SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-17, 08:24 AM   #1
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Still Land Attack Woes

Running a 688 with VLS in the 2004 campaign mod. Land attack missions easier to get the missiles away... but still need some tweaks. Ordered to attack Gremikha. While enroute, encountered two nuke boats, within the specified 100 miles of Gremikha in the mission orders. Sank both, but didn't esc out of the encounter. Checked range to target - well within 100 miles. Launched all TLAMs. All hit. But when I esc out I got no credit for the land attack. Mission failed. C'mon guys - we can do better.
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 08:47 AM   #2
stratege1401
Watch

Downloads: 16

one of the objectif i guess was to remain undetected ... sinking two nuke sub is not. objectif fail.
Old 10-01-17, 12:00 PM   #3
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Can the OP confirm one of the objectives is to remain undetected?
Impossible to remain undetected while launching VLS.

It should be possible to sink vessels and not have your sub targeted.
-Pv-

Last edited by -Pv-; 10-03-17 at 10:21 PM.
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 02:24 AM   #4
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57
Default Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratege1401 View Post
one of the objectif i guess was to remain undetected ... sinking two nuke sub is not. objectif fail.
Agreed. However, that is stated in all orders in all missions -- either remain undetected and or avoid ASW patrols. If that is an actual parameter then it should be "spelled out." Otherwise, as noted by Old Man, you are detected as soon as you launch. So, if detection after launch is permissible then, again, such things should be coded in the mission and that made clear in the mission orders.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 07:59 AM   #5
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I am not sure, but I escaped out pretty quickly on a Gremika TLAM mission. The ESC page said the TLAM strike was completed 8 for 8 but I got a mission failure. I wondered if my TLAMs actually struck in the quickness of my ESC from the mission.

It made me wonder how long the TLAMs take to fly the distance so that I need to stay in the mission until they actually hit the target. Should I wait?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 03:02 PM   #6
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I wondered if my TLAMs actually struck in the quickness of my ESC from the mission.
Should I wait?
Short answer yes

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 08:57 PM   #7
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Normally, I sit and reload tubes after every mission. If I remember correctly, I did not have anything nearby.

Maybe I should play some chess with the XO before ESCing out.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 03:27 PM   #8
-Pv-
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralGamer View Post
Short answer yes
Is that "yes" to BOTH questions?
-Pv-
Old 10-03-17, 09:07 PM   #9
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

The mission is stealth. get in and avoid all contacts, including mine fields. When the coast is clear (no contacts in sight,fire and after all missiles have hit you can either leave the mission by the escape key, or fight your way out. Press F3 to make sure your last missile hit.

I agree with you PV.

If you want a shooting contest the MPA and Helos plus the warships will be all over you in shallow water.

is the best!!!

Last edited by GeneralGamer; 10-03-17 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 10:22 PM   #10
-Pv-
The Old Man

So, Stealth until missile are fired, then the stealth restriction is lifted?
-Pv-
Old 10-03-17, 11:10 PM   #11
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
So, Stealth until missile are fired, then the stealth restriction is lifted?
-Pv-
I wasn't clear on my answer. Sorry. My bad. Stealth isn't essential...unless the updates changed the requirements.

However once you are detected it's almost impossible to fire the missiles and avoid all the MPA's, Helos and Warships, so yes, stealth is better to get into position.

I also found you can end the mission right after the last missile hit's (unless there are aircraft near, etc. You still have to leave the area, but at least you have all your weapons to use, to accomplish it. To me it's better to have all your weapons trying to get out of the zone than use them to get into the harbor.

I'm not saying you can't kill a Warship if he gets to close (going in) but if your position is reported and or discovered, it's way more difficult to fire missiles. In other words you can try any way that you think will work for you. I like the stealth way, It avoids possible complications

Here is an older Specops mission that is a good example of what I'm trying to say. No missiles but the stealth is well illustrated. I hope it helps, until I can do another TLAM mission.

is the best!!!

Old 10-04-17, 12:09 AM   #12
-Pv-
The Old Man

The devs seem be trying to make stealth harder, so keeping my ear to the ground on this one.
-Pv-
Old 10-04-17, 12:31 AM   #13
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Stealth is no longer a factor in Land Strike and Insertion mission success.

The issue the OP had was they they encountered an ASW patrol close to Gremikha. So this spawns a combat mission.

At the end of this combat, the OP sees that he is within striking distance of Gremikha and lets the TLAMs away. Only problem is that this is a combat mission, NOT the land strike mission. So the TLAM launches don't count.

Had the OP left combat, sailed closer to Gremikha they would have got another briefing stating "We are in the deployment zone", at which point they could fire the TLAMs without an issue. In addition, when pressing escape, they would also see the end mission menu stating whether the land strike was successful or not.

This is a limitation of the way we generate separate combat and player missions from the strategic map. We've tried to make it clearer with the "We are in the deployment zone" message in the briefing along with the exit mission menu stating whether a land strike was completed or not. But clearly this is not sufficient.

Ultimately the solution will be to merge the actual player mission success parameters into other mission types such that if they are ever met, the mission is a success, regardless of whether the player is actually on that mission or not. This is a complex feature though.
Old 10-04-17, 01:11 AM   #14
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
Stealth is no longer a factor in Land Strike and Insertion mission success.

The issue the OP had was they they encountered an ASW patrol close to Gremikha. So this spawns a combat mission.

At the end of this combat, the OP sees that he is within striking distance of Gremikha and lets the TLAMs away. Only problem is that this is a combat mission, NOT the land strike mission. So the TLAM launches don't count.

Had the OP left combat, sailed closer to Gremikha they would have got another briefing stating "We are in the deployment zone", at which point they could fire the TLAMs without an issue. In addition, when pressing escape, they would also see the end mission menu stating whether the land strike was successful or not.

This is a limitation of the way we generate separate combat and player missions from the strategic map. We've tried to make it clearer with the "We are in the deployment zone" message in the briefing along with the exit mission menu stating whether a land strike was completed or not. But clearly this is not sufficient.

Ultimately the solution will be to merge the actual player mission success parameters into other mission types such that if they are ever met, the mission is a success, regardless of whether the player is actually on that mission or not. This is a complex feature though.
I have the latest update and just tried the strike from the sea mission. I made it out alive but there is still a circle as before in the mission. Is that the deployment zone, or is that where you shoot your TLAMS into?

Or is the single mission different than the campaign missions?

Now I'm confused lol

Thanks

is the best!!!

Old 10-04-17, 02:47 AM   #15
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57

Ditto, above. I've encountered what KFG states and now understand. Still, can be a bit confusing when not totally immersed in the game. But, sounds like KFG is aware and has fixed, or nearly fixed. Perhaps some sort of aural notification from the crew and or textual indicators would help?
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote