead of a raised forcastle, and a similar crane design (one thick mast in the centre, with four booms attached on either side). They are also all in the 4000-6000 GRT range, I think. These are the kinds of patterns which you would need to look for when making some generic merchants, IMO.

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/842.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/2168.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/860.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1531.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/2348.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/837.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1250.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/15.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1649.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1950.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/14.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/1162.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/745.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/985.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/269.html

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/783.html

Also, if I can throw in some more suggestions, you should add some coastal craft eventually. These could include two types of tugboats (a smaller harbour tug and a larger ocean going tug) and one or two fishing boats.

These are just some suggestions that I thought I could make - I realize that you have limited resources and cannot implement everything right away and have to make your own decisions about what to model and include. Just trying to help a bit.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-06, 03:16 AM   #34
rconstruct
Seaman

Hi
Thanks for the uboat.net URLs, altough i know the site, i didn't know those particular urls, and i think i can adapt some models to look like some of those ships.
Regarding coastal boats, we'll get there eventually, i already gathered some data
That's pretty much it, as you mentioned, blueprints are hard to come by, if anyone finds any blueprints/schematics of civilian pre-ww2 and ww2 era ships, that would be a great help (it's hard to extrapolate into actual geometry a couple of photos, and even with tons of photos as reference, schematics always help sorting out the details).
That's pretty much it, stay tuned
Old 11-04-07, 09:02 PM   #35
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconstruct
Hi
Work is underway atm in the Flower class corvette. Skins aren't supported atm, but, most models already have several textures/skins ready for implementation. I mentioned this, because, for instance, the Liberty ship models and the North Sands class merchants (aka the Fort Ships), there were actual geometrical differences between the variants, so, you had different ship configurations during the war (AA guns, closed cabins, etc...), so, what's going on is this. We build 3, 4 versions of the model, the ones that represent the most important variations, and then, for each variation, we make a couple of skins. The exception to this, is warships, for instance, the Flower class corvette. I noticed already that there are 3, 4 main ship configurations, with _tons_ of differences (they're still flower class corvettes tough).

On top of this, you had color schemes that were dependent on theater of operations, and period of war. So, to solve this, there will be dynamic skins in-game. A Royal Navy Flower class corvette, in 1943, in the mediterranean, will be a slightly different model, and a totally different color scheme, than a Canadian Navy Flower class corvette, in the north atlantic, in 1942.

This applies to all warships, there are skins in place already for the Tribal destroyer already, and in the uboat models, there are already 12 skins in place, for different theater of operations + periods of war. Add to this, model variations, not only uboat type variations, for instance, Type VIIC, VIID, etc..., and the different conning tower configurations, and there's lots of variety. One of the goals is, in the campaign mode, for you to have a uboat insignia as well.

As for the North Sands class, there are 4 variations. 2 variations, the 1941 and 1943 models, are relatively similar, altough they still have tons of differences in geometry, and obviously color schemes, but, the most relevant changes are in the other 2 variations. One was radically changed, to resemble a pre-war freighter, the Nolisciv (i think i got the name right), and the other, was a North Sands class, under the Royal Navy flag/colors (not Merchant Marine then, there were several flags as i'm sure everyone here knows), and this modification is a CAM-ship, complete with a Hawker SeaHurricane.

I noticed the RN, was in a hurry to solve the Fw200 Condor problem, and just took some merchant vessels and adapted them for this CAM-ship solution. I've seen already 3 different freighter types used as CAM ships, one of them, was very very similar to the North Sands freighter. So, altough i'm not 100% sure they adapted a couple of North Sands freighters for this purpose, from the photos i've seen, it looks just like a North Sands (there are other types as well, which i couldn't identify, some sort of coastal medium freighters, but a couple of CAM ships definitively look like North Sands freighters).

Anyway, about progresses in-game, the main developer just returned from Laboe and Bremerhaven, with hundreds of MBs of the U-995 TypeVII and U-2540 TypeXXI, so, lots of work going on, as usual. New control screen for TypeVII uboat in-place, new engine funcionality, etc...
This is still work in-progress, and in fact, this wasn't comitted to CVS yet because there are a couple of issues to solve.

Sonar code, GHG, KDB, BG in place, the sonarman is being worked on, an AI controlled sonar assistent, for players that don't want to learn the intrincancies of those devices (in fact, the GHG, KDB, and BG simulation was so accurate, that we ran into the problems that the Kriegsmarine had with those devices in WW2, particularly, flickering in the detection, caused by the phase misalignement of each hydrophone's sin function (which was caused by a not 100% acurate delay introduced in the strip line condensator array), and sidelobes, problems that seem to be present up to this day in passive sonar/hydrophone arrays equipment)).
Basically that's it, tons of heavy work as usual, but a new release should be out in a couple of monthes.

I take this chance to post here some screenshots, not everyone is familiar, or willing, to do a cvs checkout, and compile (and solve potential problems) code, so, here are some screenshots of the latest models.

The Flower class corvette isn't in-game atm, i still need to UV map it ( :sigh: )
One note about the Liberty ships, and North Sands freighters. These screenshots are from the different variants. This means that there will be more skins for each variant.
As for the CAM ship, same thing, there will be a couple more CAM ships, based on different vessel types.
This post is long already, so to finish it, any suggestions regarding more freighter types? I really didn't wanted to model C2/C3 freighters, these would be the type of models i would leave to the end.
What freighters/merchant vessels/tankers/whatever, are also representative of ww2 era, besides the Liberty Ship and the Forth Ships for instance?
Anyone recomends any particular freighter type from the 1930-1945 era ?
Any reference material for this would be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: i hope it's ok the post of the screenshots thumbnails, i wasn't sure if i should just paste the url of the image, or the url imageshack referenced with the thumbnails...

P.P.S.: note the sea life incrustations in the hull, at and below the waterline. You can always use the clams as an aiming point for the torpedos eheheheh

Those look great! Where can you download this at?
Old 11-05-07, 03:14 AM   #36
Janus
XO

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/download.html
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 06:20 PM   #37
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/download.html
Okay, I downloaded it. It looks great, but it crashes when you go to run the game. I tried running it in all the different modes, but it crashes. It does run doesn't it? It looks so beautiful.
Old 11-07-07, 12:36 AM   #38
rconstruct
Seaman

Hi

Lots of work lately...
Well, it should run
What graphic card are you using, and what OS? If you're using windows, i'm not sure the packager made an static binary or a dynamic one, with all the necessary dll's (fftw3, libSDL, libSDL_image, etc...).
99.9% of the problems reported are related to ATI and Intel cards.
ATI problems because aparently they have a bug (this applies to OSX ATI drivers as well - the OSX maintainer was trying a build and couldn't solve this, and after posting at apple's opengl/developers mailing list, it was confirmed that ATI drivers have a problem with GLSL syntax).
On windows, there was a problem as well. Altough the GLSL shaders were (and are) 100% correct, and GLSL validation tools reported a 100% correct syntax (GLSLvalidate from 3dlabs, Apple's GLSL validation tool), the shaders just fail to compile.
The solution to this problem is, if you can start dftd, at least to get to the main menu, to disable GLSL shaders and HQSFX in Options>Misc.
If you can't, you should have a configuration file, i'm not sure where this is placed in Windows, perhaps one of the windows users can help? Documents & Settings/Username/dangerdeep ?
If you find that file, it's a text file, you can just replace use_shaders = "yes" to "no", same for water_shaders, and hqsfx (periscope blur effects, some other graphics details).

The other problems are ATI not supporting some older cards, and the game requires at least OpenGL 2.0 to run. Newer generations have OpenGL 2.1 support, on Apple they have OpenGL 2.0 iirc, but still, ATI is a neverending source of problems.

As for intel onboard graphics. I don't think they support OpenGL 1.5. The minimum requirement to run dangerdeep with fixed pipeline, is OpenGL 1.5. To run it with GLSL shaders, it's OpenGL 2.0.
So, you can try to check your driver information to see if the OpenGL version matches. As we all use nvidia, atm it's what's 100% foolproof - it's a voluntary project, done in our spare time, and we just can't support everything. If some C/C++ developer with OpenGL knowledge, and an ATI and/or Intel card, wants to check it out and try and see what's wrong, we would apretiate it.
I hope this helped. You can check out our forums at dangerdeep.net as well, perhaps you can find some help there, there were a couple of threads related to ATI as well.

Since i'm here, just an information > work is underway in the new physics, new boyancy is implemented, altough it still needs work for uboats (to be able to control ballasts and trim tanks, flood tanks, blow tanks, etc... as well as a screen/station for this). Work is underway in the soldbuch screen, which is the initial part of the career mode, some work done also to support insignias, uboat and flotilla.
And new models, J, K, L and O class destroyers, as well as 2 new CAM ships, HMS Empire Faith and HMS Empire Lawrence (totally unrelated to the CAM ship based on the North Sands class we have). Work is finished to support per-uboat type bridge models & camera settings, so things are moving, slowly, but moving

That's it, stay tuned.
Old 12-24-07, 06:54 AM   #39
kriller2
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 19
Default at last I could run the game

I changed the config to not use the shaders and now it works but I can't force the game to run with shaders on my radeon x1950 which should be opengl 2.1, that's a shame, because it looks very good. Keep up the good work.

Real Environment mod

and Pacific Enviroments 4 mod
kriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 05:29 PM   #40
america person
Gunner

This looks very cool and am downloading now

Guess the current release is .30?

AP
america person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 08:57 AM   #41
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller2
I changed the config to not use the shaders and now it works but I can't force the game to run with shaders on my radeon x1950 which should be opengl 2.1, that's a shame, because it looks very good. Keep up the good work.
Kriller2, download the freeware program glview. It will give you precise and very detailed information on the status of various opengl 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.0 and 2.1 driver compliance.

I have a x1950pro with catalyst 7.10 installed on my system, and glview tells me that the drivers are 100% opengl 2.0 and 33% opengl 2.1 compliant.
Of the opengl 2.1 specification, the drivers implement only one function (GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object) while the other two funtions (shading language version 1.20 and GL_EXT_texture_sRGB) are not yet implemented.

Its a pity that the developers of danger from the deep didn't take into account that ATi has not yet implemented full shading language 1.20.
Thats why the game crashes on Ati cards and you have to disable shaders.
Now if they could provide backwards compatibility with shading language 1.10 (which is fully supported on the opengl 2.0 specification) Ati cards wouldn't have problems.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 09:15 AM   #42
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222

Yes it looks good from the screenshots, I downloaded it but it partially runs, I can select options from the main screen, I can get the gauges and map screens but once I select another view it crashes.

I have an on board graphics card and running Windows XP core-duo, 4 gig of ram, perhaps my card isn't up for the job, I hope to get e new and faster PC in the near future.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 07:56 PM   #43
DeepIron
Sea Lord

It looks very promisng, but crashes after I get to the missions screen... just vanishes without triggering a trappable error.... I do OpenGL programming and my nVidia card supports OGL 2.1, checked with glview as kriller2 has posted.

I had some interest in basing a OpenSource Pacific Theatre WWII sim (like SH4) on the engine (with completely different graphic resources of course) but I think I'll wait until the next version release...

Keep at it guys!
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 07:11 AM   #44
Gregarius
Nub

Downloads: 6
Hello, everybody! Did anyone had problems with account registration on Danger from the Deep forum? I filled in an application form, recived a mail, where was a phrase about effect that an admin ought activate my account and nothing more. That was on the third of april, today - sixth of april. Is it usual? I tried to send a PM to rconstruct but still nothing...
Gregarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 04:59 AM   #45
Kapt. Q
Watch

Downloads: 38
Default What's going on

Is DftD still an on going development or has it been abandoned? The forum over there doesn't work and the news stops mid last year.
Kapt. Q is offline   Reply With Quote